Japanese fighter interior colour

Smithy1961

Bought myself a Nakajima Ki84 Hayate in 1/48 scale. Never built anything Japanese before and I'm looking for advice on acrylic paint matches. The plans call for metallic blue green for the interior, dark green (Nakajima) for upper surface and gray green for the lower surface. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Smithy - that's a very tricky subject, can of worms so to speak.

It depends on the exact aircraft you want to build. The combination of green upper and grey lower surfaces is very unlikely. Early Ki-84 were delivered in NMF, some were given a green coat at the depot before going to the unit, i.e. green upper and silver lower (Those are the ones that flaked badly). Later Hayate were factory-camouflaged with olive-brown (JAAF # 7) upper surfaces and brownish-grey under surfaces (This colour was simply a lightened version of the upper surface colour).

Hence, the interior would likely be yellowish olive-green for early, and JAAF # 7 for late production.

One more note: The 'no-step' warning lines were red on NMF (and green) aircraft and yellow on JAAF # 7 aircraft.

I would recommend the respective Colourcoats enamels.

Send me a picture and I can give you better advice. Meanwhile you may want to visit the following topics at 'aviationofjapan.com' -

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2013/11/ijaaf-paint-colour-standard-21.html

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/03/more-about-jaaf-7-ohryoku-nana-go-shoku.html

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2013/11/hayate-thoughts.html

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/11/useful-colours-army-interiors-part-two.html

Cheers, Michael

• Like 4

I've done that in the past, but now understand that it is restricted to internal structures and so wheel wells would be painted over.  I would certainly expect this on naval types where corrosion control is more important.  I can't say for sure about Army aircraft: this late in the war there could be restrictions on the paint availability.

I defer to "Toryu" Michael and Nick Millman on the specifics of the Ki-84!

But aotake was generally not used as a finish coating in crew areas. It was a protective material with no particular hue specified, much like US zinc chromate, German RLM 99, or Italian anti-corrosion green.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

I've just ordered this set IJAAF Colours. They were developed for AK by Nick Millman, author of the Aviation of Japan blog linked to by Toryu above. Given that provenance I don't think you'll find anything more accurate out there today. I note there is no representation of aotake in either that set or the IJN colours so its use in visible areas may be overstated. That doesn't mean it wasn't used, just that I'm not going to worry about it :)

Andy

@MDriskill's comment on aotake's color is the same as I have discovered. There was no specific color used in it. The IJN and IJAAF regulations/comments stated that the interior(s) of aircraft to be sprayed with a lacquer for corrosion protection. Lacquer is colorless; so, a blue or green dye was put in it as a visual marker to show company and/or government inspectors the required areas had been painted. @Foxbat I have the AK interactive sets for the IJN colors, and the IJAAF colors set to which you link(the IJAAF set). Nick Millman did have some input into both sets. They and Jaime's @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies paints are the most accurate IJNAF and IJAAF paints available. Jaime and Stew @Stew Dapple don't offer an aotake color; perhaps we can politely ask them for one. Aeromaster offered IJN and IJAAF paints in their enamels and acrylic paints. I have both sets; but, have never heard/read how accurate they were or were not. Does anyone know? Thanks.

• Like 1

I've recently built a Hasegawa Hayate using information from Nick Millman and from his website and using Sovereign Colourcoats paints and can thoroughly recommend both sources.

Here is my build, it may contain some of the above info.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire
Added link
  • Like 2

Hi Smithy - back from a short vacation I tried to identify those two Hayate proposed by Hasegawa.

The first one from the 22nd Sentai was stationed in Korea at war end. There is a colour picture of a contemporary example painted green (strongly flaked) over silver. It can be assumed that the Hasegawa one was camouflaged similarly.

The second one from the Hitachi School (No. 63) was a second-batch prototype from early 1944. It should have been painted green because the directive of olive-brown camouflage was issued much later. From a b/w picture it appears possible that the lower surfaces were indeed grey and the no-step lines were yellow which would be irregular but not impossible due to the special status of this aircraft.

Cheers, Michael

I was going through the Model Master modelling book(yes, they had one) which has paint chips for their Model Master and Model Master 2 paints. I had forgotten that that Testors had made an aotake paint in their Japanese line. It is called an Interior Metallic Blue paint color. When I looked through my "fast and easy references"; I found that Aeromaster had a blue color aotake in their enamel line of paints. you might find the Testors line in some shops that are selling off the ones still in stock. HTH

Joe

On 9/24/2021 at 7:32 AM, Toryu said:

The first one from the 22nd Sentai was stationed in Korea at war end. There is a colour picture of a contemporary example painted green (strongly flaked) over silver. It can be assumed that the Hasegawa one was camouflaged similarly.

This one?

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Nice pic. Several C-47s and at least one P-38 in the background, two more P-38s behind the row to the right.

It's a pity there's a bunch of Japanese planes in the foreground blocking the view.... :ner:

• Haha 1

They're zero's,  right ?  :P 

--

Looking at what's in the background usually helps pinpointing a timeframe or location.  Who knows, it might even help accept some folks that disposal airframes aren't really great examples of in-service use ;)

• Like 2