My Next Adventure - An Eastern Express 1/72 E.E. Canberra B(I)8

Brigbeale

Tonight, i designed the rear filler piece for the cockpit.

I wanted it to simulate the angled pressure bulkhead as well as fill in the space behind the pilot’s seat.

The cockpit was measured and designed. It turned from a curved top ‘plate’ with the angled bulkhead to a simple curved block with an angled front face. Once the seat is in it’s intended position, the bottom won’t be seen.

I just need to simulate the instrument panel and the control column (with a wide u-shape yoke mad out of a piece of wire).

GFsCDWE.jpg

I’ve also been messing about with the amount of weight needed in the nose to keep it from tail sitting. I’ve got just over 50 grams of curtain weight packed in (dry at the moment). The fuselage was taped back together along with the wings which I temporarily taped on. Two cocktail sticks were placed in the locator holes for the main gear to see if there was enough weight. I might have mere than what’s needed but I have a feeling it’s not going to be a tail sitter.

vYi6D2s.jpg

• Like 8

I 3D printed the instrument panel/front filler piece last night (which fits quite well after a bit of filing here and there, and designed the prototype bomb bay.

This morning, I 3D printed it and tonight, after a bit of sanding of the rough egdes (I need to investigate that), I test fitted it.

It was mostly a good fit but the underside joint between the nose-wheel opening and the bomb bay opening wouldn’t close up, so obviously the forward end was too large for the interior of the fuselage.

f4mTnLy.jpg

I wanted to add some detail as well, so I found and image of a Canberra B2 weapons bay and copied it - kind of😜.

So while I was making adjustments to the sizing, I added a simplified centre ordnance mounting rack.

F8wTIEo.jpg

That’s going to take about four and a half hours to print so I’ll do that tomorrow.

• Like 9

As promised, I printed the revised bomb bay this morning.

80YaNcQ.jpg

This evening, I offered the bomb bay into the fuselage. Something went awry and the front end was still the same size as the previous incarnation. Fortunately, I still had the initial trial disc from the start of the construction of the flight deck, so I used it as a template to trim the excess off and sand it to a round profile. Once trimmed and sanded, it fitted nicely. I then added strips of priming strips from the 3D printer to add more detail to the bomb bay and refitted it with tape to see the results.

xmYsQIR.jpg

It was then time to (finally) break out the airbrush to get some paint into/onto the cockpit parts and on the bomb bay for an undercoat.

3nUKZ3N.jpg

• Like 7

Not yet. My usual postman is on holiday and apparently the delivery round is being covered by other postmen if they want to do it!, so post is sporadic at the moment.

• Sad 1

Tonight I started off by removing the strips on the inside edge of the bomb bay opening. I figured with the bomb bay doors open, these are surplus to requirements. I used my Tamiya scribing tool to keep scribing at each side until they were separated from the fuselage. A light file and sand back and the sides were as I intended.

q9FY7l3.jpg

Mik6Bth.jpg

The next step, after the control column was made, was to use sprue goo to fit the cockpit assembly into the fuselage. The weights were added, but not the full amount that was originally fitted, maybe half a block’s worth. The bomb bay was then fitted and left to sit for a while to set up a bit. Once it was sufficiently dry, I could then think about closing up the fuselage.

A quick check to make sure I hadn’t left anything out and I started to fix the two fuselage halves together starting with the nose section. The two halves fitted together reasonably well despite the lack of locating pins. Once that was taped in while the Mr Cement S sets up (I’ve still not been able to get more Tamiya Extra Thin), I s=wenr round the fuselage a bit at a time to glue and tape it together.

lSEMwn6.jpg

Once the fuselage was cemented and taped, I fitted the instrument panel is but had to trim the fuselage as it no longer fitted like it did when I dry fitted everything together. It fits fine now, so the Martin Baker mk2 ejection seat was glued in position and the canopy test fitted to make sure everything still fitted.

HjVH3oh.jpg

LVVOT7x.jpg
UQkiQ3F.jpg

• Like 7

Why is when I  get settled into doing some modelling recently, I get nothing but interruptions?🤬

Last night all I basically got done on the Canberra was paint some Mr Surfacer 1000 over the centre seam (while trying to watch the Battle of Britain on the tv) which took all of 2 minutes!

The rest of the time I could squeeze in, was spent trying to close the wide gap at the rear of the lower half of a wing as it wasn’t the best of fits out of the box. There was a point just outboard of the engine nacelle which stopped both ends closing in properly. I used a mix of sanding and filing to gradually ease the rear edge of the lower wing to fit and my Tamiya Scriber to sharpen the receiving recess in the top wing half.

The one on the left is the result after sanding. 

jNce0oF.jpg

Some time was also spent measuring up the lower wing and where the featureless main-gear bay is. I found a video on YouTube with somebody doing a review on two 1/48 scale Canberra’s and one had a resin kit with it. The YouTuber showed some close ups of the wheel bays and I screenshotted the image. 

Tonight i sanded back the MrSurfacer to get a smooth finish. It looks good at the moment, but, no doubt it’ll throw up a surprise later on.

X3169EY.jpg

Also, I printed the wheel bay picture and designed my own simplified version with allowances for the original kit provided mounting points for the main-gear. I hope I’ve got them somewhere in the ballpark.

The wheel-bays in Cura (slicing program). One was designed, the sent to  Cura, duplicated and one was then mirrored to print one for the opposite side.

0Vwnt7q.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 6

This morning, I fired up the 3D printer again and printed the two wheel-bays. That took about an hour to print them on the finest layer height.

NSu5QPe.jpg

After a trial fit, I found I needed to take out the inboard side wall (nearest the fuselage) and extend the square end of the landing-gear-mount hole by 0.5mm. They also appeared quite shallow (which occurred to me half way down the stairs this morning after getting up). I set the height for the lower half of the wing but forgot to add the upper wing inner dimension. A quick check with the vernier gauge confirmed that there was enough room for extra height, so I went back to the design program and altered the height by 2mm and adjusted the aforementioned hole. They were printed out also which added about 10 minutes to the print time.

The original 3D printed wheel bay and the redesigned and reprinted wheel bays.

CbHOrh8.jpg

Tonight I set about fitting the wheel bays to the wings. They fitted perfectly so I must be getting better at designing parts - by no means professional standards but adequate for modelling purposes.

The kit wheel bay.

wfxhjKb.jpg

The test fit.

kPSwl3y.jpg

qQjd4lV.jpg

The wheel bays airbrushed with Tamiya Flat Aluminium and the lower wing halves dry fitted.

xa8SfO8.jpg

The wheel bays with my home made black wash painted on for more depth of contrast. I also painted the bomb bay Aluminium and black washed that as well.

vOnGFEg.jpg

VhnPvC9.jpg

I’m happy with the results.

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 10

Tonight I set about applying the strengthening plates to both sides of the fuselage.

But what to make it with?

I could have used Tamiya tape, but I was doubtful it would give a smooth enough finish once painted. I also didn’t want to change it (or any other tape) lifting later on in the model’s life.

So I decided on a thicker aluminium foil. I cut a square of the roll in the kitchen and taped it to my cutting mat.

Using a drawing from @canberra kid’s website, I saved the image and resized it to match the height of the model fuselage. This gave me an approximate size of the plate. 
PuTolNf.png
0wmbtTL.jpg

Once printed, I cut both one half out with a knife and sellotaped it to the other half on the separate drawing making a straight edge along the top. this was then sellotaped to the foil and again cut out with a knife.

I then applied some Clearfix to the back of the ‘plate’ and applied it setting the tip of the ‘v’ against the rear of the wing root and the other end was set half way over the scribed panel line which runs along the side of the fuselage. A cotton bud was used to press the foil flat to the fuselage. This was then followed by a body of a cotton bud to burnish the foil and flatten the edges to smooth out the cut edges.

The same method was used to apply the other side although I simply stuck the foil on the reverse side, and the two plates under the rear stabilisers.

6UfdOBc.jpg

8IXZlgt.jpg

I’ll let them dry before I trim the excess from the ‘v’ sections over the wing roots.

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The foil sections look great, great job.  You'll be doing complete bare metal aircraft models soon!!!

Chris

I had thought of trying it out on a P-47 Thunderbolt I bought ages ago for restoration🤔

• Like 1