The Boeing B-17 STGB2 Chat

vppelt68

17 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Yes please! Probably the Academy “C” built as as Coastal Command heavy.

Looks like our minds have melded as I was planning the same. Resin2Detail had better get that XB-38 released PDQ as my second choice which won't be NMF! I admire your excellent choice sir. I assume you have the recent MMP book.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I assume you have the recent MMP book.

Ha ha, no I don't. What I so have is a kit and an aftermarket decal sheet that I like the look of. (I'm one of those modellers who just likes making models, I don't go a bundle on aviation history or research... I have no idea what an "XB-38" is! 😉)

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, TonyOD said:

Ha ha, no I don't. What I so have is a kit and an aftermarket decal sheet that I like the look of. (I'm one of those modellers who just likes making models, I don't go a bundle on aviation history or research... I have no idea what an "XB-38" is! 😉)

That sounds fine to me. Anything you need to know I'll have it to hand. 👍

This is so good looking I think I may be swayed regardless

spacer.png

I'm thinking 381BG RAF Ridgewell Essex 1944 OD over NG Grew up about three miles away from there and that big white triangle looks good with the red bits.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I'm thinking 381BG RAF Ridgewell Essex 1944 OD over NG Grew up about three miles away from there and that big red triangle looks good.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Although... Big red triangle does not sound familiar :hmmm:

The 1st Combat Bombardment Wing (1st CBW) then consisting of the 91st, 381st and 398th Bombardment Groups, was the first CBW that began adding colour to their aircraft to aid in formation assembly. In late June to early July EDIT: 1944 of course! all of their B-17:s had an 80" wide stripe/fin center panel, stabilizers and wing tips painted insignia red. Rudder and elevators were not painted. The group symbol triangles remained black for most aircraft, but some OD/NG Fortresses (esp. 91st BG) retained white triangles especially on the starboard wing top (also in 381st BG). Soon other CBW:s followed; the 303rd BG of the 41st CBW painted a large red frame around their white triangle with group symbol C.

I'm sure you meant the red empennage and not a red triangle, so you, @RJ-WobblyHands and me can build a three plane element of Forts with the Triangle-L :yahoo:. Or more! V-P

• Thanks 1

Remember THIS photo from the last GB?

spacer.png

Well it's been located!! Not by SleeperDad but by A.N. Other Between Sawston and Stapleford Cambridgeshire. That colour scheme looks fantastic. From the link the first 8AF plane to complete 100 missions w/out an abort while with 533BS 381BG on 11 Jan 1944.

The house with the circular drive is Stapleford Grange off the A1301 Cambridge Road, the road beneath the left wingtip leads to Dernfold Farm. Stapleford village is in the background.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SleeperService said:

This is so good looking I think I may be swayed regardless

It is indeed a sexy looking plane with all those pointy bits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Remember THIS photo from the last GB?

Thanks for the locating info! It was indeed an inspirational picture, and it didn't hurt that the Dreambaby carried my initials on her!

Not even close to take-off or landing in Ridgewell, Lucky ME! (42-31570) in the background has her tailwheel down. Maybe they needed that practice mission! A nice trio of OD/NG BOEING built Fortresses, with Minnie the Mermaid (42-31614) leading Lucky ME! and Dreambaby.

V-P(P)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Thanks for the locating info! It was indeed an inspirational picture, and it didn't hurt that the Dreambaby carried my initials on her!

Not even close to take-off or landing in Ridgewell, Lucky ME! (42-31570) in the background has her tailwheel down. Maybe they needed that practice mission! A nice trio of OD/NG BOEING built Fortresses, with Minnie the Mermaid (42-31614) leading Lucky ME! and Dreambaby.

V-P(P)

Obviously knew that you'd be looking at her many years later.

They may be closer to take-off than you think I'm going to find out where the station's assembly areas were as this looks like a formation exercise to bring new pilots up to speed. It's only a few minutes flying time from t/off after all. Note the white bars on each wingtip too.

• Like 1

According to Mighty Eighth War Manual by Roger A. Freeman, the 381st assembled circling clockwise around their own airfield.

I hadn't realized they were white bars in the wingtips, somehow I had thought they just for a reason or another had left the wing tip vents unpainted. One lives, one learns :coolio:. V-P

• 3 weeks later...

"Life is like a box of choc... Fortresses"

2021-10-27_07-52-10

I now need to take a new pic of all these together...

2021-01-22_10-30-34

...except I have just bought :whistle: a Monogram 1:48 kit, so maybe I'll wait until it gets here too :winkgrin:. Come on, hop in, you know you want to!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I should probably get one of these three in then ;)
The F may become a Coastal Command Fortress II.

Although Carolina Moon is also an option... There's a SuperScale decal sheet with better nose-art than Academy's poor rendition as well. 

y4m2kcPuy41YWF-bNx9co1OjJEQGyI2bWR-LCU2i

• Like 3

• vppelt68 changed the title to The Boeing B-17 STGB vol.2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello V-P even though I've got this one tentatively penciled in for the Transports group build. If for some reason that build doesn't get through the Bunfight. Id like to build Col. Robert McCormick’s B-17G that was converted into a personal executive aircraft. 

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-boeing-b-17g-44-85507-n5116n-chicago-tribune-c50-55186222.html

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/b17registry/b17-4485507.html

https://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=6752

I spent last Wednesday at the McCormick/1st Infantry museum collecting data and photo’s of the plane. The goal is to use either the 1/48 Monogram “G” or the 1/48 Revell “F” as a starting point. Ive wanted to build this plane for almost 30yrs now. I plan on doing a full interior and cutaway build. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Despite having more kit builds than I can handle, currently and planned, I've found myself down the shed this morning digging out the storage box with B17 written on it.

Here's some of the contents:

20211206-105638.jpg

20211206-105648.jpg

The odd scale Lindberg kit is missing its decals. If anyone has a set and could be persuaded to part with them, this kit could finally get built.

The big red Airfix box has around four builder kits waiting their turn. There are also a few nearly dones and a Monogram/Revell 1.48 that's part built stored elsewhere.

With luck, and a fair wind, I'll get the nearlydones finished by the time the GB kicks off.

• Like 3

Hi V-P

I just noticed you have a Matchbox B-17 lurking in the stash, will we see it making an appearance in the forthcoming Matchbox GB ?

By the way I found myself getting an Academy "Memphis Belle " recently,  which whilst a bargain was certainly something I didn't really need !

You are a shockingly bad influence :doh:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

You are a shockingly bad influence :doh:

Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne? :winkgrin:

Rest assured, Pat, my Matchbox Fortress kit was earmarked to its correct GB a looong time ago and it's on the Dave's what to build- list too 🙂.

Nice purchase, Pat. V-P

• Like 1