The Boeing B-17 STGB2 Chat

vppelt68

27 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Check your Monogram kit, it does indeed have all the dimples for the various formation and identification lights. They are marked on the "El Lobo II" painting diagrams too. Nav lights are shown on the "Chow Hound" diagrams.

V-P

I've twigged my error when looking through the parts and instructions. I meant those lights cunningly disguised as vents weren't there :)

@Bertie Psmith The joy of finding you are an eletricky engineer rather than a charred and smoking bod better suited to plumbing 🤣 the comment about the ID lights I shall remember for future reference and may admit that I didn't know that until just now.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

the comment about the ID lights I shall remember for future reference and may admit that I didn't know that until just now.

If you mean the very dark filters, that applied to the red/green nav lights too on many aircraft of the seventies and earlier. Really thick dark coloured glass but when lit up, very bright and with very intense colour. 

I note that restored warbirds almost always have updated lighting with clear covers and coloured lamps which is probably a legal requirement these days, but which confuses modellers who use them as a reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While on the subject of lights, I recall reading an article years ago about a Spitfire (?) pilot flying on a misty night during the wartime blackout. He spotted a red glow on the ground and circled it for some time trying to fix its position for the Police to investigate. He was inadvertently losing height and tightening his turn radius and nearly crashed but realised just in time that he was orbiting his own port navigation lamp reflecting from the mist!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...

One year I'll stick to my vow of not signing up to so many GBs, and even completing the ones that I participate in; there again there's another year for that!

17 August 2023 will be the 80th anniversary of the Schweinfurt/ Regensburg mission so it would be rude not to. Perhaps one of the B'17s on the shuttle mission to Regensburg and onto N. Africa

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Although shweinfurt/ Regensburg got postponed it's widely believed that the eventual date was deliberately selected from the available ones for this reason 

Yes indeed, it was selected to mark the first anniversary of the VIII BC operations. It turned out to be indeed an anniversary to remember 😞. The 381st BG was the hardest hit with 11 planes that failed to return. V-P

http://www.rafcamuseum.co.uk/pages/03.pdf 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, VP

I got two more boxes of B17 Hasegawa!🤭

stock_11.jpg

A friend of mine inherited a stock of models, and he sent them to me.

I am in a panic because I have so many forts to build!:huh:

The Hasegawa decals being unfortunately unusable, I hesitate for the decoration of the F model:
_ either make the B17E, callsign 419100, Birmingham Blitzkrieg, Assembly ship of the 379BG,
_ or make the B17F, callsign 42-5077, Delta Rebel from 91BG. 

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

Hello, all!

I have THE project to put a 1/72nd scale B17 in a diorama (another one!) with DOZENS of figures.:yikes:
To see it, you will have to vote for this group build! :bleh: :rolleyes:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 08:34, vppelt68 said:

"A most appropriate calendar slot would begin from Saturday, October 14 2023 - marking exactly 80 years since the notorious second Schweinfurt mission - to January 14 2024."

Should this GB go through and the GB God(s) :giggle:  be merciful upon us when wrapping up next year's Calendar, on this date in 2023 we shall hopefully begin the B-17 STGB Vol.2. Meanwhile, we can take a look at the dreadful and tragic events that took place above Festung Europa 14.10.1943, 79 years ago today (The link leads to National Museum of the Eighth Air Force fb-site, and their Target For Today- presentation by Sue Fox Meyer on "Black Thursday"). V-P

https://fb.watch/g8NTcqx5dv/

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 3:16 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

I was going to be starting a b-17 soon to replace a damaged build, but good chance this goes through so Ill assume it is, repair the build and save the new one for this, hopefully its fairly early in the year 

A year away, seems so far…anyway repaired the build, not quite a perfect paint match inboard the inner starboard nacelle (the olive drab I used was an unusually green example of the brand which as it happened was appropriate for the subject). 6472935-A-7-C9-F-4-B63-899-A-44386-B9-DC

• Like 3

THIS has just appeared on my Youtube feed

I have also received the Civilised Models XB-38 conversion which looks quite usable even if some parts are not included such as the ball turret and sighting dome windows. The instructions are good and it seems to be well thought out.

:jump_fire: I MUST NOT START IT YET :hourglass:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

THIS has just appeared on my Youtube feed

I have also received the Civilised Models XB-38 conversion which looks quite usable even if some parts are not included such as the ball turret and sighting dome windows. The instructions are good and it seems to be well thought out.

:jump_fire: I MUST NOT START IT YET :hourglass:

I have an SMS saying THAT BOOK is waiting for me to pick it up from my post agent today :thumbsup:. It's been a long wait! V-P

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, vppelt68 said:

She's a beauty, Stu! I have never seen a pic of a single shade olive drab B-17 anyway, so it's actually more accurate this way 🙂

Cheers, indeed photos of the real thing show a slight variation over the wing area in the green, but have since repainted with the less green version of the same branded OD on the P-47 once realised just how close it is once matted down, can you tell where the green drab meets the olive drab, I can't and I know where it does. D9733-F02-E0-E0-4-CAC-9-EEC-E2-BFD79-F2-

• Like 3

• vppelt68 changed the title to The Boeing B-17 STGB2 (5.8.-5.11.2023)
On 21/10/2022 at 12:51, PhantomBigStu said:

Cheers, indeed photos of the real thing show a slight variation over the wing area in the green, but have since repainted with the less green version of the same branded OD on the P-47 once realised just how close it is once matted down, can you tell where the green drab meets the olive drab, I can't and I know where it does. D9733-F02-E0-E0-4-CAC-9-EEC-E2-BFD79-F2-

Very sad news from the air show circuit today. In a Dallas air show, the Texas Raiders had a fatal mid-air collision with a P-63 fighter. I don't believe there would be any survivers 😞

• Sad 7

How does that happen? There was perfect visibility. It looks like that P-63 was doing a taran (ramming attack) on that B-17 (let me make clear I'm not suggesting it was deliberate).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.