The Boeing B-17 STGB2 Chat

vppelt68

I'm about to start painting the exhausts of my KUTA B-17 build. For reference, I took a look at my Dreambaby painted and built three years ago. I think it was the right thing to do! I also think I did a lot of things just right back then, and I'll be a happy pup... kitten if I can ever do this again :whistle:

2021-12-13_09-21-11

• Like 5

• vppelt68 changed the title to The Boeing B-17 STGB vol.2 is -2 only
  • 2 weeks later...

A late Christmas present for you V-P, from my stash...

AVvXsEgdNZOvmdjyslSwwmiMi8M-X4qov5t_y1Ts

This 'Air Giant' is actually only 1/200 scale, but looks neat enough.  So please sign me up too :thumbsup2:

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to The Boeing B-17 STGB vol.2 is -1 only!
1 minute ago, vppelt68 said:

Shall I add your name to the list, mr. DF-K a.k.a @Rabbit Leader :winkgrin:?

Ha!! I didn’t know this one was around…. Why not VP there’s plenty of possibilities and who doesn’t love a GB full of B-17’s? 

Cheers and thanks for the tap on the shoulder.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to The Boeing B-17 STGB vol.2 is in the Bunfight!
  • vppelt68 changed the title to The Boeing B-17 STGB vol.2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello to all,

I was wandering around the Group Build Matchbox, looking for a B17 build, and I ended up here.
I'm an incorrigible enthusiast when it comes to Boeing's four-engine aircraft. Can you count me as a spare that would replace a possible defection of a corum member needed for the final bunfight? 

I was too small to participate in the first group build on the B17, but now I am big! 😋

If I have to prove my attachment to this big bird, I present a picture from my 1/72th collection. I'm terribly sorry to sound pretentious!:

14411.jpg

And one is missing, at 1/48th (a real big bottom bird!😁)

Unfortunately, I acquired a new box of B17G Hasegawa at a low price. This box has just added to my stock of B17 to-dos. Could I play with you? 

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Edited by Snafu35
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello to all,

I was wandering around the Group Build Matchbox, looking for a B17 build, and I ended up here.
I'm an incorrigible enthusiast when it comes to Boeing's four-engine aircraft. Can you count me as a spare that would replace a possible defection of a corum member needed for the final bunfight? 

I was too small to participate in the first group build on the B17, but now I am big! 😋

If I have to prove my attachment to this big bird, I present a picture from my 1/72th collection. I'm terribly sorry to sound pretentious!:

14411.jpg

And one is missing, at 1/48th (a real big bottom bird!😁)

Unfortunately, I acquired a new box of B17G Hasegawa at a low price. This box has just added to my stock of B17 to-dos. Could I play with you? 

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

:wow:

So happy to have you with us! V-P

With the Matchbox GB and Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB soon starting, and also the KUTA GB still running in the background, I thought I'd take a pic of my B-17 stash while it's at its peak. Later this year the Monogram GB snatches one kit from the pile, which should then be nearly halved.

2022-01-07_04-24-29

The Stage Door Canteen (in KUTA) is so close to finishing I didn't even add her in this pic. The Academy kit is started but then disassembled. She'll probably end up in the KUTA too, time permitting. All the other kits are untouched.

• Like 2

Hello VP,

I see that we are equal in the number of B17 boxes to be built:

stock_10.jpg

I'm a cheater, because the B17 Airfix at the top of the pile is already started!😋

I understand that you are also going to participate in the Monogram group build to build your 1/48 model, right? 

I had the idea to do the same...🤭

Looking forward to sharing in these future group buids...

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

It's a tie, Eric, as my sole Academy kit is also started, stalled and then dumped but fortunately resurrected, I hope :whistle:

My big B-17 is indeed destined for the Monogram Classic GB. It is *tadaa* the first 1:48 scale aircraft kit I have ever owned. It will probably be the last too, I find it rather difficult do find space for even model that big. I may or may not try to improve some of its details/correct its shortcomings, but it will certainly get aftermarket decals for 381st BG.

V-P

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Hi All

In an earlier post I stated that the markings on the wingtips were white. I've just found this photo which shows that they were aluminium.

spacer.png

I don't recognise the book so have asked the poster for details.

V-P are talking the fuel dump vents, or some other marking's ? 

On 28/09/2021 at 14:54, vppelt68 said:

I hadn't realized they were white bars in the wingtips, somehow I had thought they just for a reason or another had left the wing tip vents unpainted. One lives, one learns :coolio:. V-P

26 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Hi All

In an earlier post I stated that the markings on the wingtips were white. I've just found this photo which shows that they were aluminium.

2022-01-14_10-35-09

Lucky me! Dennis yes, these were the wing tip vents for the later model added wing tanks a.k.a Tokyo tanks. There were two types but I can´t recall which one of the BVD-pool used the single one. V-P

• Like 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to The Boeing B-17 STGB vol.2 (B-17STGB-2-BM)

Good morning, all.

If I may state my meagre knowledge, I would like to make some clarifications about these wingtip vents.

These hatches allowed the petrol vapours contained in the wing tanks to escape into the atmosphere and thus avoid explosions in flight.

Tested on B17Gs of the Fifteenth AAF, these vents were first available in kits that allowed modifications by the Air Depots. 
They were installed in production from the

_ block B17G-15-BO (s/n 42-31332 and following) from October 1943,

- block B17G-25-DL ( s/n 42- 37989 and following) from Décember 1943,

- block B17G-?-VE (s/n ?) from late 1943.

This request for an aerator effectively followed the installation of the Tokyo tanks, as " while the additional fuel extended range and allowed distant targets to be attacked from the UK, the tanks were posing a hazard in that when they were empty and fume-filled an incendiary bullet could ignite an explosion sufficient to blow off the wing section. A study of losses revealed that 36 per cent of bomberswent down on fire and that 20 per cent of these were fires in the outer wing sections. A further analysis showed that 15 per cent of bombers were lost to explosions and in 45 per cent of these the explosion occured in the wings (...) Some reduction of this hazard was achieved by incorporating small vents in the outer wing section to allow fresh air to drive out the fumes that accumulated around these tanks if they were badly holed and leaked - a modification that originated with the italian-based B17 groups." 

in: The B17 Story, page 49, from R.A. Freeman and D.Osborne.  1998 Arms and Armour Publication  

These tanks were introduced as standard beginning in the following production blocks, and all subsequent ones:

- B-17F-25-DL  (s/n 42-3074 and other from January 3, 1943)

- B-17F-30-VE  (s/n 42-5855 and other from March 8, 1943)

- B-17F-80-BO (s/n 42-29932 and other from March 19,1943)

None? One hatch? Two?. The observation of the photographs is a judge of peace, because before the systematization on the production lines, it depended on the passage of the planes in the air depots. (like the installation of the Cheyenne turret).

But after all, the most important thing is to enjoy yourself, I think.😉

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35   

• Thanks 2

Eric, thanks a zillion! Your post proves that a good modelling forum (like Britmodeller, what else?) is also a good source for relevant prototype information. Now let's link this to 1:72 B-17G model kit information:

- Academy no vents

- Airfix old tool no vents

- Airfix recent tool dual vents

- Hasegawa dual vents

- Matchbox no vents

- Revell single vents

Is that all? In 1:48

- Monogram no vents

- HK EDIT: single vents

Maybe someone can check the HK 1:32 scaler  and the Lindberg 1:64th scale too?

V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

I'm really glad I posted that photo. Thank You all for filling in one of many gaps in my knowledge. I though they were some sort of formation light as the Monogram kit in 1/48 has nothing there....

Check your Monogram kit, it does indeed have all the dimples for the various formation and identification lights. They are marked on the "El Lobo II" painting diagrams too. Nav lights are shown on the "Chow Hound" diagrams.

V-P

1 minute ago, vppelt68 said:

formation lights

They are Downward Identification Lights. They were wired to a Morse key and a selector switch so that the crewman concerned could signal a the word and colour of the day to friendly defences on the ground.

y4mwk5_aZHfY0oY7GYOKrq9KLgXxBWrzdRmqruTQ

There were variations, this (broken) controller is from a Mosquito which also carried Upward Ident Lights, but only in one colour, it appears.

One of my first tasks in training at RAF Halton in 1974 was wiring up a set of these on a practice rig. We were using Lancaster parts then.

Incidentally, the coloured filters on the lamps were so densely pigmented that unless the lights were switched on, and you could only light one colour at a time, they appeared black. The photo of the model is therefore a little misleading.

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

They are Downward Identification Lights. They were wired to a Morse key and a selector switch so that the crewman concerned could signal a the word and colour of the day to friendly defences on the ground.

y4mwk5_aZHfY0oY7GYOKrq9KLgXxBWrzdRmqruTQ

There were variations, this (broken) controller is from a Mosquito which also carried Upward Ident Lights, but only in one colour, it appears.

One of my first tasks in training at RAF Halton in 1974 was wiring up a set of these on a practice rig. We were using Lancaster parts then.

Incidentally, the coloured filters on the lamps were so densely pigmented that unless the lights were switched on, and you could only light one colour at a time, they appeared black. The photo of the model is therefore a little misleading.

Thank you Bertie, as a clarification to all others: I first had a model photo and completely different, false caption to it. Once again I thought I could quickly edit the post before anyone notices it :doh:

You are correct of course and I know I first wrote about the id-, not formation lights. The model is misleading like you say but I did that on purpose, just to show they are there.

V-P

• Like 1