Kitty Hawk Jaguar GR3 1/48

DrumBum

Your persistence has paid off. I also would love a 1/48 Jaguar but this kit just scares me. You're not the first one to comment on its shortcomings. 

I built their AH1Z and its not great either but I think the Jaguar is one of their worst kits.

Maybe one day if I see it for super cheap! It can obviously be built up into something very nice as you have clearly shown!

Wow!   For a poor kit, it resulted in a magnificent scale model! :clap2:  Man, that is a great looking Jaguar and one I would be proud to claim.   Very well done DrumBum, go have that short and frosty one now!! 🍻  (well, I do recognize that it might be a wee bit early on the West Coast for a beer, but it will be 5 o'clock before long!  😄)

This really looks great!  I also built the KH Jaguar and will echo your comments but at least my decals were good.  But my biggest takeaway from the kit is it was just designed strangely which is what actually created most of my problems.  But it is buildable with effort and as you have shown it is possible to end up with a great looking aircraft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Nice build and good finish. Just one note - you can't get both spoilers up together on a Jag ( unless you've disconnected them ! )

Ah ok, I guess they are roll spoilers? I couldnt find a single pic of the spoilers in raised position and didnt have a clue what detail to add inside the spoiler panels. Thanks for the info, cheers.

35 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Stunning build. I see you corrected the underwing pylons to the British pattern too.

I’ve had one on a stutter and stop for several years. I do aim to complete it someday

Trevor

I didnt know there were different pylons? I just installed them as provided. 

52 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

This really looks great!  I also built the KH Jaguar and will echo your comments but at least my decals were good.  But my biggest takeaway from the kit is it was just designed strangely which is what actually created most of my problems.  But it is buildable with effort and as you have shown it is possible to end up with a great looking aircraft.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I had heard that the decals can be lousy and sure enough....Interestingly I have built the KH Super Etendard and have another SE on the shelf and I noticed the decals between the two kits are very different, colors are totally different and one has a shiny finish to them and the other is matt.

Thanks for the feedback folks, very encouraging.

To add to my opening comments, its a frustrating kit but totally do-able. My frustration is that now I have discovered panel washes and its difficult to complete a nice panel wash without scribed panel lines and this kit lost most of the panel lines in the putty/sand/putty/sand/give up/putty/sand....routine. My rescribing skills are poor so it left the kit without much surface detail.