RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Julien

@Julien , the ZX Spectrum was my first computer. In fact, I would guess that for a substantial percentage of BM'ers, a ZX81 or Spectrum was their first comuter.

I always remember him in interviews as terrifically gung ho about his computers, the C%, notwithstanding the failure it was, and another engineer/inventor/scientist has gone. RIP.

I had the top-of-the-line Spectrum with disc drive.

The C5 was actually very popular around the town of Dungannon, which is built on the top of a steep hill. Local car dealer sold quite a few of them. Many people there were disappointed that C5 was discontinued

Aye - sad to see another of the great innovators go!

He was definitely the one responsible for getting me into computing back in the day. Started out with a ZX81, then the old rubber keypad ZX Spectrum. I even bought the add on (wobbly) memory pack, and even a printer attachment! Then came the Spectrum+ with a much better (almost proper) keyboard. Then he sold the Spectrum name to Amstrad. Then we had the Spectrum +2 (never bought it) with the attached tape player for loading games, then the Spectrum +3 with attached disk drives (which I did buy!)

You know, the Spectrum (in its day) had one of the fastest micro-processors for a home computer in the Z-80! Then in the Plus series of spectrums, they had one of of the most powerful built in music chips for the day! He definitely got a lot of people in the computing world of today started out on his computers.

(Also remember the competition of the day - you either had a ZX Spectrum or a Commodore 64 - bit like PC or Mac today!)💻

(And yes I am a real computer geek knowing the stuff above!🧐)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Aye - sad to see another of the great innovators go!

He was definitely the one responsible for getting me into computing back in the day. Started out with a ZX81, then the old rubber keypad ZX Spectrum. I even bought the add on (wobbly) memory pack, and even a printer attachment! Then came the Spectrum+ with a much better (almost proper) keyboard. Then he sold the Spectrum name to Amstrad. Then we had the Spectrum +2 (never bought it) with the attached tape player for loading games, then the Spectrum +3 with attached disk drives (which I did buy!)

You know, the Spectrum (in its day) had one of the fastest micro-processors for a home computer in the Z-80! Then in the Plus series of spectrums, they had one of of the most powerful built in music chips for the day! He definitely got a lot of people in the computing world of today started out on his computers.

(Also remember the competition of the day - you either had a ZX Spectrum or a Commodore 64 - bit like PC or Mac today!)💻

(And yes I am a real computer geek knowing the stuff above!🧐)

I remember having the 16K (Massive at the time) RAM for the ZX-81 having to blue-tac everything to a board to stop it moving. 

Have to say then went to Commodore after the ZX, then an Apple ][e

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Julien said:

Have to say then went to Commodore after the ZX, then an Apple ][e

Well that explains the apple usage then.... Never used a commie 64, stayed with Spectrum - went to PC!!!! 😆

Sad to  hear of his death. He was truly an innovator. Sadly I  never could afford one of his ZX computers. All I  could do was look at them on display in the shops.

I remember the build-up to the Sinclair C5 and the disappointment when it was revealed. On the other hand it now looks ahead of its time given all those electric scooters zooming around lately.

RIP

RIP Clive

Had the 48K with rubber keys, Brother an myself clubbed together, Then upgraded Keyboard, Cartridge add on and interfaces for 2 Joysticks, , bout 2 games only I had on Cartridge, Asteroids was one. 100's of games from Taping from Sharing with other lads, Probably still have the tapes and PC somewhere! Hours playing beach head and combat Lynx. People would laugh at the games now but Imagination played a huge role I think creating what was missing. Best Game I though ever was R-Tpye. I'd love that for the PS.

• Like 1

The company I worked for had a ZX80 delivered to them by mistake. They couldn't get it returned so I 'borrowed' it and showed off my programming skills (as interesting as showing someone all your holiday snaps) to friends and relatives by getting it to display such stuff as 'Hello what's your name?'  and 'Nice to meet you Fred'. The wonders of what you could do in 1K - I loved it of course.

And of course I bought a Spectrum as soon as it came out. The happy hours I spent cross legged on the floor in front of the telly. Sensible Soccer and The Hobbit ('pick up dead warg') occupied far too much time.

Thank you Sir Clive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started out with a ZX81 but decamped to the Commodore 64 when I could convince my folks to get me a better machine.  A friend and I wrote a game called Slayer, which was a rip of R-Type that I noticed someone mentioned earlier.

I've currently got 2 ZX81s - one a rare series 1 with wavy traces on the motherboard, a Spectrum 48k, and a bunch of other retro PCs of various brands.  I missed out on the later  Sinclair QL, as the prices started to rise before I got into them.  Apparently, it was a good machine, but was let down by the push toward being a business machine.  Oh, and the tapes, which would unspool at the drop of a hat. :owww:

RIP Sir Clive.  You sparked an interest in computers in a generation of British kids. :yes:

• Like 1

It was laughed at because it was underpowered, short ranged and dangerous on the roads.  The problem with having ideas before their time is just that: the technology isn't up to achieving useful results.  As Hugo Junkers said  "ideas are as cheap as strawberries".  (Possibly not an exact translation.)

25 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It was laughed at because it was underpowered, short ranged and dangerous on the roads.  The problem with having ideas before their time is just that: the technology isn't up to achieving useful results.  As Hugo Junkers said  "ideas are as cheap as strawberries".  (Possibly not an exact translation.)

So electric scooters today aren't dangerous!,there's no problem with having ideas as long as they're allowed to develope just ask Barnes Wallis...

Edit: When is the best time for idea's because if they don't come first then the tec wouldn't be pushed to develope....

Edited by Vince1159

The C5 wasn't an electric scooter but a single-seater car.  Anyone using an electric scooter on public roads is a fool, but an upright fool is more visible than one lying on his back.  Wallis did  not invent/develop anything beyond the technology of the time: in this particular case Sinclair did.  Ideas to be developed  require needs and markets: the C5 met neither.   It has taken a long time  for electric cars to even begin to achieve their potential, but the idea goes back a long way.

24 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The C5 wasn't an electric scooter but a single-seater car.  Anyone using an electric scooter on public roads is a fool, but an upright fool is more visible than one lying on his back.  Wallis did  not invent/develop anything beyond the technology of the time: in this particular case Sinclair did.  Ideas to be developed  require needs and markets: the C5 met neither.   It has taken a long time  for electric cars to even begin to achieve their potential, but the idea goes back a long way.

Fair enough...