1/48th AMP Bristol Sycamore, 118 Sqn based in Northern Ireland, 1960`s

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I started off building this model using the initial release of the Sycamore by AMP but I soon realised that this Australian boxing did not have the right rear doors to build an RAF version,...... so I ordered the later boxing with the clear bulged side doors instead and left the initial kit to do an RAN aircraft at a later date. I had intending on cutting the rear cabin doors from the initial kit, but it soon proved very difficult to remove the rear doors from the clear glazing sections, hence buying the second kit,....because the 118 Sqn aircraft that I was seeking to replicate were fitted with these as well as having the doors removed. 

Talking of the subject,..... before the full scale troubles erupted in Northern Ireland in 1969 and required the British Army to be deployed en masse, Republican IRA terrorists had been conducting a Border Campaign along the border area between Eire and Northern Ireland since 1956 and to help the Royal Ulster Constabulary in the task of combating this the RAF`s Search and Rescue roled Bristol Sycamores of 275 Sqn ( later renumbered s 228 Sqn) were used when available to help their mobility. This ad hoc help was put on a more permanent footing in September 1959 when 118 Sqn (which had recently disbanded as a Hunter unit in W. Germany) was stood up as a dedicated Internal Security unit at RAF Aldergrove equipped with 4 Sycamores under the direction of 39 Infantry Bde whose soldiers were also assisting the RUC.  The Sycamores proved highly successful in the anti terrorist role until the Border Campaign ceased in 1962, developing tactics and procedures such as  border recce, cordon and search, troop drops, border crossing inspections etc which helped pave the way for helicopter tactics used from 1969 when the terrorism increased to such an extent that Operation Banner began, otherwise known as the North Ireland `Trouble's (although make no bone about it,..... it was actually a war!) with aircraft like the Scout, Lynx, Wessex, Puma, Sea King and Chinook taking on the role of the Sycamore over the years..

Here is the subject of the model,.... I was going to have a go at hand painting the tail rotor danger marking,.... but then stuck with oe of the kit options,..... after all it `might; have received a more standard marking like the rest of the units aircraft,......  well that`s my excuse anyway LOL;

img-76-1-53.jpgSycamore-HR-14-XG502-118-sqn-at-RAF-Upav

Here is the WIP;

Here is the model;

DSCF2223-NEW.jpg

DSCF2221-NEW.jpg

DSCF2219-NEW.jpg

DSCF2235-NEW.jpg

DSCF2232-NEW.jpg

DSCF2227-NEW.jpg

DSCF2225-NEW.jpg

DSCF2237-NEW.jpg

DSCF2203-NEW.jpg

DSCF2239-NEW.jpg

DSCF2201-NEW.jpg

DSCF2229-NEW.jpg

DSCF2200-NEW.jpg

DSCF2204-NEW.jpg

DSCF2196-NEW.jpg

DSCF2210-NEW.jpg

DSCF2244-NEW.jpg

For anybody interested,..... this is an excellent book dealing with this subject;

9781780730462-us.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 65

1 hour ago, Blue Monday said:

Very nice Sycamore from a disturbing period in Anglo-Irish history. Hopefully the bad old days never return.

BM. 

Thanks mate and I totally agree,...... bad old days alright. 

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Nicely done

But Blimey, that day-glow would have put any terrorist right off his aim

Thanks mate,..... yeah tis a bit bright,..... it is even brighter for real,....... it would certainly make you quint a bit looking through a sight.

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's a great model Tony,  looks an interesting machine in a cracking scheme. Great work and interesting backround of troubled times.

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... I`ve always fancied doing a Sycamore in this scheme so it is one ticked off the list. Lots of people know about the `troubles' from 1969 but not so much about the earlier Border Campaign' which resulted in the deaths of 5 RUC men and 10 terrorists if I remember correctly. As well as their policing purpose the Sycamores also carried urgent casualties to hospital and even took Santa to children`s homes over the festive season as well as other more peaceful purposes too!

NWS-20130717-New-012-28278245-I1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Choppers are not usually my main interest but i have to say.. this looks amazing Tony. superb weathering! a very convincing model ! Beautifully executed! Thanks for showing this!

Thanks mate,..... glad that I turned your eye with this one then and thanks for your very kind remarks. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Lovely work, what a gorgeous finish and such an eye-catching (eye searing?) scheme!

Thanks mate,.... and yes, rather searing,..... but don`t blame me,.... blame the RAF!! 

4 hours ago, junglierating said:

Fab job To Tonyot  and BZ for Mentioning the Junglie input 👏

Let hope all this recent uncertainty doesn't make the PP go backwards 

Thanks mate and no worries re the Junglies,........ I have a lot to thank a Jungly Sea King crew for,....... top notch blokes. Aye,.... lets hope that NI doesn`t slip backwards. 

2 hours ago, petetasker said:

Lovely build. The Sycamore was one of those aircraft that just didn’t look right sat on the ground - or even in the air for that matter.

Thanks mate,..... oh I don`t know, I think it looks quite graceful really....... a bit like a flying jenny...... sycamore seed.

1 hour ago, Jon Bryon said:

I really like these AMP helicopters (I built the HUK-1 Huskie last year and it was the most fun kit I've built in ages) and this is great inspiration for the Sycamore in my stash. Thanks for sharing.

Jon

Cheers Jon,....... yeah I enjoyed this one too but the small parts were rather fragile and many had broken on the sprues before I even opened the box. 

• Like 1

Definitely an unusual subject and colour scheme. Done to your usual high standards, Tony.

The Day-Glo looks great. Although you might have thought camouflage might be more appropriate.

As for the border 'campaign'. It was an exercise in futility and in any case was snuffed out when the authorities North and South rounded up and interned the usual subjects. 

It was a pity lessons weren't learned back then.

Anyway another really interesting model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Definitely an unusual subject and colour scheme. Done to your usual high standards, Tony.

The Day-Glo looks great. Although you might have thought camouflage might be more appropriate.

As for the border 'campaign'. It was an exercise in futility and in any case was snuffed out when the authorities North and South rounded up and interned the usual subjects. 

It was a pity lessons weren't learned back then.

Anyway another really interesting model.

Cheers Noel and yes,.... if only they had learned the lessons eh,....... would have saved so much death, destruction and hatred eh?  

Re camouflage,..... they did actually realise that their overall yellow or solver and dayglow Sycamores were rather garish for the role they were assigned and at least one was camouflage,..... looks like glossy grey and green with silver undersides to me,..... I just didn`t fancy that one!

CMR-27-XG544-118-Sqn-N-Ireland-rare-sche

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

That's a great looking model and a interesting back story too.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan, glad you like it and the story. 

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Great looking Sycamore there Tony. Really good work with the dayglo orange too.

Cheers Russ,..... glad you like it mate and the dayglow may have been beginners luck? 

Edited by tonyot

On 9/18/2021 at 1:13 AM, Dunny said:

Lovely build of an unusual subject Tony. What paint did you use for the Dayglo - asking for a friend? 😉

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,...... I used Humbrol Dayglow rattle can spray paint, over a white base,.... I`m pretty sure I put a photo of it in the WIP?

I have to say that you've done a wonderful job with that! I am captivated by the look of the Sycamore. To me it has such a biomechanical insect look to it that I can't seem to look away! Well done!

• Like 1

A very nice finish on your Sycamore Tony. That dayglo would have been hard to miss.

I lived in Londonderry in 1958-59 but was too young to remember it. My Dad was in the RN at RNAS Eglington.

I many trips to Belfast during the 1980's to visit my late grandparents. They were strange times. People just lived with the threat of terrorism, bombings and murders.

BTW there is a Sycamore in the Aussie FAA museum at Nowra, NSW, a couple of hours from where I live.

I took these a few months ago when the museum was open in between covid lockdowns

P1040581

P1040579

• Like 1