F3 hindenburgers...now colours!

mackem01

Does anyone know with certainty if the following used hindenburgers while in commemorative markings:

ZE809/EZ when in 23 sqn 

75th anniversary markings.

ZH555/CV when in 5 sqn 

90th anniversary markings.

Just taken them off the shelf of doom

Intending to finish them.

T.I.A...

Edited by mackem01
  • Like 1

• mackem01 changed the title to F3 hindenburgers...now colours!

After that lovely photo from Blackjet, I'd like to request some info on the colours. I seem to recall that there were two or three grey schemes throughout the Tornado's service life. Is it possible to id what schemes these would have been for the two aircraft mentioned within the timescale that they wore these markings?

The F3 only wore two standard colour schemes, the original Barley Grey over LAG, and later on the overall Med Sea Grey. The transition between the two occurred in the mid 2000’s, so both your examples will be in the early two grey scheme.

Upper surface: Barley Grey BS4800.18B.21 now referred to as Camouflage Grey BSC381C:626
Undersides: Light Grey BSC381C:627

Mid 2000’s onwards Med Sea Grey BS381C:637

• Thanks 2

You can generally tell what the camo is by the colour of the roundels, Barley grey camo in low viz roundels where the later MSG scheme had the standard dark coloured roundels. The exception to this was, like the GR4 fleet some F3’s had a mix of the two camo’s on one airframe, although I seem to recall this was not limited to the odd panel here and there like the GR4’s mostly were. I’m pretty sure at least one airframe had MSG fuselage and BG & LAG main wings 

• Thanks 1