1/72 Nieuport-Delage NiD 42S Frankenheller

2996 Victor

8 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow, looking good!  I use CA almost exclusively, but I haven't tried using it with talc added.  I think I ought to give that a try.

It was the first time I'd tried it, and it seemed to work really well. It did cure really quickly, so a slower type would be an advantage, and I added a bit too much talc to begin with so that it ended up very goopy. A second pass with a more slurry-like mix worked well though, and it sands nicely. Definitely worth a try!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I researched this briefly and was surprised to find that copper rivets are still used in some wooden boatbuilding. They are often seen on early 20th century boats, as well as cars and aircraft. Most of the ones I've seen have been flush though, so you are correct to be sanding those 'boilerplate rivets' away.

Thanks for confirming that, Bertie! Interesting use in boatbuilding - the method of construction is the "father" of early aircraft construction! Good to know those massive moulded rivets are good to go - I can't imagine they'd be good for aerodynamics on any aircraft, let alone a racer.....

Cheers,

Mark

9 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

boatbuilding - the method of construction is the "father" of early aircraft construction!

Somewhere in an aircraft museum I've seen the hull of a flying boat in dark wood and copper rivets. It looked beautiful but the details have passed from the memory. (Was it Hendon? Was it a Felixstowe?)

• Like 1

The fuselage halves are now nearly as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom lip, and have had a coat of my preferred "wood base" colour (Tamiya AS-29 IJN Gray-Green - its wot I use for my model railway wagon interiors :) )

http://IMG-20211001-130430474.jpg

"Why have you bothered?", I hear you cry. Two reasons: 1. I'm stalled awaiting the arrival of some Plastruct sections for the stringers and frames, and 2. "It seemed to be a good idea at the time" (A Bonus Smug Point if you can identify the movie/character/actor that I've quoted there :)).

I really want to get on with this and the MS.230 as time's getting short.....

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress has been occurring here, with the fuse innards being treated to a progressive wash on Citadel Seraphim Sepia to attempt a wood effect. Not sure it'll win any prizes. And the Plastruct sections have arrived and already been put to use on my Morane Saulnier MS.230 build.

I've finally made a start on the stringers on this little chap: starboard side is done  held in place with a touch of MEK at each end and in the middle, port side is yet to do:

http://IMG-20211015-175759228.jpg

A little bit of tidying up is required! I was going to use a tiny spot of CA each end to make sure the stringers stay attached, but both my CA bottles have welded themselves shut. Looks like a trip to the LMS is on the cards. What a shame! ;)

Thanks for looking in, comments and criticisms welcome as always!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

On 29/09/2021 at 10:34, Bertie Psmith said:

Somewhere in an aircraft museum I've seen the hull of a flying boat in dark wood and copper rivets. It looked beautiful but the details have passed from the memory. (Was it Hendon? Was it a Felixstowe?)

You are correct it is at Hendon, but I believe its a Supermarine Southampton,  from memory someone was living in it as a houseboat !

Great work Mark,  sorry for the build thread drift.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

You are correct it is at Hendon, but I believe its a Supermarine Southampton,  from memory someone was living in it as a houseboat !

Great work Mark,  sorry for the build thread drift.

Cheers Pat 

No apologies necessary, Pat, it's a fascinating aspect of aeroplane construction. The idea of using a flying boat as a houseboat is hilarious - I can imagine it being Cary Grant and Sophia Loren! :D

I've been making a bit of progress on this today, hopefully pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

The insanity continues:

http://IMG-3935.jpg

http://IMG-3937.jpg

:evil_laugh:

Frames added and tinted. They almost line up port to starboard :D but no-one will ever see them once the fuselage is closed up! Next thing is to make a hole for notre pilote intrépide, M. Joseph Sadi-Lecointe to stick his bonce through! There's not a snowball's chance in the 'ot place that this build'll be terminé à la date de clôture du Group Build. C'est la gare!

Salut, mes amis,

Mark

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

No progress here, I'm afraid, and now no chance of meeting the GB closing date.

In other news, as mentioned in my Morane Saulnier MS.230 thread, I'm having a bash at artwork for etching brass. The benefit for this build will hopefully be a means of creating the thin, corrugated radiators mounted on the upper surfaces of the wings (which I still have to build!). I've been scratching my head over how best to do these, and etched brass seems like it may offer the easiest solution. If I can create the artwork, of course. Whatever the outcome, I'll post the results in this thread.

Anyway, thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Mark

• Sad 2