Twin tail Beaufighter, Airfix kit, Alley Cats conversion

31 minutes ago, noelh said:

Didn't know there was a twin tail Beaufighter. Interesting.

It was a prototype. My deco is a little bit "wat if", normally, it was yellow underside and a big yellow  P.

Alain

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This looks excellent! Now I'm just left to wonder how a Beau would look with twin tails and merlins as well, or worse, a MK. V with twin tails... Maybe if I ever get a spare HPM MK. V I can find out! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tweener said:

This looks excellent! Now I'm just left to wonder how a Beau would look with twin tails and merlins as well, or worse, a MK. V with twin tails... Maybe if I ever get a spare HPM MK. V I can find out! 

Thank you very much

Alain

3 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Great looking conversion, seriously cool !

Wulfman

Thank you very much. relatively easy to convert, but, I have hear that Alley Cats would like to slow down or stop his production due to health problems.

Alain

1 hour ago, Doc72 said:

Very interesting variant! Looks like a Bristol Brigand (for a reason, of course).

Yes, quite different from an ordinary Beaufighter.

Alain

3 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Very interesting variant! Looks like a Bristol Brigand (for a reason, of course).

Yeah, first thought I had was, "When I grow up I want to be a Buckmaster!" [although actually Buckingham is probably more apt]

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Very interesting subject! I would like to ask you where did you buy this conversion set? 

Two years ago I ordered it and some other items directly from Alley Cat but nothing has ever arrived.

The owner was giving constant excuses for not posting my order and after 4-5 months of struggle 

PayPal returned me the money. 

I am still interested in Alley Cat items but I am looking for more reliable source so your information 

would be most welcomed.

Thanks.

Marko

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/10/2021 at 02:04, MarkoZG said:

Very interesting subject! I would like to ask you where did you buy this conversion set? 

Two years ago I ordered it and some other items directly from Alley Cat but nothing has ever arrived.

The owner was giving constant excuses for not posting my order and after 4-5 months of struggle 

PayPal returned me the money. 

I am still interested in Alley Cat items but I am looking for more reliable source so your information 

would be most welcomed.

Thanks.

Marko

Sorry for my late answer.

I had hear that Alley Cat stop is activity due to health problems.

Alain

Very interesting, I did not known about such variant too before. To make it "not what if" you need only  to add this yellow "P" in a circle - photo shows that it can be only behind the roundel, no chance for other option...

Fast googling  confirms position of "P" and reveal that later (roundel "C" replaced "A1")  she had additional aerodynamic elements before tail. I am not sure if it was not TSS not TLS colors... (low contrast). However it was conversion of MK IF (aerials seen over wings on first photo), so maybe TLS is more adequate as for fighter. Please note, that this photo  shows serial RR2268, not RR2258 as in description of photo given above by Chris  @dogsbody

Bristol_Beaufighter_Prototype_R2268_with

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JWM said:

Very interesting, I did not known about such variant too before. To make it "not what if" you need only  to add this yellow "P" in a circle - photo shows that it can be only behind the roundel, no chance for other option...

Fast googling  confirms position of "P" and reveal that later (roundel "C" replaced "A1")  she had additional aerodynamic elements before tail. I am not sure if it was not TSS not TLS colors... (low contrast). However it was conversion of MK IF (aerials seen over wings on first photo), so maybe TLS is more adequate as for fighter. Please note, that this photo  shows serial RR2268, not RR2258 as in description of photo given above by Chris  @dogsbody

Bristol_Beaufighter_Prototype_R2268_with

Yes I know, about the yellow P and normally the under of the plane will be also yellow.

Thant's why a say "What if"

Thank you for the picture.

Alain

3 hours ago, Remus389 said:

Very neat, I like it very much. 🙂👍

Thank you very much

Alain

Now for a real "What If" Beaufighter lets combine the prototypes with Griffon engines, four gun top turret and the twin tails.  Or a bit more -  lower the top line of the fuselage so that the turret can be lowered to give less drag?  Have the plans of the "slim-line" or "sports" Beaufighter project been published anywhere?

• Haha 1