Fore Hobby 1/72 Schnellboot S-38/1942 (released), new version S-38b

VMA131Marine

Just saw this at Lucky Model. I have not heard of Fore Hobby before today but this seems to be a high quality kit.

1369046-11185-23-720.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fore-hobby-1001-schnellboot-s-38--1369046

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=FOH-1001

• Like 5

On 16/09/2021 at 18:46, IT_Man said:

Wow, that looks good! Built the Revell S100 about 15 years back, but this looks another level.

Now for a M.A.S. !!!

How about a "Dog Boat", or Steam Gun Boat  -  both very charismatic with lots of variations and camo schemes.

• Like 2

• VMA131Marine changed the title to Fore Hobby 1/72 S-38/1942 (released), new version S-38b
  • VMA131Marine changed the title to Fore Hobby 1/72 Schnellboot S-38/1942 (released), new version S-38b
  • 4 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 8:46 PM, cvrle said:

Have these shown up in Europe yet? I've only seen them on e-bay from Chinese shops. And with the recent changes to customs regulations, buying from China is no longer cheaper...

I got one delivered today, I bought it from Modellbau Koenig in Germany. MN Modelar in the Czech Republic also has them in stock.

Yeah, picked it up from MN - Modelar for my dad. Browsed through the box, it's a nice package. with all the etch, it doesn't seem that obscenely expensive (only pricey :D )

• Haha 1

I have the Fore Hobby S-38 Schnellboot and have started the build. Those who have the kit will undoubtedly agree the level of detail is high with optional photo etch sheets and two brass gun barrels. Great stuff. That having been said, I do have some issues with the kit. My first revelation was the badly warped hull halves which I was able to overcome using lots of elastic bands and tape to hold everything in place. You will also find that the attachment points for the parts are larger than most kits and that combined with some really fine/delicate parts can cause problems removing them from the sprues. I broke one gun barrel (fortunately there is a brass replacement) and one railing so far. The kit instructions are also so-so and can have you wondering how best to approach some assemblies. Also lacking is a detailed paint guide which is limited to a colour profile and a partial (the bow) plan view. Actually, given the level of detail offered in the kit, greater appreciation of what Fore Hobby has produced could have been had were it in a larger scale, perhaps 1/48. Many of the parts would be more robust and some assemblies would also have been easier in a larger scale. Then again, maybe my 75 year old thumbs and fading eye sight may be a contributing factor.

• Like 1

Further to my last above. First let me say, I was wrong in my comment regarding painting instructions as the instructions do provide a paint guide with the build process in addition to the colour profile. I should also reiterate, the level of detail is outstanding but the degree of difficulty in the build is very high in many areas due to sprue attachment points, small/delicate parts which, while in scale, are consequently difficult remove from the sprues and to work with, unclear instructions and miniscule gluing attachment points. Had this model been in a larger scale, many of the issues encountered would not exist but at this point, I'm just short of relegating the project to that famous shelf of doom. For those who may question my ability, one of my more recent builds was the Trumpeter/Pontos 1/200 HMS Hood with which I had no issues. Again as mentioned, maybe it is me but I'd love to hear from others who are attempting the build.

• Like 1