Humbrol opinions?

Scott Hemsley

I'm just looking for a good WW2 RAF Interior Green (I'm not hung up on 100% matches to any 'official' colour chip, but it should be visually 'in the ballpark') to include in a small 'modelling-bag' to at least allow me to tinker with some cockpit sub-assemblies.  If Model Master was still an option, I wouldn't even be asking this - but I've got an Arma Hurricane IIb on the table that's screaming to be completed and it will be a while before I can mount a proper mail-order.  On the other hand, a small LHS near me has a modest selection of Humbrol, including these two ... #78 Cockpit Green or #226 Interior Green.  Which one would you recommend - assuming either of them is acceptable?

Scott

Scott, those two paints are adequate representatives for British Cockpits (Humbrol 78) and US aircraft interiors (Humbrol 226). Tamiya's XF-71 is also a good substitute paint for British Cockpits so that's another fall back option. I would not use Humbrol 226 for your Arma Hurricane. There's more to it than that, however as you're just after a ballpark option, this info should keep you on the straight and narrow for now. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

All good suggestions ... particularly having to lighten #78 enamel (I don't think this LHS stocks the acrylic, but I could be wrong).  I'll also see if #120 is available at the store.  Having a single source rather than having to lighten it with every use may be the way to go.  Like I said, all good suggestions ... now to see what's physically in stock at this place.

Scott

Just a comment on the above paint swatches from Chris before anyone gets exited - on my monitor none of these look anything like the examples I have. The Citadel paint looks olive drab, the AK looks like both my Xtracrylic and Xtracolour, RAF interior grey/green the Pollyscale looks like both enamel and acrylic Humbrol 78, the Humbrol 78 is more like Humbrol 120, and the Tamiya IJN like nothing I have, including my Tamiya IJN colour which is much closer to Sky!

Not moaning at Chris, but pointing out the misleading effects of lighting and monitors, coupled with variability in the actual paint.

Paul.

Those are what I have and also what I have read that other people have used on their kits. 

Up here, on The Backside of Beyond, all I can buy locally are Tamiya and Citadel paints. For others, I either have to go south 450 km. or order on-line.

Chris