Eduard Mirages

MarcV

34 minutes ago, MarcV said:

'evening all,

Does anyone know who's the plastic by on the Eduard Mirage IIIC's (EDU8103 & 8496)?

Don't much fancy it if it's HobbyBoss.

Thanks all,

Eduard's own, it may have been the inspiration for the Hobby Boss kit which isn't actually too bad

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MarcV said:

Thanks Wez,

Is the (Eduard) kit any good? 

Marc.

Dunno, never made it don't have one.

Apparently its a case of six and two threes between the Eduard and HobbyBoss kit, each scores over the other in certain areas so it comes out a score draw between them.

What's your beef with HobbyBoss?

9 hours ago, Wez said:

Dunno, never made it don't have one.

Apparently its a case of six and two threes between the Eduard and HobbyBoss kit, each scores over the other in certain areas so it comes out a score draw between them.

What's your beef with HobbyBoss?

Relax Wez, no beef.

it definitely is Eduard own, the HobbyBoss version though being very much inspired by it.... :( 

both are good, but already rather old kits. Still detail wise the very best Mirage C model out there in 48! Shape wise the old Heller kit is said to be better.... but a very very hard kit to build !

do not go for an Academy kit, it is crude and underscale...

both are good kits, the Eduard one maybe slightly ahead in finesse. Decals are way better in the Eduard boxings, as is the load out options,......

Eduard profi pack kits also come with PE, the Israeli Shahak kit also with a resin nozzle for the later CJ models!

have fun,

Werner

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

do not go for an Academy kit, it is crude and underscale...

Depends on what scale it is compared to - it may be bang on for 1/50, which the Fujimi it was cloned from nominally is 😉 Yes, I know Academy sells it as 1/48. And it probably is anywhere between 1/46 and 1/53 ... the F-5A with the same heritage is...

The Eduard kit builds nicely but being aware of its minor shortcomings will help such as nose gear length.   It gives a nice array of features & options for different versions.  The detailing is nice but be aware of the wing to fuselage fit  it can be a bit finicky so extra care there would pay dividends in your final build.  It also depends on what version you want to build of the Mirage BUT the Eduard kit is a good starting point  esp. if you get the Profipack with all the extras etched brass and canopy masks and some nice pilot figures too!!

Here is a  good review of the Profipack release:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/kits/eduardedk8103reviewdc_1.htm

HTH

Steve,

4 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Depends on what scale it is compared to - it may be bang on for 1/50, which the Fujimi it was cloned from nominally is 😉 Yes, I know Academy sells it as 1/48. And it probably is anywhere between 1/46 and 1/53 ... the F-5A with the same heritage is...

I have it, and it is tiny... ;)

2 hours ago, Corvi said:

It also depends on what version you want to build of the Mirage

no, it does not depend. The Eduard and Hobbyboss kits can ONLY be build as the Mirage C model. Essentially this means a different forward fuselage. (check intakes to main canopy relations if unsure!) Eyelid exhaust nozzle and adjectant fueslage is also unique for B/ C models!

I built the Eduard kit along with the Hobbyboss one and found that most parts could be mixed with impunity. The only times you couldn't was where Hobbyboss had simplified assembly by combining several Eduard parts to make a single part.  The Eduard kit is one where if, like me, you're not fairly well clued on the subject already than you can get early minor misalignment that snowballs into major issues later, so I had problems later on which were self-induced. In my case it was getting the outer intake parts to fit properly. If I built another it would be okay.

The Academy kit is a toy.

Paul.

• Like 2