A Pair of Kittens - Revell 1/144 F-14A's ## Second build finished ##

nimrod54

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

great choice, although you are borderline cheating!

For 1/144, these kits are rather big... a lot more than your usual fare anyway!

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday, in between working on a build for the High Wings GB, I decided to make a start on the black F-14A, so while waiting for filler to dry on the other build I got on with painting some of the cockpit details on this one, once that was dry I patched up the ejector pin mark in the nosewheel bay with some pieces of plastic strip then painted that area white. The decals were added to the I/P's and side consoles and the cockpit was closed up. 

51531546680_d50bb0964c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51531546855_2d7a40e432_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

After the wings and fuselage had been assembled the cockpit sub-assembly was glued in place and by the end of play for the day, this what I had. 

51530620401_dff0767c77_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Next job will be to thin the intakes down a little before I paint the interiors.

John.

• Like 6

Looking good so far. How big are they in this scale? I struggle sometimes with small parts in 1/72 never mind 1/144!

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, almac said:

Looking good so far. How big are they in this scale? I struggle sometimes with small parts in 1/72 never mind 1/144!

Cheers Allan 

Thanks for your comment Allan. The small squares on my cutting mat are 1/2 inch so as you can see the cockpit sub assembly is around 2 inches (approx 50mm) in length. I have just checked the overall length by lining up the edge of the tailplane on one of the lines and it measures about 5 inches excluding the nose probe. HTH to give you some idea of the size.

Cheers

John. 

• Like 1

A bit of assembly work and some more painting done on this one today. Having fixed the seats in place I glued the canopy on, and I painted the exhausts before adding the twin fins. Because I plan to add a few bells and whistles to the second of these, I am trying to build this one just as it comes, but I still could not resist removing the kit Alpha probe from the nose to replace it with a Master turned brass part.

51539352701_4e0a71f346_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51540069524_45d4cd5b93_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51539595528_54f2688680_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I know that it is not always easy to determine the size of these little kits and after @almac's question in his earlier post, I thought that I would post this photo in which I have included a 6" steel rule.

51540276820_36f3b508e7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

• nimrod54 changed the title to A Pair of Kittens - Revell 1/144 F-14A's

Revell have done a sterling job on these little kits. I've nearly finished the D model boxing, and it's amazing, despite my fumble fingered mistakes and the loss of a couple of bits (it's been a long term build). Decal sheet by DACO, with full stripes for the ordnance... I'm looking forward to doing the A model in grey and white. 

• Like 1

Vandy 1 has had the black paint applied using Halfords Matt Black with a couple of gloss coats brushed on top, and I've also made a start on some of the detail painting. Once I have painted the wing leading edges and canopy framing I should be ready to make a start on the decals.

51558021381_286992c14e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

51557226477_c8e45c6c05_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51558707984_a1e0ebe762_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 9

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

That looks great John, it appears to have gone together without any problems and certainly looks like a Tomcat.

Mike

Thanks Mike. As @Rob G mentioned in his previous post Revell made a decent job of this kit, it was a new tooling and this 'Black Tomcat' boxing was the first release, the joins tend to be around panel lines which means that little filling is needed. I have made the D version and that is just as good. I hope that they release them again at some point in the future with new decal options.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of decaling sessions I have almost completed the first of the pair. I have some decals to add to the missiles and two for the nose doors once I have painted the red edges on all of the undercarriage doors. The smaller details like lights etc need painting in, and then I can add the dangly bits to wrap it up. 

The more observant of you will have noticed that the replacement Alpha Probe is about 1mm shorter than it was in the previous photos, that's because during the last decal session today I managed to stick it in my finger for the umpteenth time and it finally gave up the ghost as I attempted to straighten it out... Note to self: Remember to leave probe off until the end. :doh:

51594897947_11d8b8b889_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51595934863_d77712cb13_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for checking in.

John

• Like 10

Hi John,

1/144 has never turned me on, but you have a knack to build really attractive models that make me wonder why I don't like this scale!!!

This one is no exception. I really like it!

Superb job!!!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

1/144 has never turned me on, but you have a knack to build really attractive models that make me wonder why I don't like this scale!!!

This one is no exception. I really like it!

Superb job!!!

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your kind comment. I have a few extras for the second of the pair along with set of decals for Adversary Schemes. I hope that it turns out as well as this one is doing.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a coat of satin varnish and fixing the weapons pylons in place, I can now call the first of the pair done. 

51651503051_38cfec6127_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51651503101_6b0441db98_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51650680177_3987dbdf7e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51652360450_494a571f52_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51652172229_dfd8666235_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

As stated previously, I have bigger plans for the second build with a few extra goodies that may take some time to sort out, time to crack on.

51651503016_c7781d82f5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

• nimrod54 changed the title to A Pair of Kittens - Revell 1/144 F-14A's ## One down, One to go. ##
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 20:14, Col. said:

Nice work on number one John :goodjob: Best of luck with number two :) 

Thanks Col. After returning from a short break yesterday I made a start on adding the Res-Im wing detail set to the second build today. The first job was to cut away the bags from the upper fuselage section in readiness for the resin replacements. 

51724534065_e3f32150ec_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

These are the replacement wings which come with separate leading edge slats and flaps, and having made the decision to portray the model with the wings in the extended position, I saw little advantage in retaining the ability to vary the sweep so the mechanism was removed before they were glued in position.

51722845547_d9a8ae80d4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

With the wings fixed into the lower fuselage section and the bags in the upper section, the two halves were then glued together to complete the easier of the planned changes, the slats and flaps will be added at the end of the painting stage.

51724533995_7e6eeb8d84_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Updates to the nose section are next and will start with resin replacements for the cockpit, instrument panel coamings and seats. 

John

• Like 6

Work continued this afternoon and I have finished adding the etch-brass to the cockpit and also cleaned up the seats before popping them in to check how they sit. They will get some etc brass for the ejection handles, then I can start to paint everything up.

51725209300_926e651e6a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 6

After opening up the steps and making up the etch boarding ladder, I made a start on painting the cockpit. The grey areas were painted in with Neutral Grey and the panels had a couple of coats of Citadel Corvus Black, once dry those areas were highlighted with a glaze of Mechanicus Standard Grey, another Citadel colour. Whilst that was drying, the seats were painted and fixed into the cockpit tub before the whole assembly was enclosed between the two nose sections.

51734842665_99820b6e74_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51734600089_b4bfb0c3e7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51733130117_07efc0889b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51733130332_b337a3c050_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The next job will be to unite the nose section with the rear fuselage and wings and tidy up that join.

• Like 5