Airco DH5

Since KP have just released a new DH5 kit in 1/72, I thought it was about time I finished my Merlin Models one from the 1980s! Really, despite its age and simplicity, its a good kit and very accurate, though I replaced the whitemetal wheels and prop with plastic spares (the engine and cowling were fine). The only other deficiency was the undercarriage wind-driven pump, which was just a shapeless bump on the moulding so I re-did it.

9b2415ef-f7b8-4790-b17f-fa51ab18fd18.jpg

c4421229-12d6-4b53-86ef-cd30cab0ebd9.jpg

0837ca15-5536-499d-a0ee-021db2616ea7.jpg

121a85b9-db66-49d8-a003-4baef91fd66e.jpg

Done and dusty, I can see a few interplane wires need taughtened - they are stretched silver sprue so a bit of a waft with a smoky match (thanks for that tip @John Aero) should sort that, plus some minor retouching on my early home-made decals to make perfect (to my should-have-gone-to-Specsavers eyesight at any rate!). 

• Like 19

This is beautifully done.  I love your rigging job, which on a 1/72 aircraft is all the more impressive.  And I think the color is perfect.  Thanks for posting.  And now for me to find a 1/48 kit of this....

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

This is beautifully done.  I love your rigging job, which on a 1/72 aircraft is all the more impressive.  And I think the color is perfect.  Thanks for posting.  And now for me to find a 1/48 kit of this....

Regarding the PC10, that's my own mix, formulated to match original Windsor & Newton traditional gouache colours of Yellow Ochre and Lamp (or Carbon) Black in the proportions specified by RFC, I then translated it to Humbrol enamels. I'm satisfied I got the mix pretty close, as sometimes on the model the paint looks brown, and sometimes green depending on the lighting.

The nice thing about doing a custom mix, is that the next time is bound to be very slightly different - just like the real thing!

• Like 1