`Winged Kiwi`, Grumman Avenger TBF-1C, 30 Squadron, RNZAF

russ c

3 hours ago, Etiennedup said:

Great build and VERY good and convincing finish  Russ.

Added to this your photography is the work of a real pro........ the whole subject in almost perfect focus.

Would love to hear some more on your shoot............ like . aperture,  depth of field, lens setting etc.

Just don't tell me it is a point and shoot job 😉

Cheers,

Etienne.

Thanks Etienne

I`m sorry to say that the auto setting on the camera is responsible for the photo`s. It`s a Samsung ES70, pretty much point and shoot. I took a lot of photo`s and deleted most of them, what you see are the best that came out.

Glad you like them though. Cheers Russ

Man, I would love to just watch over your shoulder Russ as you paint these models with brushes.   I think that would be so interesting and a true learning experience for many of us members here.  😀 Your work on these planes is so masterful and realistic!   So how about it Russ?   Are you up for recording a painting session for a tutorial for us?   I bet a lot of us would love to see a master at work! :thumbsup:  Honestly, brushing a model is pretty intimidating to me.   Help us step up our game Russ!  :like:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Man, I would love to just watch over your shoulder Russ as you paint these models with brushes.   I think that would be so interesting and a true learning experience for many of us members here.  😀 Your work on these planes is so masterful and realistic!   So how about it Russ?   Are you up for recording a painting session for a tutorial for us?   I bet a lot of us would love to see a master at work! :thumbsup:  Honestly, brushing a model is pretty intimidating to me.   Help us step up our game Russ!  :like:

Cheers Gary, I`m flattered that you`re so enthusiastic about my models but there`s nothing amazing going on here. Most of it is just dry/damp brushing and trial and error. If it doesn`t work out I just swab it off with white spirit or rub it off with a pencil eraser and try again.

Sorry but I`ve neither the time or inclination to do such a thing. If anyone needs help or wants to know about how I did a specific thing then I`ll gladly help them. Also, as I use Enamels most of the time is waiting for it to dry and I`m sure no one wants to watch a video of paint drying🙂 

Thanks again,

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Russ. Have you exhausted your Vietnam projects now?

Thanks Martin, actually I`ve a Monogram Deuce just started and am impatiently waiting for ICM`s Bronco and Counter Invader.  Also waiting for their Beaufort too🙂

I`ve also a Beechcraft something or other I intend to do as a QU-22 drone and a B-57. Always something to do but too many doors, door frames and skirting boards to do too.🙁 

16 hours ago, russ c said:

Cheers Gary, I`m flattered that you`re so enthusiastic about my models but there`s nothing amazing going on here. Most of it is just dry/damp brushing and trial and error. If it doesn`t work out I just swab it off with white spirit or rub it off with a pencil eraser and try again.

Sorry but I`ve neither the time or inclination to do such a thing. If anyone needs help or wants to know about how I did a specific thing then I`ll gladly help them. Also, as I use Enamels most of the time is waiting for it to dry and I`m sure no one wants to watch a video of paint drying🙂 

Thanks again,

Cheers Russ

Russ, my enthusiasm is inspired by the simple fact that many of us struggle with our airbrushes, even with frequent use.   We futz with this setting or that, and juggle paint:thinner ratios like a mad chemist, and then we're presented with work like yours (and others too!), all done with a brush.   I was a professional painter for many years and I can lay down enamel paint with a good bristle brush so that it looks sprayed on, or dipped in enamel.  But, when I try to brush on a model (and yes, always enamel too), it sure doesn't look like that Avenger.  Your term "dry/damp brushing" has me intrigued.    Perhaps you could expound on that technique sometimes?

The video suggestion was really more tongue in cheek I guess, than a real suggestion.   Like yourself, I would never have the inclination to do one either, even with the surplus of "free time" that I fortunately have.    But, that said, you do make it look easy when I just know it can't be. 😉

I note that the Monogram F-102 is upcoming for you; I am building one as well at the moment.   I sure am looking forward to seeing your Deuce, will it be wearing SEA camo?  

6 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Russ, my enthusiasm is inspired by the simple fact that many of us struggle with our airbrushes, even with frequent use.   We futz with this setting or that, and juggle paint:thinner ratios like a mad chemist, and then we're presented with work like yours (and others too!), all done with a brush.   I was a professional painter for many years and I can lay down enamel paint with a good bristle brush so that it looks sprayed on, or dipped in enamel.  But, when I try to brush on a model (and yes, always enamel too), it sure doesn't look like that Avenger.  Your term "dry/damp brushing" has me intrigued.    Perhaps you could expound on that technique sometimes?

The video suggestion was really more tongue in cheek I guess, than a real suggestion.   Like yourself, I would never have the inclination to do one either, even with the surplus of "free time" that I fortunately have.    But, that said, you do make it look easy when I just know it can't be. 😉

I note that the Monogram F-102 is upcoming for you; I am building one as well at the moment.   I sure am looking forward to seeing your Deuce, will it be wearing SEA camo?  

Hi Gary.

If it`s any consolation, I struggle with an air brush🙂. In a nutshell: thinning is a matter of trial and error, I aim for consistency of single cream but some colours work better a little thicker ie white, yellow, light greys and blues. If it`s a big colour step from plastic to paint or silver I use an undercoat of satin mid/light grey ( no particular shade ).

So after painting the model in the base colours or camouflage I draw the panel lines in with a mechanical pencil ( the ones where the lead comes out when you push the button at the top ). Then gloss varnish, then decals, then a matt coat ,then draw the panel lines in over the decals .

Next I dry brush over the panel lines with an olive drab or dark grey using a small stiff cut off brush to knock them back a bit. If it looks too stark I rub it about with my thumb to blend it in. I that doesn`t work I use a pencil eraser, rub it off and try again. I apply it heavier around control surfaces, access panels, wing roots trying to work lighter as I move away from the centre.

Next I damp brush ( like dry brush but with more paint left in the brush ) leading edges, panel centres and areas prone to scuffing in a lighter shade of the base colour, rubbing it about with thumb if it`s too stark.

When this is dried I add exhaust stains, then aluminium chips both using a stippling action with a cut off short stiffish brush. Then knock the chipping back with a bit of dry brushed olive drab. Then a matt coat ( or Gloss or Satin depending on final finish ) or two to bring it all together.    

Feathered edges I do by stippling with a short stiff brush and thumb using the darker of the two colours. With the Avenger I couldn`t do this as the Xtracolour paint was gloss and dried a lot quicker than matt enamels, so I stippled it and then went over it with a soft brush soaked in white spirit. Nerve wracking but I think it worked! Took a couple of attempts and I let the base paint dry for over a week before trying it. I usually use Humbrol Enamels except for the matt and gloss coats. For the matt I use Windsor and Newton Acrylic matt varnish and for gloss I normally use Future/Klear or Humbrol  Acrylic gloss coat.

Hope I haven`t bored you to death, but you did ask🙂

Hope this helps, Cheers Russ 

• Thanks 3

No sir, you sure did not bore me.  Thank you sincerely for taking time to explain your process in more detail!  That really does help me understand how the painting is accomplished through the various steps.  It does seem like an interesting technique and one I'm tempted to try on a future build.   I will say that you've mastered this style of finishing, but obviously it's a whole different "lot of work" than airbrushing. Thanks again Russ for your time and for the help! 🍻

• Like 1

There's corkers and then there's corkers, and that's definitely the latter.:worthy:. Even down to the authentic rolling Kiwi mountains in the background. But wait, is that a short man with big feet carrying a ring I see in the distance???

Pete

• Thanks 1