`Winged Kiwi`, Grumman Avenger TBF-1C, 30 Squadron, RNZAF

russ c

7 minutes ago, russ c said:

Howdy All,

Thought you wouldn`t mind me showing some photo`s of my latest effort, hot off the kitchen table

Cheers Russ

I can only say, that your time in the kitchen was well spend and your 'cooking' is outstanding! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

As we've come to expect from your builds, @russ c, yet another great looking model and the feathered edge to the camo looks just right as does the restrained weathering.

Got a couple of HB kits in the stash, but I'm about to commence the Accurate Miniatures version, a gift from my daughter a couple of Fathers Days ago. Supposedly the duck's guts as regards accuracy, it'll be interesting to compare with the HB kit.

If it comes out half as good as yours, I'll be pretty pleased.

Thanks for sharing your models with us.

Rog

• Thanks 1

Wow! That's one beautiful Turkey! If that is brush-painted, I'm throwing away my Paasche airbrush! Nailed the colors, and I bet Alan @LDSModeller will like this one! Pretty rare to see an Avenger/Tarpon with any kind of nose art- gotta love those Kiwis!

Mike

BTW, I am really impressed with the weathering you did- very restrained, but very realistic. I think I have been corrupted, as my favorite TBF scheme has always been Battle of Midway, but now I'm thinking Kiwi colors is the way to go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roginoz said:

As we've come to expect from your builds, @russ c, yet another great looking model and the feathered edge to the camo looks just right as does the restrained weathering.

Got a couple of HB kits in the stash, but I'm about to commence the Accurate Miniatures version, a gift from my daughter a couple of Fathers Days ago. Supposedly the duck's guts as regards accuracy, it'll be interesting to compare with the HB kit.

If it comes out half as good as yours, I'll be pretty pleased.

Thanks for sharing your models with us.

Rog

Thanks Rog, having built both over the years I think the AM kit is a bit easier apart from the turret, esp as you haven`t got the wing folds to worry about. They`re about the same otherwise.

Oh and I added a gunsight from the spares box I forgot to mention in my original post.

Look forward to seeing yours when it`s done

Cheers Russ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! That's one beautiful Turkey! If that is brush-painted, I'm throwing away my Paasche airbrush! Nailed the colors, and I bet Alan @LDSModeller will like this one! Pretty rare to see an Avenger/Tarpon with any kind of nose art- gotta love those Kiwis!

Mike

BTW, I am really impressed with the weathering you did- very restrained, but very realistic. I think I have been corrupted, as my favorite TBF scheme has always been Battle of Midway, but now I'm thinking Kiwi colors is the way to go!

Sorry to have corrupted you Mike 🙂, yeah I never did get the hang of the airbrush, too much time ( for me ) cleaning it and masking too.

Maybe one day..........................

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Very nice, I've always liked the Avenger, I just wish I had the 300k to buy one of the ones that was for sale over here in AUS a few years ago. Would be great to just sit her in the driveway!

Yeah that would be cool 😎, glad you like it

Cheers Russ

What a load of BS!  You brush painted the Avenger with a hair stick?  Yeah, right.  No brush marks?  Perfect canopy framing?  Why do you lie?  Just tell us you got that amazing finish with an Iwata airbrush and call it a day.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Great build and VERY good and convincing finish  Russ.

Added to this your photography is the work of a real pro........ the whole subject in almost perfect focus.

Would love to hear some more on your shoot............ like . aperture,  depth of field, lens setting etc.

Just don't tell me it is a point and shoot job 😉

Cheers,

Etienne.

• Thanks 1