F-14D VF-31 "Last Cruise" - Tamiya 1/48 FINISHED!

Ale85

Hi there guys!

It's time for my third Tamiya's Cat! This time it will be a "D" with the iconic VF-31 markings. Two years ago i've finished the A model with this scheme (it's one of my fav Squadrons!), so now is the time to put alongside it the latest "brother", the D version.

This is my A

tomcat-A.jpg

And this what i'm planning to build:

F-14D.jpg

Photo credit: jetphotos.com

I will use the notorious Tamiya's kit (i have ordered it, i'm waiting for the mail call :D ). It will be built strictly OOB except for the decals, coming from a beautiful Fightertown set. 

decals-figh-1.jpg

I think i will paint the red zones. That's all for now, hope to start soon this exciting Group Build.

ciao

Ale 

Edited by Ale85
  • Like 14

Mail call for me today! I've received the kit. So tomorrow the fun can begin

box.jpg

As I already said, it will a completely OOB build. But i tihnik some "friends" may be helpful in the process: Fine Molds belts and Fightertown's data and weapon decals.

decals.jpg

Edited by Ale85
  • Like 7

So let's start!

I start with some color, painting the fins with dark ghost grey (MRP paint) and then painting the red zones (X-7 Tamiya red). I have to fix some minor issues but i think could be ok. 

IMG-6665.jpg

For the loadout i choose the FLIR pod, 1x Sidewinder, 1x GBU-31 and 1x GBU-12

IMG-6663.jpg

Dry fit assembly for testing the parts and check dimensions. No surprises, it fits like a glove!

IMG-6664.jpg

that's all for now, hope you like it. 

• Like 11

I did mine a few years back with the same load out. Interestingly just 2 stores was quite a common load out, either a pair of JDAMs or LGB's or even a pair for those small GBU-39's. Not too sure why, probably mission parameters.

I have a couple of photos of VF-31 birds with TER's fitted to the front stores pylons, none with stores loaded unfortunately.

Some updates: this kit is stunning, and the build goes quickly. So, i completed the rear part of the fuselage. Minimum amount of putty needed, the parts fit each others like a gloves. Next step: cockpit and the front part of the fuselage.

foto-1.jpg

foto-2.jpg

ciao

Ale

• Like 9

7 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

It really does just fall together doesn't it? I am so impressed how the pieces can go together and you cannot even see the join, it just disappears. 

Yeah, absolutely impressive kit! And i read online that the Phantom is much better...

• Like 2

A very very small update. Start working on landing gears: coat of XF-85 rubber black as base, then i used the Tamiya's laquer paint LP-2 for the gloss white. First time using this kind of paint and i'm happy of it! For the natural metal part i used the chrome by Molotow.

carrelli.jpg

ciao

Ale

• Like 8

Let's go with the cockpit: oob with some decals from the Fightertown data sheet for the instruments. Also from the Fightertown's sheet came the green zone on the windshield

cockpit.jpg

parabrezza.jpg

That's all for now, hope you like it.

• Like 9

Almost ready for the painting room! I was quite unhappy about the painted red zones on the fins so... i removed all and bought another decal sheet. I will use the decals for those red zones. And i have some spare decals in case something goes wrong

montato.jpg

ciao

Ale

Edited by Ale85
  • Like 9

On 10/5/2021 at 12:54 PM, Ale85 said:

Also from the Fightertown's sheet came the green zone on the windshield

I tried the same decal on my 'cat but it looked nothing like yours; it was much greener and almost opaque, so it was removed and I went back to a light coat of clear green instead.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Let's paint! I used the MRP paint: they are mega but very very thin and several coats are needed to cover the preshading. (And i think there will be further coats in the future...)

Next step: painting the gloss black radome and canopy.

verniciato-1.jpg

verniciato-2.jpg

I also painted the weapons 

armi-tomca.jpg

• Like 11

Hi guys i finished the painting phase on my cat. The black zones are made with Tamiya's X-1. After all, i give a coat of gloss clear (X-22 Tamiya) and now i'm rady to put the decals

IMG-7221.jpg

IMG-7218.jpg

IMG-7219.jpg

IMG-7220.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

New update. Painting and decaling stages are done, so i think we are ready for the final assembly and the gallery

IMG-7431.jpg

IMG-7432.jpg

IMG-7433.jpg

That's all for now, hope to see you soon in the gallery!

• Like 9

• Ale85 changed the title to F-14D VF-31 "Last Cruise" - Tamiya 1/48 Ready for the final assembly

well done she's looking awesome!!!:thumbsup:

Yes that MRP paint s super thin, but the really nice part is can build layer upon layer to get the effect/finish you want and still not loose any detail. On my last F-14D build I had close to or maybe over 25 layers of paint on areas of the upper surface and the detail is was still nice and crisp.

Go Felix!! :D

• Like 1