Revell Uboat VIIC “Wolf Pack” (05015) 1:72

Goji308

I have completed the flak30 machine gun on the wintergarten. I have added a small magnet so the assembly is removable while I continue to work in the conning tower.  

51628911407_6d6425a4c7_b.jpg

The completed 8.8 gun was a little tricky to mask as I airbrushed the base colors on it then eventually touched it up with a paintbrush.  

51630388019_f81f67ec54_b.jpg

51631305672_9915d5de1c_b.jpg

Here is the picture I used as inspiration for my deck gun. In hind sight I could have used a darker grey for more contrast   

51633029725_98a9a7b242_m.jpg

Out of the many pictures of the deck gun I found this one unique with two merchant vessels painted on the side of the 8.8cm deck gun.  

51628911262_dabe86b0e3_z.jpg

I am not a huge fan of how the horseshoe life flotation device looks on the side of the conning tower.  I know they are only on display while their at port.   I wanted to add the mounts to the conning tower.  Instead of trying to make the hook and pots with paper and CA, I decided to modify the stock flotation device and make my parts out of it.  I used a .030 drill to make the pot look like a cup. 

Below in the picture you can see the hardware I am trying to make and represent   Left of the vents. (The hook & pots)

51631302267_f740c2c5b8_b.jpg

Chop chop  

51628909422_21ee8a1215_b.jpg

I added the hook and pots to both sides   

51632353558_0987197991_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
Added photo
  • Like 8

The wood deck is pretty flat so I attempted to add some wood rails around the main deck adding detail and texture.  I imagine in most sea conditions at night firing that weapon could be pretty squirley.  I believe that’s why they had raised rails to position your feet against for stability.  
I used .015” styrene sheet and a caliper to size a series of strips. I airbrushed the strips flat black and touched them up after I glued them in place.  I scaled the pattern from the existing pattern of the the stock plastic supplied deck. 

51638808334_a0869bb8e4_b.jpg

51637307452_37dc361263_b.jpg

I installed the wintergarten permanently to the aft deck of the conning tower. 

Wintergarten

Edited by Goji308
Added a photo / wintergarten detail
  • Like 11

Well it looks like this Uboat is just about complete.  I finished most of the details.

The wooden deck is now in place permanently.

Deck rails have been installed.

51645312910_f096cf79bf_b.jpg

I did use the stock rails but in the future I will try to make my own using a smaller diameter rod. 
 I am in the process of painting the isolators for the cables. 

51644679383_5df36ec0ed_b.jpg

The one decal (two tone shield ) for the U-82 insignia is now on the tower. After a light coat of matte varnish I will weather it tying into the existing weathering.
I added a light wash to the main 8.8cm deck gun for a little detail and contrast.  It was looking a little dry and light.

A little more to come.  

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 4

Well I was on a roll the other evening and I pretty much finished the U-boat.  
I added the decal and weathered it just a tad.  I added the cables, aerials, and aerial insulators.  With a brush and a little paint I  touched up a random rogue spot or two.  I was going to add additional weathering to blend the deck with the hull but then decided not too.  I think the weathering is close enough to the heavy weathering I had in mind for this build.  Once you go to far I hear it’s tough to go back.  

Thank you for tagging along my adventure and commenting on the way.  I learned a lot with this build (2nd) as I did with my last one, my first.  
There were several first time moments during this build that I was able to learn and grasp on the fly.  A few new tools, oil paints, techniques with oils, masking a camouflage pattern, building a Photo Etch/ resin gun, and adding a real wooden deck to this model. 
Thanks again for the company.  I will add more pictures in the “ ready for inspection”   Area. Link below.

KIRKSEY VIIC-10645_DSK1064

Ready for inspection link: (more photos)

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Gidday Goji.            That           Is            Beautiful.          👍

And beautifully presented. I think the dark background enhances the model greatly. It makes the mounting poles much less evident and to me it appears that the U-boat is running very deep. Very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hei, Goji, I need a help´, please!

I read that the deck of new submarines was painted with black or dark gray protective varnish. During missions, the deck was wearing and getting more clear, and brown, when the wood appea. Is what you made in your model? I want painting my sub like your, (if I can - I dont trust in my hands and eyes when is the painting phase)!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, adolfocaetanonetto said:

Hei, Goji, I need a help´, please!

I read that the deck of new submarines was painted with black or dark gray protective varnish. During missions, the deck was wearing and getting more clear, and brown, when the wood appea. Is what you made in your model? I want painting my sub like your, (if I can - I dont trust in my hands and eyes when is the painting phase)!

Sorry for the late reply and I hope this helps. I just saw your post.  
First I applied a sealer to the wood with a disposable brush and let it dry for a day.  I airbrushed the deck a dull primer black.  I basically masked off little features like hatches, etc and light sanded partially through the black primer.  I tried to imagine where foot traffic might be and sanded there.  I then added grime around the gun, a touch of salt here and there, and a little rust around the tower feature, railings, etc.    Basically trying to tie it all together hoping the effort would add to my story.  

Edited by Goji308