Revell Uboat VIIC “Wolf Pack” (05015) 1:72

Goji308

Thank you David & Mick for the compliments and encouragement.

Just a small update:

I added the beginnings of my weathering on the Uboat. I hope I did not overdue it. I believe I can dial it down if need be as I go.  I kind of over applied the chipping process during that phase and dialed it back down as I moved ahead. 

51549909336_3b02933137_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 8

Gidday, I don't think the weathering is overdone, I think it looks very good. During wartime I'd imagine these boats would have been worked hard, and their appearance would show this. It's well done, IMHO. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Steve, thank you for the link. 

I added some darker tones to the lower hull for depth and shadow. 

51574815934_83c08311de_b.jpg

I ordered a wood deck from nautilus And it’s nicer than I expected. These decks are first rate & beautiful. 
Nautilus wood deck:

51574127676_5790eb2d16_b.jpg

I’m still deciding which deck to use. I know the plastic stock deck since has molded details that sit above the deck line.  If I use the wood deck these are details I would want to add so  I’ll have to either purchase these details (PE?) or make them.  Example: hatch hinges, plates, etc.  In the meantime, I will continue to advance both deck choices simultaneously and decide later which to include in the build.  

Revell stock deck:

51573320297_f9bc6df9f5_b.jpg

I primed and painted the conning tower details. I added a wash and dry brushed them.  I still have to repair the one far right.   Some of the hand rails and handles are quite fragile. 

51574811629_310c876045_b.jpg

That’s it for now…

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 4

I’m curious what the deck of the wintergarten on a VIIC was made of?  It has an interesting pattern.  It looks like a much finer pattern than the lower deck. 
I want to assume it’s wood but not sure.  I would imagine it would not be slippery and most likely coated. 
Thanks in advance. 

51578736152_1f15333e82_b.jpg

Worked a little on the inner conning tower wood parts.

I started  with a red brown base and played with inks.  I eventually go frustrated and painted some lighter yellow browns over previous work    And then tried my oils   Then I learned a great lesson that oils need a lot longer to dry than acrylics. I masked over my oils and watched my weathering stick to my painters tape. I eventually touched the wood planks and set them aside   In the future I will save my oils and weathering to be done last.  

51578688217_aab1132b5b_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 3

Minor steps.  
Painted and chipped deck. Will weather at a later time. 
Fittting conning tower details to deck platform.

51589782319_82d9b4ec3a_b.jpg

adding black on conning tower forward bulge. 

51589340108_9ea4427a99_b.jpg

51589782309_9a6925a49f_b.jpg

painted periscopes with black & greys. 

51586111469_947557e6a0_b.jpg For whatever reason the conning tower 3D printed resin splash guard is sitting a little proud /high will address this detail shortly. 

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 6

Today I glued the details and the top splash guard in place to the upper conning tower.

I also tried to wrap brass wire around the 8.8cm deck gun.  The wire had some spring to it and it was not really working like I’d hoped.  A few passes through a candle flame might have annealed it because it became pretty malleable afterwards. I glued the ends in place and added a light coat of primer.  

51590619786_081bea0bb7_b.jpg

51589788952_7fe030fa7a_b.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, VinBizz4786_ said:

Super job mate ! So, to be sure, you have use XF-20 as base color and XF-63 as base color for the camo right ?

Thanks for taking a look at my progress and my method of madness.  :)   I appreciate the compliments.  
I use lots of tamiya grays for various things but on this kit I mostly used 63, 66, 19, & 53.  

51597081889_1da9f95bd0_b.jpg

I also make my own primer and it’s different shades of gray depending on what part I’m painting.  I use Stynyrez white and black.  

I also make my own washes with the Tamiya greys usually mixed with black XF-1.

The gray I use as a base  at the beginning usually look a lot different at the end than when I applied them. 

The hull color I started with, I’d be surprised if it looks anywhere near it did now compared to the day I airbrushed it on.  Quite a few different layers on top now.  

On 10/15/2021 at 1:12 AM, beefy66 said:

Very nice details on the forward gun 👍

beefy 

Thanks Beefy.  Looking back and comparing it with my last build I now feel it was worth the effort.  

On 10/14/2021 at 2:40 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Stunning.

ALDU, thanks a bunch for the kind compliments.  

Currently I’m adding several coats to the conning tower and am chipping it.  I will post pictures tonight.  

51597081669_244c2099b1_b.jpg

• Like 1

I had an hour of free time tonight so I masked one side of the conning tower.   I also payed attention to the camo pattern on the lower hull hoping to make the color bands continuous through the hull & conning tower.  
I added the camo pattern to both sides of the conning tower.  The leading band of camo in the right meets the leading band of camo on the left perfectly in front of the boat.   I will touch up later if needed and deal with any extra chipping the masking tape pulled off.  
For me I always check my masking tape in case it pulls off a resin part. Especially me I tend to grip the part while I’m shooting with the AB and accidents frequently happen.   I found a few parts in my masking tape, embarrassed to admit. I carefully replied them with tweezers.  
binoculars, handle on hatch, and compass support arm.  

My very precise (rats nest ) masking job. 

51597528300_cb239f7458_b.jpg

51597528190_70c040f37d_b.jpg

51597297349_90ac38e617_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 3

The conning tower looked super clean so I decided to start the weather process a tad early.  It will need additional weathering. 

51600825761_2966f7263d_b.jpg

More progress on my stock plastic deck this afternoon. I applied several coats of heavy chipping and worn effects the finished it off with a AK acrylic dark grey.  (See above).

I also painted the wood deck. I let it dry in the sun for a while before the weather changed.  I distressed it with sandpaper. What seem to work best was cutting the paper into different sizes to accommodate some of the flat end  tools I have for better control.  Still needs some fine tuning   

51601040153_7d121b73bb_b.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, can't be having a nice clean conning tower, Donitz will think the boat's been idle. The weathering you've done looks very good. Regards, Jeff.

:) Love the comment.   Thank you Jeff.  

On 10/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, VinBizz4786_ said:

Excellent job my friend! Congrat!

Thank you V for the encouragement.  

On 10/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I don't know if it's an accurate replica of a weathered U-boat and I don't much care. I just think it looks really good!

Your comments made me smile when I read them.  Thank you for the kind words.

Building two decks simultaneously proved harder to for me to make a decision on which to go with.  The worn wood deck definitely catches my eye more than the plastic deck. I do miss some of the raised features above the deck line the plastic deck has. Today I have been working on some of those details for the wood deck.  Pictures soon. 

I also spent the evening cleaning, debuting, and sanding the Uboat rails.  I dipped the stern aerial supports in hot water and added the bend in the legs successfully this time without incident.  

51612083787_8377ac1a44_b.jpg

Am about 75% complete on the propellers.  Still some minor touch up and details. 

51612910786_cb183625b1_b.jpg

Since I did not use the periscope housings and internals which act also to keep both halves of the deck together. On my break at work I made some plastic threaded Nuts to clamp it together .

51613564559_4b044f74ea_b.jpg

My birthday is coming up in early November and I saw this Revell kit (05045) for sale.    I could not it pass up. 

51600825291_992ac62973_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 9

Sometimes you look at models and think - it would be better if the modeler did not put traces of exploitation and rust on them.
Your submarines are great! Excellent mastery of the use of paints!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 6:56 AM, Dmitriy1967 said:

Sometimes you look at models and think - it would be better if the modeler did not put traces of exploitation and rust on them.
Your submarines are great! Excellent mastery of the use of paints!

Dmitriy- thank you.  That was really a nice compliment. I appreciate your comment on my workmanship.  

14 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Couldn't have put it better myself. Those props are something else too.

David

Thank you David for taking the time to write this comment/ compliment.  

If anyone ever builds this kit and you get to this step in the instructions.  Remember to give yourself a little extra material if you want the ends of your rail to fit inside the handrail pocket. If you cut from their template it will leave your rail a tad short.  

51615812872_10b1f4e81a_b.jpg

I cut the rail long and used a small file to bring it to the desired fit.  

51615812842_cd3af36673_b.jpg

Assembly line of rails being primed.   

51619429946_cc932268d7_b.jpg

From here the rails will have different destinations and color depending on where they end up on the U-boat . 

Edited by Goji308
Added photo.
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, steve5 said:

superb work , as usual goji .

Thanks for checking out my progress Steve!!  

I painted all the rails their appropriate color and did some very light chipping via a fine sponge.  I did some minor weathering on all of them.  
Below is a picture of the wintergarten some where in the middle of my process where I was working on the wood. 

51624054271_2b3f3243dd_b.jpg

A side by side comparison of the stock c30 flak gun and a 3-D printed one I purchased. 
The printed one has a larger lower base.  So large in fact while sitting on the deck to me it looks huge. I compared the actual guns and they are real close in size.  So looking at this picture now it hard to to be excited about the detail of the printed version.  

51624796419_7069213f9e_b.jpg

Yesterday and today I had a few bloopers. 
I noticed white primer droplets on my hull section.  OMG!!!!!   I recreated the problem a few minutes later when I closed the lid to my primer and it splatted on my U-Boat stand.  I actually saw it happen.  I lightly agitated the dried droplets with a scalpel and eventually touched up the spots via airbrush. 
Tonight as I was in a groove doing some weathering on the conning tower and I accidentally added rubbing alcohol to my weathering tray instead of white spirits.  I burned a spot as the paint started to break down.  I am glad I caught my mistake early enough to reshoot the area and blend it back in with the rest of the tower.  
another crises averted.  

it’s time to attach the wood deck and I noticed there is a little room between the hull and the deck in spots.   I’m currently looking into which glue to bod the wooden deck to the plastic hull.   
  Also looking for suitable clamps that won’t leave marks on the hull.  

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 2