Revell Uboat VIIC “Wolf Pack” (05015) 1:72

Goji308

I started another one of my Uboat kits that I bought from a local store that acquired it from an estate acquisition.  I believe this kit was available around 2003.  

51476998628_d4e0e3f909_b.jpg

51476999118_9b0f1468b8_b.jpg

51477437138_99324e641c_b.jpg

After opening it up I noticed all the sprue came in one bag. 

51475984242_a7f763b970_b.jpg

51476999033_992049c00b_b.jpg

51477679390_a12d47d65b_b.jpg

51477548729_6fe0081b7d_b.jpg

51477679370_892027858d_b.jpg

One of the sprue were heavy on the flash.

A few of the same parts on the sprue had some pretty visible pits/ voids. The styrene feels a little brittle. Some of the fine edges are chipped. It’s anyone’s guess if a previous owner moved the box or handled the contents over the last 30 years before I happened to purchase this kit on a hobby store shelf.  
Multiple holes in the propeller. 

51476998893_cfbe50e091_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
Added photo
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Alan P said:

Not the best quality moulding 🤨 but based on your last build, this is just a small bump in the road to success 👍

Alan, ha :)  thank you. You are too kind and I hope your right.   This model is coming along a little faster than the last. Funny how that works. 
I sanded everything I used filler on, and added another round of filler.  That should do it.  I started removing the material in the slots that run along the hull body.  You can see in this picture where I removed the material entirely (left side) and where I thinned the slots just before breaking through the plastic.  Light or sunlight help for accuracy when plotting your plastic removal course. 

51477678945_58c5074603_b.jpg

My last Uboat (IXC) I had planned/ debated on putting a few bands of medium grey for camouflage on the upper hull but did not execute that step.
For this VIIC build I will add the camouflage bands to the upper hull for sure. I am not entirely sure how many stripes i will put down as of yet. (To be determined)  I am leaning towards the U-82 or the U-253.  

51476762096_f1168b7d1d_b.jpg

Here I have started the light oil canning to the hull by scratching it carefully with a scalpel and then coming back through with various sanding.  

51476761961_d17efb3880_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
Misspelled a word
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Alan P said:

Not the best quality moulding

This made me chuckle, it's more flash than mould!😂

Signing up for another master class.:popcorn:

Oh and being International Democracy Day, I'll take the liberty of voting for U-82 please (I wouldn't myself mind, even without brittle plastic, but it looks more visually interesting).

David

Edited by Adm Lord De Univers
  • Thanks 1

The rest of the Uboat has been scraped, oil canned, and I added texture to the steel plates. 
I reduced the rivets height by a light sand.  I found a few more parts that needed filling & sanding.  

51477679320_4c4fa62162_b.jpg

The propeller shafts are completely out of round.  I sanded them quite aggressively with a file and sanded them smooth so they fit where they are intended to go.   I might replace the shafts.  
The two hull pieces are glued together.

51475984457_03485c40ed_b.jpg

A few spots had to be glued again separately.   I had to add glue and clamps to the far edges of the uboat as they were lightly warped.  There was too much pressure to do it all in one shot. 

I have airbrushed the interior of the hull with black primer.  

51485062875_acd182e14a_b.jpg

The rear vertical rudder holes & Base mounting  holes have been located and drilled. 

I have been reading another uboat book called The odyssey of a Uboat commander by Erich Topp. Fascinating read so far.
The author does mention the uboat deck coating by code name, “Alberich”. The coating is approximately 4mm thick, applied to the deck and helps in reflecting radar & sonar pulses.  

• Like 3

U 1105, the Black Panther, contains a fair amount of detail on Alberich, the snorkel and GHG Balkon, a passive sonar array. 1105 was the only sub to have these 3 innovative ideas fitted. 

Alberich was a rubber coating applied over the entire sub, not just the deck. It had holes of various sizes, size and pattern, being determined by location. It was also tuned to a specific depth where it would be most effective. 

Fascinating read. 

Nigel 

• Thanks 1

Nigel,

Thank you for the additional information.  Yes, that book is still on my list to get.  I look forward to reading it.  I look forward to learning more about the specifics.  
I have several books on my night stand I have to read first. :) 

Edited by Goji308

I assembled some of the rudders and their supports. Anything in this kit that is supposed to be round or close to round is not.   I spent over an hour last night with a caliper trying to pre-fit all the periscopes etc.   .010 to .020 difference in thickness on some of parts.  That took a while.  

This weekend more sanding. 

51491717435_bceb7c36ae_b.jpg

I sprayed the model with a primer coat to help me see my prep work or lack there of.  I still witnessed scrape marks from my scalpel on my canning so I went back through the model and sanded strategically again. 

51491007803_2bf9c8db59_b.jpg

Rough spots  

51491717450_b8e52d8b9a_b.jpg

Next time I will do this operation before I assemble anything together .

51490790886_e3be1c131e_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 12:21 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I'll take the liberty of voting for U-82 please (I wouldn't myself mind, even without brittle plastic, but it looks more visually interesting).

David

David, the U-82 it will be.  I appreciate the recommendation. (I was leaning that way too). :)

• Like 1

White primer.

Added pre-shading.

51505696863_23e2c0fed7_b.jpg

51505388541_7def1c7a0f_b.jpg

I was doing well then..  Bloopfff…. Airbrush threw up. I made a mistake. While adding color, I got a little to complacent with not cleaning / checking the tip.  

51506274235_9cce144313_b.jpg

I tried spraying over it, the splat didn’t blend in at all.  So I let it dry, sanded it lightly with 600 grit sandpaper, and touched it up.  It’s like it never happened.  When my mistake dried I actually kind of liked the look of it and it probably would have been fine. The splat might of even looked cool during the weathering phase.  

51506269820_f4b5fd41c3_b.jpg

51504536372_60e22258ba_b.jpg

I made some new model working fixtures at lunch today at work and they are working well. It seemed like every time I touched the model lately I am breaking off a rudder or a part. Two steps forward, one step back. Good grief! 
I will add some adhesive backed foam strips to the contact points to protect the model.  
Anyway I’m still making progress and learning a bunch as I go.  

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 6

Well yesterday I ate a whole plate of humble pie.   My predicament started after I masked my uboat to receive 2-3 coats of worn effects. I have both AK “worn effects” & “heavy chipping”.    I think I was expecting WE to behave like HC and it did not come off that easy.

I started trying to agitate the surface with little effect, kept trying, and then I noticed a little area was chipping. The white primer was coming through in spots.  Oof.
At this point the area I was working on became sacrificial and I started trying different things. For the love of Noah please come off!!    So now it just looked like…not how I wanted it to look. (Biting tongue-fighting the words back). 

51513501318_3b921aa8b3_b.jpg

Too cool off from my failings I decided to clean my airbrush. While  putting the gun back together I could not find the spring.    This has never happened before mind you. So now I am speaking the forbidden language of Ming the Merciless.  I cleaned my whole workbench, crawled all over the floor with a flashlight, sifted through my trash bin like a forensic investigator.  Went through my drawers and looked at the airbrush cleaning bristles and there was my missing spring. Omg!! 30 minutes later. 

I primed over my failed chipping panel and called it a night.  

51514206965_054d545671_b.jpg

Tonight when I got home from work I decided to put down a light coat of varnish in hopes to protect my rusty steel base color.  I went through the process again for chipping.  Sprayed 3 coats heavy chipping, let dry, paint  several coats of hull color, let dry, then went through and tried getting comfortable with my chipping tools. A sponge & a toothbrush turned out to be my favorites today.

anyway, thanks for looking as I crawl forward  

51514246850_3121b0c9c6_b.jpg

51513540773_c4beeefe33_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 4

Gidday, that's an interesting place to store a spring. I've misplaced stuff in the past, spent ages looking for it, only to find it right in front of me! And although I prefer beef and onion pies myself I guess we all need to eat the humble variety at sometime. Looking forward to seeing more progress. Regards, Jeff.

Short version:
Primed again 

painted again

Masked for camo

rinse, repeat.

added camo stripes.

Long version:
I find myself unsure of the story I’m trying to tell with my model.  This is something I would like to have in mind as I work towards it.  From the start that is.  

I apologize for anyone who is watching this build real-time to see me 2nd guess details & solidify my thoughts as I go. 
I weathered my lower hull pretty dramatically which is generally underwater.  I do want to portray a heavily weathered Uboat.  I decided to re-primer my model last night.  I am imagining my Uboat showing more weather and stress effects above the waterline vs below. 
So today I have re painted, re chipped, & added the upper hull color. I think this is closer to what I had in mind.  I did still add some chipping to the lower just not as much. 

51518005739_f8b073c1f5_b.jpg

51517291346_fbc632a2b0_b.jpg

The heaviest chipping near the anchor intake.

I masked the upper hull for the camo pattern to resemble U-82.

51521392566_f06fa2d294_b.jpg

I removed the masking tape and observed the tape pulling the weak spots of my previous work on the upper hull. Note to self; next time I will account for the this and will chip less. 

51522099089_4eb8c63729_b.jpg

After all the dust settled I am happy with the camo pattern. I got.

51518483420_c712908ffc_z.jpg

51520611227_2e1da5c368_b.jpg

51520611252_0f8d1d2f04_b.jpg

51521423901_fe8405c911_b.jpg

After this photo was taken I reduced some of the chipping in the lower hull carefully. 
Im satisfied.

Edited by Goji308
Added photo
  • Like 8

On 9/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, VinBizz4786_ said:

Can you tell me witch colors did you have used for the upper hull and the camouflage please ? 

I used a combination of paints but used mostly Tamiya Sky and German grey on the upper. 

51529109170_c9df5c66e0_b.jpg

I added some shadows and highlights.  

51510739725_017c0ef3a2_b.jpg

I bought a new replacement PE deck gun for this build.  I am looking forward to it. The parts are incredibly small.  Yikes.

last night after using my airbrush I was in the process of cleaning and putting it back together and I noticed my trigger was screwed up.   No idea how this happened. The only thing that possibly could cause this is possibly I dropped it in the floor? I ordered a replacement today   Good grief!

51527382862_35a92f603d_b.jpg

• Like 4

Steve,  yes, most likely I’m responsible for the issues.  
I have added another layer of shadows on the hull and have been working on the plastic deck.

Does anyone have any recommendation  where I might find a wood deck for this kit?  
Thanks in advance
More pictures coming soon. 

Edited by Goji308

I only found nautilus as well, unless you want the pontos kit which includes a wood deck.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/pontos-model-72001f1-u-boot-type-vii-c-detail-up-set--961559

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/nautilus-models-72-501-type-viic-wood-deck-revell-germany-5015--237345

Not sure where you might get it though, I could only find it on their website with other places sold out.

David

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the recommendations and your time.  The deck offered by Nautilus USA is the only one I found as well. I am undecided at this point and may attempt to make one or use the included plastic deck.  

I have almost completed the Eduards 8.8cm deck gun and I don’t know if I’m a fan of photo etched parts.  I know I will not be rushing out to purchase another PE kit anytime soon.  I am sure there is a process and a learning curve.  Some of the kit went together smoothly and other parts of the kit had me wondering what am I missing here. A third hand could have been helpful in spots. Anyway, glad it’s done and almost behind me. I hope the effort was worth it. 

51546727245_79059b4cb7_b.jpg

51546047323_120d68b13e_b.jpg

Here are a few extras, high detail printed parts I picked up from SW to upgrade some of the low detailed parts that came with my kit. I also picked up some isolators and periscopes not shown in the photo below. 
Both the Eduards and some of the parts from SW will need some adapting to fit into Revells stock parts in order for them to fit. 
this morning. This morning I filed a flange of the deck and opened up a hole diameter.  Nothing too difficult. 

51546727140_fb69c312b9_b.jpg

Less than a year ago one of the uboats builds here in the forums from the past inspired me to get into making uboat models.  I came across Tristan’s Uboat build and was inspired, moved, & motivated.  
After that I started buying 1:72 uboat kits, gear, paints, brushes, an airbrush, compressor, tape, tweezers, a dremel, glue,  books, etc.. and more of course. (Cringing at all my receipts). 

It’s been a fun journey so far and I appreciate all of you for your posts, friendships,  shared information, tips, & advice, that help guys like me with two left hands.

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 4

So the camouflage color is just Dark Grey XF-63 ? or you add anther color with? And sky Grey also with antoher color ? Or did you use these 2 colors as base tints ?

And nice work on the 88 gun ! Congrats 

Edited by VinBizz4786_
  • Thanks 1