1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

A decent sized decal count there too!

Personally I’d rather separate items rather than all in one, ease of assembly parts. Bit disappointed at that, especially given it’s 1/32 scale so you can get a good look into the cockpit, etc.

Edited by Peter Roberts

1 hour ago, Peter Roberts said:

Personally I’d rather separate items rather than all in one, ease of assembly parts. Bit disappointed at that, especially given it’s 1/32 scale so you can get a good look into the cockpit, etc.

That’s a fair point Peter but the Wingnut crowd normally worked out what would work best so I suspect the Spit will be fine. You can always attack it with a razor saw bit I think I will go with whatever the designers had in mind. That’s the great thing about modelling- we can get to the same end point but by different routes !!

• Like 1

Hmmm......no doubt it wil be spectacular but upon seeing these pics I'm beginning to think that this kit looks like it's broken down into way too many parts.

Time will tell

18 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

broken down into way too many parts

Funny. 
Splitting off the radiator, throttle quadrant, oxy bottles and other internal gubbins would have increased the parts count even more. 
Can't please everyone :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

The other issue is painting - my painting skills aren’t what they used to be, so separate items helps me here. But that’s just me.

Perhaps the AM guys will cater to those of us who want separated detail? 

Nevertheless, what IS there is wonderful. The instrument panel for one is the most accurate I have seen for a Spitfire, with all the additional levers and controls across the bottom. And some nice structural detail on the cockpit walls. The elevator detail looks a bit plain, but that may be just the pic. Will reserve judgement to when I’m holding the real thing.

8 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Hmmm......no doubt it wil be spectacular but upon seeing these pics I'm beginning to think that this kit looks like it's broken down into way too many parts.

Time will tell

It looks to me like they've keep the parts count as low as possible. Look at the cockpit - bottles, throttle quantrant and compass all moulded in. Parts like the spine and wing to body fairings have been moulded separately to allow the detail to be correctly moulded.

Although I am pretty old school, and I have always painted parts separately before assembly, I am quite willing to give things a try. I have noticed while watching a lot of online builds, both in pics and videos, that several reputable modellers are assembling components and then painting them post assembly. I think I could use up some of my parafilm M, masking the moulded on bits without too much trouble. I am just going to be chuffed to have it. Thinking back to 1969 when I built the Revell 1/32 Spitfire in a weekend, I suspect that I will enjoy the Kotare build even more, and it will probably not be a weekend project.

Cheers

Jeff

17 hours ago, Tbolt said:

It looks to me like they've keep the parts count as low as possible. Look at the cockpit - bottles, throttle quantrant and compass all moulded in. Parts like the spine and wing to body fairings have been moulded separately to allow the detail to be correctly moulded.

6 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

Although I am pretty old school, and I have always painted parts separately before assembly, I am quite willing to give things a try. I have noticed while watching a lot of online builds, both in pics and videos, that several reputable modellers are assembling components and then painting them post assembly. I think I could use up some of my parafilm M, masking the moulded on bits without too much trouble. I am just going to be chuffed to have it. Thinking back to 1969 when I built the Revell 1/32 Spitfire in a weekend, I suspect that I will enjoy the Kotare build even more, and it will probably not be a weekend project.

Cheers

Jeff

I’m much the same, I paint everything seperate. Not really a fan of Kotare’s methods in the cockpit, it does look good though.

In fact, I don’t brush paint anything anymore, I mask and spray.

• Like 2

While it looks like a great kit and I know the pictures aren't that big but here it looks like the fasteners merge into the panel lines? Also the Dzus fasteners on the top cowl seem to go of the edges in places. Not difficult to fix and maybe I'm being a little picky but just pointing it out as it's a premium kit, but I do realize it is their first one and it won't stop me buying one.

52656833994_54b2fef139_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

While it looks like a great kit and I know the pictures aren't that big but here it looks like the fasteners merge into the panel lines? Also the Dzus fasteners on the top cowl seem to go of the edges in places. Not difficult to fix and maybe I'm being a little picky but just pointing it out as it's a premium kit, but I do realize it is their first one and it won't stop me buying one.

52656833994_54b2fef139_o.jpg

I'm not so sure. Photos of real top cowls show the same Dzus fastener on the edge detail, to my eye anyway, at the rear. The panel you highlighted in blue appears to have the fastening screws right on the edge of the panel line in real life, but perhaps not exactly as seen in the model photo. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wmcgill said:

I'm not so sure. Photos of real top cowls show the same Dzus hifastener on the edge detail, to my eye anyway, at the rear. The panel you highlighted in blue appears to have the fastening screws right on the edge of the panel line in real life, but perhaps not exactly as seen in the model photo. 

spacer.png

Yes the Dzus fasteners are very close to the edge on the real thing but it just looks cut off. Anyway the main think is they are not raised like on most kits. The other panel just reminded me of some of the Airfix kits where they try and get fasteners close to the edge and they blend into the panel line. But like I said the photo are a bit small so we will have to see what it's like when someone gets one in their hands.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2023 at 5:23 PM, wmcgill said:

Each to their own I guess, but I don"t think 117 parts is way too many for a 1/32 Spitfire kit.

I'd have to agree with that. I've seen 1/72 kits that had far too many parts for me to be able to handle.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

You're in Whanganui too?! Please tell me you're getting one so I can come over and have a look 😇

Fraid not, Zac. I'm more into cars...

A big fan of Kotare, though - clue - I used to live in Wellington.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 29/01/2023 at 20:08, Tbolt said:

Yes the Dzus fasteners are very close to the edge on the real thing but it just looks cut off. Anyway the main think is they are not raised like on most kits. The other panel just reminded me of some of the Airfix kits where they try and get fasteners close to the edge and they blend into the panel line. But like I said the photo are a bit small so we will have to see what it's like when someone gets one in their hands.

It does look that way doesn't it, we'll see when we all own one and can inspect the final releases in our own hands, otherwise this kit looks amazing and is a must buy very soon for me.

You know ... and as it seems to me, the more perfect a kit can get, the more we see slight imperfections, does anybody else notice that? We tend to scrutinize more I suppose? .. Its not a bad thing to do, but it is a futile thing to do a lot of us and inc me do, because there is no such thing as perfection and a perfect kit, but it doesn't stop us looking for flaws ... its just Human Nature and evolution in progress to look for something better each time :)

I see it all the time with new release Tamiya kits as they are often considered the best quality kits of any factory ... Just sayin :)

On 3/8/2023 at 11:27 AM, Jo NZ said:

I'm more into cars...
A big fan of Kotare, though - clue - I used to live in Wellington.

I hear they're keen on Mr McLaren's machines...

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 17:13, Wibble said:

The Kotare Spitfire is out for delivery - here's mine 😃

I think you have a slight geographical advantage!!

Edited by Julien
dont quote the pictures
  • Haha 2

On 10/03/2023 at 17:13, Wibble said:

The Kotare Spitfire is out for delivery - here's mine 😃

I’m jealous, if you can ride your bicycle to pick it up you should be last. :)

They should ship alphabetically starting with Canada.

Edited by Julien
dont quote the pictures
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’m jealous, if you can ride your bicycle to pick it up you should be last. :)

They should ship alphabetically starting with Canada.

I agree, ship alphabetically, starting with Australia 

• Haha 2