1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

7 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

So are you going to tell us, or is it a secret?

KOTARE ( as pointed out in the introduction sheet)  has spies and recording devices in every model club in the world ...if I told anybody what I know (apart from the fact I've fondled the sprues for the Fairey Fruitbat ) I wil be gassed and  sent to Portmerion where I will be given a number instead of  my name and spend the rest of my days drinking Coffee   and getting chased by giant white balloons every time I try to leave ... (actually thats pretty much my current lifestyle ) Why the hell did number 6 ever want to escape ???)

Edited by Neil Lambess
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 3/21/2023 at 12:33 PM, Tbolt said:

I was asking whether the model has the flush riveting represented on the fuselage or not or only just the raised rivets.

Some close ups, taken with oblique lighting, emphasize the surface features.

As seen in the last three, fastener detail does merge, if ever so slightly, into adjacent panel breaks in some areas.

snZvC8V.jpg

UcaSvQ9.jpg

4hWPrMG.jpg

bSLLPCz.jpg

GKDlatM.jpg

Edited by plastiksurgeon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Can we please keep this on topic as I have had to remove a whole load of posts not on topic. Any more and it will be closed down to the detriment of those actually discussing the kit.

Thx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/22/2023 at 1:04 PM, pacificmustang said:

There’s flush rivets on the forward fuselage, as there should be. I had a close look at the kit parts today for the first time. Kotare have even moulded the ribs on the insides of the wings. This produces a very subtle rippled look on the wings. It will be interesting to see how the effect looks under paint

Im liking the kit, more and more .

Bruce 

Used to be we called that 'subtle rippled look' shrinkage 😉

23 hours ago, plastiksurgeon said:

Some close ups, taken with oblique lighting, emphasize the surface features.

As seen in the last three, fastener detail does merge, if ever so slightly, into adjacent panel breaks in some areas.

Thanks for that. Interesting that they have only gone for raised and the larger flush rivets. I guess some people won't like that, but once painted will probably look pretty good.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:48 AM, plastiksurgeon said:

fastener detail does merge, if ever so slightly, into adjacent panel breaks in some areas.

…perhaps authentically so I should add, at least in the case of the rear cowl fasteners. 

g6rhzm9.jpg

Edited by plastiksurgeon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this kit at my club the other night.  I am a Spitfire fanatic and to be honest I was not that wowed. Riveting over done size wise, lacked finess on the panel lines. The Airfix and Tamiya versions are far better. To me looked like Revell on a really good day. 

Will not be parting with my money. Disappointing considering the hype.

Dick

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, Ingo Ritz said:

Kotare is releasing another Spitfire with a figure of Brian Lane  https://www.kotare-models.com/products/k32601-kotare-132-spitfire-mkia-brian-lane

spacer.png

This is interesting, £18 cheaper at Jadlam if you pre-order. I guess it’s because there is only one set of markings but you get a figure and I’m sure an aftermarket decal set would still give you a lovely Spitfire for less than the cost of the first boxing.

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

This is interesting, £18 cheaper at Jadlam if you pre-order. I guess it’s because there is only one set of markings but you get a figure and I’m sure an aftermarket decal set would still give you a lovely Spitfire for less than the cost of the first boxing.

and it’s a ‘Limited Edition’ for whatever that’s worth.

25 minutes ago, elderly said:

and it’s a ‘Limited Edition’ for whatever that’s worth.

That’s rather the point - only one set of markings.

MIt’s funny because Wingnut released 4 boxings of previously released kits but included a figure of the associated ace and just markings for his aircraft- although in the case of Richthofen there were several aircraft- but Wingnut charged about £10 extra!!

And Hannants are listing on their weekly email that it will be about £110, which would be a typical Wingnut price differential for a kit with a figure. Looks like Jadlam are offering a really good price! I think I will order one and reduce my Hannant's order accordingly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

And Hannants are listing on their weekly email that it will be about £110, which would be a typical Wingnut price differential for a kit with a figure. Looks like Jadlam are offering a really good price! I think I will order one and reduce my Hannant's order accordingly!

Yes Hannants have got it the same price as the standard boxing but that Jadlam price is really good. SMS have got the standard boxing on pre-order for £89.99 but they haven't listed the limited edition yet.

Order with Jadlam placed!! I have one on order from Hannants to so I am getting still two kits but the full range of marking options and a bit cheaper. It's probably still cheaper to buy the 'limited' kit from Jadlam and then buy an Xtradecal after market sheet?

4 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Yes Hannants have got it the same price as the standard boxing but that Jadlam price is really good. SMS have got the standard boxing on pre-order for £89.99 but they haven't listed the limited edition yet.

Do they charge postage do you know?

On 15/04/2023 at 03:47, jenko said:

Riveting over done size wise, lacked finess on the panel lines. 

I thought exactly the same thing when I first  saw a REAL  full size Spitfire...could not believe the wavy panel lines and the Size of some of the rivets ! 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Thanks for that. I may place an order with them to then. A tenner is a tenner when all is said and done!!

Plus the side bonus of Jadlam points to reduce the price of your future buy off them

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Plus the side bonus of Jadlam points to reduce the price of your future buy off them

Yes, indeed and in fact I got a fiver off this once. I have ditched my two on order at Hannants and ordered one from SMS as well so that’s saved about £27 overall and I still have the full set of marking options to use on either kit. If I was only buying one then I’d probably buy the limited edition one from Jadlam and then an Xtradecal sheet because you can be sure that they will have at least one decal sheet lined up for this spec of Spit. They would no doubt cost around £12 so you would still save a fiver against Hannants backorder price. I really do think that Kotare will milk these moulds for every early Spit they can think of. A IIa will only need a teardrop blister for the starboard cowl and I know they have a Va slated already. Good for Kotare!!

I wonder why you can by it from Jadlam at that price, I presume you can all figures this out.

The ones would could not figure it out would have gone direct to Kotare and paid think end of £140.00 if they were honest about the import costs.

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

1 hour ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

I wonder why you can by it from Jadlam at that price, I presume you can all figures this out.

The ones would could not figure it out would have gone direct to Kotare and paid think end of £140.00 if they were honest about the import costs.

I can't figure it out, why they are doing it that much cheaper than the standard boxing that is.

Reduced marking options - 1 option only I expect but then you get a figure which normally adds 10 dollars/euros/pounds to the price but I don’t understand why it’s that much cheaper- but I’ve ordered one so that’s what it expect it will cost! Got to wait until July though.