1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

5 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

They look great - are they preassembled?  Thoughts are around keeping paint away from the oleo.

yes they are @Peter Roberts  I haven’t started and there may be a casting block to remove on they very top but otherwise they are ready to go. He is a small outfit so delivery time can be some weeks so it’s a plan ahead job. The P-38 I am doing has quite a bit of resin being added hence my purchase

• Thanks 1

• Kagemusha changed the title to 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid) from Kotare

Well, the negotiations with the Commander in Chief went well. I had to promise that I would build it…😉 I was leery about the shipping cost, but it was cheaper than I expected. Will it be under the tree? Fingers crossed.

Looking at the website and photos, and the instructions with reference photos, it really reminds me a lot of Wingnut Wings, and that’s a good thing. The surfaces look extremely realistic.
52 years ago I built the Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.I N3029 DW-K from 610 Squadron, so I am going with the same markings, only this time it’s Kotare and P9495, I reckon it’s going to look a little nicer than the old Revell kit.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Any sharper pictures of the plastic available?

I so want to support this venture and expect I'll be in the second or third wave of buyers.

A lot of much-wanted new stuff hitting three figures, and that's where the hobby is nowadays — such a long way away from the bagged blue plastic Airfix 1/72 Spitfire I bought from the RAF Acklington NAAFI in 1965 for <10p. Was so excited to build it my 8 year-old legs worked like crazy pedalling the 20ins bike back home, such that I crossed a red light and got buzzed by a Blunty on finals. 

So, not much has changed in the last 56 years except that the kits, detail and the price have got much bigger.

Tony

Edited by tony.t
edit
  • Like 1

Kotare are currently listed as one of the traders who are scheduled to be in attendance at this year's ScaleModelWorld at Telford.

Not sure if that means we get to see final sprues of the 1/32nd Spitfire ahead of a release or actual kits to buy.

Maybe we will see some future kit developments too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon J said:

Kotare are currently listed as one of the traders who are scheduled to be in attendance at this year's ScaleModelWorld at Telford.

Not sure if that means we get to see final sprues of the 1/32nd Spitfire ahead of a release or actual kits to buy.

Maybe we will see some future kit developments too.

That's interesting. In Wingnut Days they brought loads of stuff but as Kotare only have one product they may bring a large pile! Could be a very good opportunity to pick one up at a show price. I will be very interested to see what that turns out to be by the time the dollar/pound shenanigans have played out, at least to that date! It will be good to see Richard Alexander again. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 6:32 AM, tony.t said:

The concept is gorgeous: WingNutWings quality but with no rigging! Win-win.

Almost. I had a good look at the instructions on Kotare’s website, and they certainly look much like WNW’s. The instructions are jpegs with copious watermarks across everything, however by taking screenshots and adjusting the exposure, you can almost eliminate the watermarks on the white background, making them a lot easier to read. I thought there was a mistake on page 2 where I saw EZ-Line mentioned. I discovered there are numerous rigging diagrams for all of the control cables and antenna wire! This is where the EZ-Line comes in, so you could just do the antenna, however if you want to add the control cable rigging, the instructions are very easy to follow. Colours are given with Tamiya and Humbrol as well as FS numbers and BS numbers for the camouflage. Also it was nice to see the late Edgar Brooks mentioned in the references.

I noticed that the lightening holes are only recessed, however they show clearly where you can drill them out if you want a higher level of detail. This probably reduced the cost and complexity of mould production and most serious modellers have twist drills or reamers anyway.

BTW the instructions are not the final copy, they are obviously a preliminary draft, some reference numbers point to a different photo or tag, and the data placement only shows the line drawings, but I am sure that they will be exceptional when printed. In going through the instructions, this will be the next level in a Mk.Ia Spitfire. The surface details are going to blow your socks off, and costs much less than the exWNW/Border Lancaster. Expect WNW quality and more. They have noticed a lot of different idiosyncrasies and they are all pointed out to the modeller, in the reference photos ie. “Note the hinge cutouts, subtle rib-stitching and lack of scalloping on the tightly doped fabric covered surface. Also note the lack of pre (and post) shading effects either side of the ribs”. I like these guys, they know how real airplanes look.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Almost. I had a good look at the instructions on Kotare’s website, and they certainly look much like WNW’s. The instructions are jpegs with copious watermarks across everything, however by taking screenshots and adjusting the exposure, you can almost eliminate the watermarks on the white background, making them a lot easier to read. I thought there was a mistake on page 2 where I saw EZ-Line mentioned. I discovered there are numerous rigging diagrams for all of the control cables and antenna wire! This is where the EZ-Line comes in, so you could just do the antenna, however if you want to add the control cable rigging, the instructions are very easy to follow. Colours are given with Tamiya and Humbrol as well as FS numbers and BS numbers for the camouflage. Also it was nice to see the late Edgar Brooks mentioned in the references.

I noticed that the lightening holes are only recessed, however they show clearly where you can drill them out if you want a higher level of detail. This probably reduced the cost and complexity of mould production and most serious modellers have twist drills or reamers anyway.

BTW the instructions are not the final copy, they are obviously a preliminary draft, some reference numbers point to a different photo or tag, and the data placement only shows the line drawings, but I am sure that they will be exceptional when printed. In going through the instructions, this will be the next level in a Mk.Ia Spitfire. The surface details are going to blow your socks off, and costs much less than the exWNW/Border Lancaster. Expect WNW quality and more. They have noticed a lot of different idiosyncrasies and they are all pointed out to the modeller, in the reference photos ie. “Note the hinge cutouts, subtle rib-stitching and lack of scalloping on the tightly doped fabric covered surface. Also note the lack of pre (and post) shading effects either side of the ribs”. I like these guys, they know how real airplanes look.

Cheers

Jeff

Agree - for me, this is my favourite aircraft and to see this level of detail is sublime. The team at Kotare look like they are doing an extraordinary job with this one. I’ve pre-ordered two; they say they are doing a ‘late’ production Mk I so will be in for a few of those too. I hope they also do an ‘early’ version, so many subjects there as well! Very happy days! :) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Source:  https://www.facebook.com/kotaremodels/posts/pfbid0iqukKA4UMYQ3n5CjqxGnPVTJNFDRrvLYHAoEWmVrXeEenZ1e53Aa8vH4C1AcSdt5l

If you're in the UK on the weekend of 12-13 November 2022, please come and visit us in hall 2 at Scale Model World in Telford.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/543286466226964/

K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) designer Darren Mildenhall and General Manager Richard Alexander are looking forward to meeting you. And if you're out and about in the pub in the weekend maybe we can have a beer together!

We won't be selling anything this year but will be displaying built up pre-production samples of K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid). We'll also have some other things on display and maybe something new to announce. Oh, and we'll be giving away New Zealand chocolate fish (so long as we can get them into the country!

Thank you everyone who has placed a pre-order for K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid). There is still time to place your pre-order through www.kotare-models.com and receive an exclusive Darryl Legg box art print suitable for framing.

Cheers

Richard

Kotare Models LTD

313414144-201859045549506-12562196111511

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just seen the instruction booklet. Jeezo! it IS a Wingnuts re-incarnation isn't it? Same layout, same paint guide, same team, same pics, same biogs!

Wonder if this means that after an initial popular choice (Spitfire/SE5a) we can anticipate some oddball releases, like say a 1/32 Martin-Baker MB5, a 1/32 Blackburn Skua, culminating in a 1/32 Me321 Gigant glider with a boxing for the Me323 transport - which will sink the company and leave Hannants shelves groanng with unsold stock, alongside the WNW Gotha UWD white elephant? 

Maybe Border would pick up moulds for an unreleased 1/32 B-29 (or a V bomber!) and make another fortune from somebody else's work!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Macsporran said:

Wonder if this means that after an initial popular choice (Spitfire/SE5a) we can anticipate some oddball releases, like say a 1/32 Martin-Baker MB5, a 1/32 Blackburn Skua, culminating in a 1/32 Me321 Gigant glider with a boxing for the Me323 transport - which will sink the company and leave Hannants shelves groanng with unsold stock, alongside the WNW Gotha UWD white elephant? 

Nothing oddball about a 1/32 scale Blackburn Skua, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Macsporran said:

Same layout, same paint guide, same team, same pics, same biogs!

Wonder if this means that after an initial popular choice (Spitfire/SE5a) we can anticipate some oddball releases

Lots of common ground in terms of the skills on display, but the big difference that this time around it has to earn its keep, not being the plaything of a billionaire. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 11:29 PM, JohnT said:

Jeff @MrB17 if you ever feel the need to go for metal undercarriage legs and want something that looks the business then have a peek at Synthetic Ordnance Works web site. His stuff is really nice and while not that cheap it does add something to a big model. I bought the P-38 set and with the chromed section they do look way better than I could make the kit parts. 

link to his website :-

https://synthetic-ordnance-works.com/collections/all

Wow those look nice!

The only one that still looks spindly is the Mustang one ( no fault of theirs though)

It's a Spitfire: a really 'meh' subject for me. It's a World War 2 subject - again not my cup of tea. It's not made of resin, so again not something that lights my fire.

But it looks amazing. Something like this can turn a man you know...

It's only a matter of time before I buy one now.

• Haha 4

On 9/29/2022 at 7:07 PM, tony.t said:

Any sharper pictures of the plastic available?

I so want to support this venture and expect I'll be in the second or third wave of buyers.

A lot of much-wanted new stuff hitting three figures, and that's where the hobby is nowadays — such a long way away from the bagged blue plastic Airfix 1/72 Spitfire I bought from the RAF Acklington NAAFI in 1965 for <10p. Was so excited to build it my 8 year-old legs worked like crazy pedalling the 20ins bike back home, such that I crossed a red light and got buzzed by a Blunty on finals. 

So, not much has changed in the last 56 years except that the kits, detail and the price have got much bigger.

Tony

You've still got your 8 year-old legs, then? I wish that I could say the same ...

4 hours ago, elderly said:

Tiger Hobbies and Jadlam.

Thank you. Tiger Hobbies notification on BM implies that they will supply to other retailers who might in turn discount even more! I have a pre-order in with Hannants who said that they weren't allowing the normal discount because of the £/$ exchange rate but Tiger said they'd acquired dollars when the rate was more favourable so could do it. I wonder if Hannants will move from their stated position? A tenner is a tenner after all! 

On 11/5/2022 at 2:01 AM, Sabrejet said:

It's a Spitfire: a really 'meh' subject for me. It's a World War 2 subject - again not my cup of tea. It's not made of resin, so again not something that lights my fire.

But it looks amazing. Something like this can turn a man you know...

It's only a matter of time before I buy one now.

You know you want one.

Repeat after me, in a trance like state, for at least five minutes: ‘Must have a Kotare Spitfire, must have a Kotare Spitfire, must have…’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe Hannants have this available at a pre-order price a little under £100.

Edit- should have typed Jadlam but trashed the email trusted to faulty memory.

Edited by gunzo
correction