1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

23 minutes ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

6 months ago the GBP was worth $1.40 today you are not going to get much more than $1.10 and its going lower, so they are not far off 30%

I did check the rates before making my previous post.  Even on your figures the fall is 21%, not 30%  (0.3/1.40=0.21)

https://www.macrotrends.net/2549/pound-dollar-exchange-rate-historical-chart

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 15.00.38

Hello everyone.

I was in MJR hobbies shop on Tuesday and the guy behind the counter was in discussions with another shopper, and he was trying to drum up trade for one of these kits, and also said something like the past couple of posts, if Hannants don’t / won’t give trade discounts and the kits only get 10% then that trader (MJR) won’t be selling them.     😉

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hello everyone.

I was in MJR hobbies shop on Tuesday and the guy behind the counter was in discussions with another shopper, and he was trying to drum up trade for one of these kits, and also said something like the past couple of posts, if Hannants don’t / won’t give trade discounts and the kits only get 10% then that trader (MJR) won’t be selling them.     😉

Cant blame him.

My understanding and confirmed from a quick internet search on business forums today is that a retailer really needs to see a mark up of 30% + to be able to think of making any money.  Some look to more.  Certain large supermarkets (we know who you are !) even buy at £5 and sell for £10 with 100% mark up to the customer but use the power of their national retailing outlets to leverage big discounts from manufacturers.

10% isnt worth getting up in the morning for tbh.  You will make more money at the end of the year but not working if its a 10% margin on all goods.  

• Like 2

I'll follow this with interest. Kotare's product looks great. The modern global market does allow international reach for a business with a strong enough brand identity. Maybe Kotare have decided that they'd prefer direct sales. It's nice when stuff is on shelves more locally to buy but it's debatable how the total sales figures and total margin will shift going from B2B sales to B2C sales.

I did have an absolutely absurd debate with some people on Facebook about Airfix Buccaneers direct from Airfix versus from a 3rd party reseller. Several of them simply couldn't get it through their skulls that Airfix made much, much more on a direct sale compared to a trade sale on the same kit. Their logic was that Airfix wouldn't sell at a loss which is true, but they couldn't understand that developing an item with RRP of £75 including £11.67 VAT meant a gross selling price of £58.33, and if the reseller needed 30% margin to consider stocking it then Airfix had to sell it to them at £44.85. If Airfix needed to make 30% gross margin on the kit (total guess - I suspect it's higher) then it can't cost more than £34.50 to make. Going backwards again then, if Airfix sells to a reseller Airfix makes a £10.35 gross margin on that one kit. If someone orders it online from Airfix's website for RRP then Airfix makes £23.81 gross margin on it - or 69% rather than 30%.

It's clear then that % margin is far, far healthier without resellers involved who have their own need for a healthy gross margin to have a hope of achieving a positive net margin. The dilemma is whether it's better to do more product manufacturing and sell it at a (much) lower margin to resellers in larger volumes or do less product manufacturing and sell it at a (much) higher margin in lower volumes. There are a whole heap of circumstantial factors which would drive a business which makes stuff one way or the other. 

I suspect from the above that if Hannants aren't in a position to offer a meaningful trade discount unlike their normal practise it could either be a one off on the initial launch shipment due to having been stung with exchange rates so they've nothing left to play with, or that Kotare themselves just aren't interested in selling to resellers at a huge discount - I suppose we'll see how things pan out over the coming months. Those people aren't daft and I'm certain lessons have been taken from their time at WingNutWings and how that was run, both things they do want to do again and things they want to do differently this time around.

More generally, as much as it's going to pain most of us, I think it's going to be fairly unrealistic to expect discounts given the UK economy's performance relative to the global market and US dollar in particular which is the currency of preference for many international modelling manufacturers. :whistle:

• Like 8

Source: https://www.facebook.com/kotaremodels/posts/pfbid029bEbatMrjsLQhG2NKmeiQZr5E2FRC8RGTFgkuzrEadSVk4mGCkQmnpnEVfeTVKHyl

Kotare are pleased to announce that K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) is now available to pre-order for US$109 + postage at cost from New Zealand.

https://www.kotare-models.com/products/k32001-132-spitfire-mkia-mid

Shipping hopefully in late November-December 2022 subject to worldwide trade difficulties. Pre-order deposit payment required in full with 100% refund available on request up to the actual shipping date.

K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) US$109

-117 high-quality injection moulded plastic parts.

-35cm wingspan.

-Optional DeHavilland and Rotol propellers.

-Optional TR.9D and TR.1133 wireless controllers and aerials.

-Optional pilot’s seats with and without Sutton Type K harness detail.

-Optional open and closed cockpit doors.

-Optional open and closed canopy & hood.

-28 page fully illustrated instruction manual.

-Hand pump undercarriage retraction and wheel well jack detail.

-Wheels with weighted tyres featuring a correct alignment system.

-Parachute flare tubes.

-High quality Cartograf decals for 3 mid-production Spitfire Mk.Ia colour schemes;

Spitfire Mk.Ia N3180 KL-B “Kiwi”, AC Deere, 54 Squadron, May 1940.

Spitfire Mk.Ia N3277 AZ-H “Dirty Dick”, R Hardy, 234 Squadron, August 1940.

Spitfire Mk.Ia P9495 DW-K, SJ Arnfield, DF Corfe, J Ellis & P Litchfield, 610 Squadron, June & July 1940.

EXCLUSIVE DARRYL LEGG ART PRINT

All pre-orders for K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) placed through www.kotare-models.com will receive a beautiful 39cm x 26cm free Darryl Legg box art print suitable for framing. Note that this offer is exclusively available for pre-orders placed through www.kotare-models.com. Available only while stocks last.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please email [email protected] (which we check and answer more frequently than facebook messenger).

Cheers

Richard

Richard Alexander

307119430-194343002967777-55662095015931

302704181-194343012967776-87086036037830

305412072-194343022967775-14748020872864

302705736-194343086301102-38785850195152

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

FYI, Out of curiosity I mocked up an order to Maine, USA.  $109 pre-order, but the shipping was an additional (approx.) $25.  Adding a second made the shipping $38-40, so not a dramatic "economy of scale". 

Perhaps I should inquire about getting a review copy!

I'm not "complaining" about the price- I'm in the "buy it or don't buy it" camp. 

13 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

FYI, Out of curiosity I mocked up an order to Maine, USA.  $109 pre-order, but the shipping was an additional (approx.) $25.  Adding a second made the shipping $38-40, so not a dramatic "economy of scale". 

Perhaps I should inquire about getting a review copy!

I'm not "complaining" about the price- I'm in the "buy it or don't buy it" camp. 

Am I right in thinking that you don’t get taxed on an import like this? I recall someone saying that construction kits are classified as ‘toys’ in the US and are therefore tax free? 

8 hours ago, Gordon J said:

The Kotare Spitfire thread seems to have lurched into a debate on economics! 😧

And it's only one of many threads to have made that swerve - I keep thinking there should be a separate thread, or even a whole subforum, titled "Insane Kit Prices are Killing the Hobby!!!". Or maybe a subforum in the Buy and Sell area for the sale of redundant body organs to raise kit purchase funds. "Brain for sale - hardly ever used!!!" :drunk:

John

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Am I right in thinking that you don’t get taxed on an import like this? I recall someone saying that construction kits are classified as ‘toys’ in the US and are therefore tax free? 

There are no import tariffs or customs fees on kits shipped to the US. US buyers also get to buy from retailers like Hannants and manufacturers like Hornby/Airfix VAT-free. If you can hit the post-free limit on the Airfix site it’s possible to get Airfix items cheaper in the US than buying them in the UK.

• Like 1

Looks nice but just a teensy bit too pricey for me at the current £-$ exchange rate, not counting travel and import levies. But at the right price point for those routinely buying Tamiya props. However, let's not go down the economic 'splaining or whining route: it's going to make a lot of people very happy.

I'm looking forward to the 1/32 Revell Hurricane at £40 all-in and we'll see what Mr Wallet thinks about the Kotare kit after he's had a good cry about being emptied for the 1/48 Meng F-4G.

Tony 

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 15:13, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

6 months ago the GBP was worth $1.40 today you are not going to get much more than $1.10 and its going lower, so they are not far off 30%

If sterling was "going" that low it would be that low. Traders don't stop selling if they somehow know its going lower. Why would you hold sterling at $1.10 if tomorrow its going to be $1.05? Where its going, nobody knows. 

The photos look very promising! Therefore I am promising myself to get one. The negotiations are set for this evening. Wish me luck.

I can’t see myself requiring any aftermarket parts or decals, and a beautiful model can be had right out of the box. It will also make a nice companion to my FLY Hurricane Mk.I. The Spitfire is such an elegant design, I wouldn’t want to unbutton it, save the canopy slid back. 

Well done Kotare!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

But I bet Scale Aircraft Conversions does a landing gear set for it!

Probably clone the kit parts, like most of the others. Very few kits really require metal replacements, I have an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane still standing on its plastic gear, 20 years on. If I required metal, I would opt for brass over white metal, cleaner moulding and stronger. The only kit I built that could’ve used them was the Revell 1/32 F-15E. I’m pretty sure I will get long life out of the Kotare supplied gear. I do like the clever use of Scale Aircraft Conversions “SAC” emblem though.

Cheers

Jeff

For my money, probably an after market instrument panel. These products usually look a whole lot better than anything I can conjure up.

And some cockpit stenciling/placards. I think Baracuda have a set out, so would be an option here. They do nice work too.

Might have to hunt out some wire for plumbing in the cockpit and undercarriage 

• Like 2

Jeff @MrB17 if you ever feel the need to go for metal undercarriage legs and want something that looks the business then have a peek at Synthetic Ordnance Works web site. His stuff is really nice and while not that cheap it does add something to a big model. I bought the P-38 set and with the chromed section they do look way better than I could make the kit parts. 

link to his website :-

https://synthetic-ordnance-works.com/collections/all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

Jeff @MrB17 if you ever feel the need to go for metal undercarriage legs and want something that looks the business then have a peek at Synthetic Ordnance Works web site. His stuff is really nice and while not that cheap it does add something to a big model. I bought the P-38 set and with the chromed section they do look way better than I could make the kit parts. 

link to his website :-

https://synthetic-ordnance-works.com/collections/all

They look great - are they preassembled?  Thoughts are around keeping paint away from the oleo.

Edited by Peter Roberts

56 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

They look great - are they preassembled?  Thoughts are around keeping paint away from the oleo.

There’s a review on LSP and it appears that the polyurethane resin is cast with the metal in place, masking these would be a snap, compared to removing parting seams from the moving part of the oleo, and then simulating the polished metal. However there’s more metal than just the oleo, music wire is used for the transition to the spindle, I seriously doubt you could bend these. On the SOW home page, there’s a break down of the components. A far superior alternative to white metal, which bends easily. If you’re going to town on a model, these would kick it up a notch. The range seems to be targeting the most troublesome and likely to bend, and they are expanding their line to include other scales and components. Worth a look, and thanks to @JohnT for providing the link.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1