1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

Whilst I've no doubt that it will be an uberkit -at $109 USD+  = £95.00+  tis a funny old world when Airfix have been getting online stick for a £70 1/48 Bucc which is roughly the same size give or take (35cmx30 v 40x28cm) and  1/24 Spit which is appreciably bigger for the same price!

TT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheFlyingShamrock said:

Anyone know what the price is expected to be?

I think I will build Al Deere's from the box but would like to build Brian Lane's at some point too.

Do you have the Fundekals sheet for Brian’s plane?

Are the instructions still on the website as I can't see them? I've refreshed the page so I'm a bit stuck.

As for the price, I'll see what the kit looks like before committing myself, but I think it'll work out about the same as the Revell kit once the aftermarket parts and time to fix it up have been added.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Seriously overexpensive for size and detail, have no doubt it will be superb, but this is entering Tamiya street price( without engine), 

should not be more than 60-70€, at worst.

$109 I think is a good price ( I don't see it being that low though ). The later Tamiya boxings of the Spitfire retails at $199, but the World is a different place now and the price of everything has gone up, we might not like it but that's the way things are unfortunately.

• Like 1

The price is back as US$109, but I still can't see the instructions. They say the pre-orders can be placed from next week and pre-orders placed directly with Kotare will be available for shipping late November/December with a box art print included on a limited basis.

Being a bit dim tonight, I found the instructions a moment later with the link above the main image

Edited by Phil Evans
Added location of instructions
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, $109. Back in Wingnut days that would have translated to £109 , but if it’s going to be £95 then the usual 10% preorder discount equals about £85 which is about 10% more than I paid for Wingnut single seaters when they were last available for retail. It’s not cheap but it shouldn’t require any aftermarket- unless you want to buy it - but I agree that the Airfix price pointing does seem odd with £95 for the big Spit - bit that is exceptional value - and £70 for the Bucc , and the Victor to so I’m glad I bought mine when they first came out at around £45!! I’m afraid the kit prices in the U.K. have gone a bit mad but I suppose actually demand will show how much a retailer can actually sell them for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Interesting, $109. Back in Wingnut days that would have translated to £109 , but if it’s going to be £95 then the usual 10% preorder discount equals about £85 which is about 10% more than I paid for Wingnut single seaters when they were last available for retail. It’s not cheap but it shouldn’t require any aftermarket- unless you want to buy it - but I agree that the Airfix price pointing does seem odd with £95 for the big Spit - bit that is exceptional value - and £70 for the Bucc , and the Victor to so I’m glad I bought mine when they first came out at around £45!! I’m afraid the kit prices in the U.K. have gone a bit mad but I suppose actually demand will show how much a retailer can actually sell them for. 

Judging by Airfix’s latest prices they have a consultant in from Hasegawa! Asking £97 for the rereleased ancient 1/24th Harrier is laughable.

Mike

38 minutes ago, mick b said:

Judging by Airfix’s latest prices they have a consultant in from Hasegawa! Asking £97 for the rereleased ancient 1/24th Harrier is laughable.

Mike

I suppose they apply the price appropriate for the series number? That kit paid for itself almost a lifetime ago but it’s a lot of plastic!! 

On 9/15/2022 at 7:44 PM, Johnson said:

I have a feeling that this kit may be 'a good investment', in the same way Wingnut Wings kits are. That's what I'll be telling Mrs.J anyway. :wicked:

Yes! This ↑↑ I shall tell the Mrs that this kit is Bradford Exchange/Franklin Mint Heirloom quality and will be worth a fortune in years to come. That'll work! 

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2022 at 20:58, Thomas V. said:

Seriously overexpensive for size and detail, have no doubt it will be superb, but this is entering Tamiya street price( without engine), 

should not be more than 60-70€, at worst.

If it's to the same standard as Wingnut Wings kits, then the comparison isn't valid: WnW kits were vastly superior in finesse to Tamiya, and a great deal more satisfying to build (think full resin kit but in plastic). If Kotare can do a similar job then I might actually buy a Spitfire! (in 1/32, obvs...)

The kit is listed as $109 but when you factor in delivery, the 20% vat added by Kotare for UK VAT and the current exchange rate the actual price for ordering from the UK turns out to be £147.34.  Rather more than I was anticipating. 

On 9/16/2022 at 3:07 AM, Tbolt said:

The later Tamiya boxings of the Spitfire retails at $199,

Not in Japan they don’t. The most expensive Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire retails for the equivalent of $90.69 in Japan but the “street price” is $70-$75. That’s a far cry from $199.