1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

Sweet! I know it's another Spitfire, but we don't have a good early Spit in 1/32. The Revell kit leaves a lot to be desired, and I have a feeling this new kit will sit well next to the Tamiya VIIIs, IXs and XVIs. 

Al Deere's "Kiwi" as well! Naturally. Think I'll need at least two.

Steve

• Like 4

In the Kotare homepage:

https://www.kotare-models.com/products/k32001-132-spitfire-mkia-late

Model Kitsets / K32001 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Late)

K32001 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Late)

Announced on 15 September (Battle of Britain day) 2021. New model in development for release later next year, but only after we're really happy with it. The first all new 1/32 Battle of Britain era Spitfire Mk.I kitset since 1967. Yes that's right, 1967! We almost couldn't believe it ourselves.

US$TBC

Box art + 3D renders

6bd996ef-kotare-k32001-1-32-spitfire-mk-

e64c35d2-kotare-k32001-1-32-spitfire-mk-

d827947c-kotare-k32001-1-32-spitfire-mk-

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

SUPER excited by this announcement - can’t wait to see what they do with this one. And wonderful timing of the announcement, nicely done guys! 

I suggested a Spitfire Mk I to Wingnut Wings after they announced the Lancaster but was told that was their only foray into anything other than WW1. Sensational news! I’ll be buying this one in bulk! 

Bring it on!! Just hope we don’t have to wait until the next anniversary of BoB day to get our hands on it.

Now. Who will step up in 1/24 scale…….🙃

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Sweet! I know it's another Spitfire, but we don't have a good early Spit in 1/32. The Revell kit leaves a lot to be desired, 

Steve

From what I’ve read that’s a masterful understatement 

If these ex WNW guys apply WNW quality this will fill a gap on the shelves as any early Spit in 1/32 isn’t really up to it which is bonkers for such an important aircraft

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, JohnT said:

From what I’ve read that’s a masterful understatement 

If these ex WNW guys apply WNW quality this will fill a gap on the shelves as any early Spit in 1/32 isn’t really up to it which is bonkers for such an important aircraft

Totally agree! I'm still surprised that Tamiya didn't fill the Mk I shaped gap in the market. I had a lot of hope pinned on the Revell announcement, but felt totally underwhelmed when the kit arrived. If only it had been up to the standard of the P-51 that followed. Looks like that gap in the market is about to be filled at last. Time to get saving!

• Like 3

Shall we play price tag bingo? I imagine this will sit somewhere around the £130 mark? 

I really want one of these but I'm also tempted to hold out and see if they do any later marks. A late mark F.XIVe would be a dream come true (says he who has five Griffon conversions in the stash) 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

The announcement is for a Late Mk I. Leaves it open for a follow up of early and mid-production Mk I’s hopefully. 

Decal manufacturers, after market producers must be rubbing their hands!

Happy days!

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

The announcement is for a Late Mk I. Leaves it open for a follow up of early and mid-production Mk I’s hopefully. 

Decal manufacturers, after market producers must be rubbing their hands!

Happy days!

Hope they earn their money to stay in the market !  Maybe the second or third kit will be a bit more esoteric. Wonder how Big T will react. From their view a new Spit in WNW quality is a major character attack in a field they believe to possess - rubbing their hands means something different from this perspective.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ABeck said:

Hope they earn their money to stay in the market !  Maybe the second or third kit will be a bit more esoteric. Wonder how Big T will react. From their view a new Spit in WNW quality is a major character attack in a field they believe to possess - rubbing their hands means something different from this perspective.

The split of the Tamiya MkIX facilitates a Mk1 or V. Split wing fillet, post on rudder etc. 

28 minutes ago, WV908 said:

I really want one of these but I'm also tempted to hold out and see if they do any later marks. A late mark F.XIVe would be a dream come true (says he who has five Griffon conversions in the stash) 

They could clean up on Spits alone

Including the V, PR and Griffon marks plus the Mk 21-24 and Seafires.

Bring it on!

• Like 6

Had a lovely reply from Richard Alexander to an email I sent. I suggested that there is a great opportunity to also do an early and mid-production Spitfire Mk I, to which he replied:

"I doubt we'll be able to stop at just one variation"

Let the speculation begin! :) 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding news, I've grown old waiting for Tamiya early Merlin lineup, and if its close to WNW overall quality we're in for a treat.

Still don't understand how Tamiya was not able in more than a decade to fully exploit Mk.IX.c tooling, since (as already mentioned ) tooling was designed to enable Mk.I/V kits down the line.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Still don't understand how Tamiya was not able in more than a decade to fully exploit Mk.IX.c tooling, since (as already mentioned ) tooling was designed to enable Mk.I/V kits down the line.

I have no doubt Tamiya were able to do this - the only explanation I can see is that they did not think their target market would make it worthwhile to do so.  Maybe sales of the Mk. IX were not what they hoped.

Cheers

Colin