1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

On 9/15/2021 at 11:10 AM, MikeC said:

Who needs more Spitfires?

I certainly don't need one... but I'm certainly going to get one!:clap2:

Rich

For when 1/48 is just too small...

• Like 8

This certainly won't be your grand dad's 1/32 Spitfire Mk. I! Fortunately it's coming out next year, so I have time to pencil it into my modeling budget. :eat:

I just love how they are pushing the molding and kit design. It will certainly move the hobby forward.

• Like 1

Out just now for my afternoon walk in the countryside when flashing overhead came the unmistakeable sound and silhouette of Supermarine's finest, framed against the clouds in the late September sunshine. I wouldn't say I'm a dyed in the wool Spitfire nut but the sight certainly quickened my pulse and raised my spirits. To borrow a line from Wordsworth: "Dull would he be of soul who could pass by a sight so touching in its majesty".  Inevitably as I continued on my way, thoughts turned to 80 or more years ago and the impact this machine had (alongside its unsung Hawker stablemate) and the brave men that flew them, on world history - one of very few aircraft that can truly claim this.

I think its an inspired choice by Kotare for their first product, surprising only to the extent that the Spitfire in this, its most famous guise, has not been a subject in 1/32 for so long. Effectively having the market to itself - talk about a niche product! :giggle:

I hope this kit will stretch the limits of scale model production technology, become a huge commercial success and pave the way for the company to produce more scale works of art of many more subjects. To paraphrase the Chinese proverb -  a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

She'll be right, mate! 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 15

They never did much for until I saw one ‘live’ at an air show I was hooked.  At Temora one year they had a Spitfire, Mustang and P-40 on a flypast.  The Spitfire was so elegant, graceful and sounded so much better than the other 2.  The others were purposeful, but had no beauty.  Spitfires rule. And who doesn’t love the sound of a Merlin doing a cold start!  Can’t wait for this kit.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a 1/32nd scale builder but I say well done to Kotare on releasing a Spitfire Mk.1.

I don't agree with the people who might groan at another Spitfire release - I think it's appalling that we have had to wait this long to get a state of the art 1/32 Battle of Britain Spitfire.

• Like 10

I've a couple of WnW in the stash and I'm partway though a Tamiya 1:32 MkIV and I'm saving my pennies in anticipation of this kit.

as others have said I think they've learned lessons from WnW and producing a kit that will sell can only be a good thing for them providing a steady income and allowing future less obvious/commercial, but perhaps more interesting, offerings once the company is financially secure.

My wish for the 2nd kit would be a BoB Hurricane, I've love to have both in my display case.

After that I think they could then make some of the inter-war aircraft? 

I'm really looking forward to whatever Kotare come up with

• Like 4

On 21/09/2021 at 23:20, Cammer625 said:

They never did much for until I saw one ‘live’ at an air show I was hooked.  At Temora one year they had a Spitfire, Mustang and P-40 on a flypast.  The Spitfire was so elegant, graceful and sounded so much better than the other 2.  The others were purposeful, but had no beauty.  Spitfires rule. And who doesn’t love the sound of a Merlin doing a cold start!  Can’t wait for this kit.

At a RIAT many years ago I found myself standing near the static and watching the display. I noticed that while some fast metal did it’s thing the attending US and Brit aviators engaged in conversation ignoring the efforts above. All in a days work I suppose. The on came a Spitfire. End of conversation and all eyes skyward. At the end of the display the conversation resumed 

interesting observation I thought

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

At a RIAT many years ago I found myself standing near the static and watching the display. I noticed that while some fast metal did it’s thing the attending US and Brit aviators engaged in conversation ignoring the efforts above. All in a days work I suppose. The on came a Spitfire. End of conversation and all eyes skyward. At the end of the display the conversation resumed 

interesting observation I thought

Nice observation. A Spitfire in the air is a show stopper, the sight and sound is almost impossible to ignore.

• Like 5

Certainly not in my price range but for those who are prepared to pay the price go for it! I wonder if it was wise of WNW not to

have slipped one or two iconic WW2 subjects into their catalogue during their time there's no doubting the quality of those 

beautiful biplane kit's but it's a very limited market especially given the number of folk's on this thread alone prepared to pay

for a subject close to their heart's,I'm always a bit saddened to see Revell's kit getting a kicking yes it could have been so much

better but for little over twenty quid it's a great kit for those trying out the scale for the first time and with a smallish amount of

money for a good shaped spinner and wheel's can look a lot better.

Edit.Oh and where the Hell is a new tool 1/32 Hurricane hiding? There a folks out there paying £30 to £40 for Revell's

ancient kit every time one pops up on that auction site talk about a missed opportunity!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Edit.Oh and where the Hell is a new tool 1/32 Hurricane hiding? There a folks out there paying £30 to £40 for Revell's

ancient kit every time one pops up on that auction site talk about a missed opportunity!

There is the Fly 1/32 Hurricane kits. Had a couple myself. Everything you need in the box (resin, etch etc) and although it needs some care to build, it's still a lovely kit.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Everything you need in the box (resin, etch etc) and although it needs some care to build, it's still a lovely kit.

Agreed with one reservation - the cockpit totally defeated me with a fiendish combination of tubular structure, no positive locating points, and brittle plastic.  I got over this by adapting a Grey Matter cockpit which was designed for the Revell kit, but can be made to work.  Other than that and a few niggling mismatches between instructions and plastic, it is a good kit indeed.

But a Kotare one would be a must-have for me.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 09:39, stevej60 said:

I wonder if it was wise of WNW not to

have slipped one or two iconic WW2 subjects into their catalogue during their time there's no doubting the quality of those 

beautiful biplane kit's but it's a very limited market especially given the number of folk's on this thread alone prepared to pay

for a subject close to their heart's,

I thought much the same Steve.  I still bought 8 of them - 9 if you count the Meng Tripe

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A nice CAD image of the Spitfire's cockpit has been posted on Facebook by the Kotare team:

K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia cockpit detail.
In development for release later in 2022.
See more at www.kotare-models.com

51646126449_b213448331_b.jpgKotare Spit cockpit CAD by Zac Yates, on Flickr 

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 9

I'll leave accuracy comments to people who know their Spitfires well enough to comment but to me that does look rather tasty.  Given accuracy is right its nice to see the WNW tradition carrying forward.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:18 PM, Sabrejet said:

Um. No. It's mundane. Lacking interest. Humdrum. Spitfire kits are ubiquitous. I'm sure it will be better than any Spitfire kit before. But it's still a Spitfire kit. If you get Heston Blumenthal to make chewing gum, it will be Michelin-starred, but still chewing gum. WW2 modellers are awfully spoilt and seem to be oblivious to other, sparsely-represented eras. They often seem to also be of the opinion that anyone's next kit should just be an incremental improvement of something that's been done before but must be WW2. Meanwhile, hundreds of (for example) civilian aircraft types are passed by time and again. Ditto WW1 types (still), as are inter-war machines.

So let's hope for something a bit more imaginative next time. A 1/32 Defiant would be a start but I'm hoping for something pre-WW2.

So still plenty of room for a 1/32 DH.5, DH.6, Avro 504, BE.2e, Bristol Scout, Martinsyde Elephant & Buzzard etc. Maybe you can see why it's a bit galling to ask for "a modern kit of a Spitfire" when many exist, whereas many WW1 types have NEVER been kitted in 1/32...

What you've put is your wish list by the looks, Kotare are in business to sell scale model kits and not go the way of WNW. So I would think having first hand knowledge of how it all went wrong at WNW they'll want to play safe and produce kits that will sell and keep them in employment long term 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colin said:

What you've put is your wish list by the looks, Kotare are in business to sell scale model kits and not go the way of WNW. So I would think having first hand knowledge of how it all went wrong at WNW they'll want to play safe and produce kits that will sell and keep them in employment long term 😉

You are a bit late to the party but I'm sure you know by now that there was more to WNW folding than "it all went wrong". There are also many manufacturers who are "in business to sell scale model kits" who come up time and time again with imaginative subjects. Thankfully. 

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

You are a bit late to the party but I'm sure you know by now that there was more to WNW folding than "it all went wrong". There are also many manufacturers who are "in business to sell scale model kits" who come up time and time again with imaginative subjects. Thankfully. 

I'm pretty sure WNW would be here now if they had produced more well known subjects, especially from WWII. Like the Lancaster say 😄

18 hours ago, colin said:

I'm pretty sure WNW would be here now if they had produced more well known subjects, especially from WWII. Like the Lancaster say 😄

You need to understand the full story. I'm sure posted elsewhere here. It's not about subject matter.

• Like 1