1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

5 hours ago, fightersweep said:

The previously mentioned Southern Expo 1/32 Hornchurch sheet has Brian Carbury's markings included.

Steve

and a second sheet with “Rasp” Berry’s aircraft too

tbh I was thinking more along the lines of Pat Gifford 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8306768.stm

And XT-A “stickleback” L1070 first Spitfire to be credited with an air to air kill, a Ju 88, or so I understand. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeC said:

But this is interesting. 🙂

Um. No. It's mundane. Lacking interest. Humdrum. Spitfire kits are ubiquitous. I'm sure it will be better than any Spitfire kit before. But it's still a Spitfire kit. If you get Heston Blumenthal to make chewing gum, it will be Michelin-starred, but still chewing gum. WW2 modellers are awfully spoilt and seem to be oblivious to other, sparsely-represented eras. They often seem to also be of the opinion that anyone's next kit should just be an incremental improvement of something that's been done before but must be WW2. Meanwhile, hundreds of (for example) civilian aircraft types are passed by time and again. Ditto WW1 types (still), as are inter-war machines.

So let's hope for something a bit more imaginative next time. A 1/32 Defiant would be a start but I'm hoping for something pre-WW2.

So still plenty of room for a 1/32 DH.5, DH.6, Avro 504, BE.2e, Bristol Scout, Martinsyde Elephant & Buzzard etc. Maybe you can see why it's a bit galling to ask for "a modern kit of a Spitfire" when many exist, whereas many WW1 types have NEVER been kitted in 1/32...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

WW2 modellers are awfully spoilt and seem to be oblivious to other, sparsely-represented eras. They often seem to also be of the opinion that anyone's next kit should just be an incremental improvement of something that's been done before but must be WW2. Meanwhile, hundreds of (for example) civilian aircraft types are passed by time and again. Ditto WW1 types (still), as are inter-war machines.

This.  We're hip-deep in perfectly good kits of the usual Second World War ETO subjects, OK for modern subjects...and painfully thin on anything else.

I always marvelled that Wingnut Wings didn't do a DH.5. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Um. No. It's mundane. Lacking interest. Humdrum. Spitfire kits are ubiquitous. I'm sure it will be better than any Spitfire kit before. But it's still a Spitfire kit. If you get Heston Blumenthal to make chewing gum, it will be Michelin-starred, but still chewing gum. WW2 modellers are awfully spoilt and seem to be oblivious to other, sparsely-represented eras. They often seem to also be of the opinion that anyone's next kit should just be an incremental improvement of something that's been done before but must be WW2. Meanwhile, hundreds of (for example) civilian aircraft types are passed by time and again. Ditto WW1 types (still), as are inter-war machines.

So let's hope for something a bit more imaginative next time. A 1/32 Defiant would be a start but I'm hoping for something pre-WW2.

So still plenty of room for a 1/32 DH.5, DH.6, Avro 504, BE.2e, Bristol Scout, Martinsyde Elephant & Buzzard etc. Maybe you can see why it's a bit galling to ask for "a modern kit of a Spitfire" when many exist, whereas many WW1 types have NEVER been kitted in 1/32...

Strange isn't it that these companies actually want to make money and stay in business 😂 

But yes it's the modellers that drive this and unfortunately a good percentage of modellers will only mainly build the popular types they know well. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

To pick up on your theme, I would suggest a series of Hawker Harts and derivatives. More variations and schemes you could shake a strut at. Licence to print money I think. Boeing P-12 would also be a very ‘out of the box’ subject.

Think of this from Kotare’s accountant viewpoint. Unlike WNW, there are no owner’s millions backing them on day 1. They need the ‘bankers’ in the bank as it were. Once they have $ in the bank, maybe an RNZAF Vincent?!

Trevor

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:18 PM, Sabrejet said:

That's entirely subjective though. Mundane to you, but not others. To say it's "still a Spitfire kit" is being a bit disingenuous. Sure, it's a Spitfire, but if I want to build a Mk I, probably the most famous mark and the most recognisable, then the only choice up until now is the old 1967 Revell model. I've got a 1/32 collection of Battle of Britain types waiting in the wings. The most obvious hole in the stash is the Spitfire. Heck! I've even got a decent Hurricane in the shape of the Fly kit. The only other obvious gap is the Do-17 and Defiant. Sure there's the Tamiya Mk VIII, IX and XVI, but it isn't a Mk I. Same could be said for the Griffon engined variants. Practically ignored except for the old Matchbox Mk 22/24 and the hen's teeth Pacific Coast kit. Maybe for some, perhaps any old Spitfire kit isn't what is wanted.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pre war and WW1 stuff too. But is a Martynsyde Elephant a good choice for a fledgling company's first release in 1/32 scale? I doubt it. Whether we like it of not, WW2 sells, and I'll be buying this Spit because I want it, and secondly, because strong initial sales may lead to Kotare releasing that Defiant, and maybe that DH 5. This really isn't about imagination, or lack of it, but sales. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Well that told me!

Edited by MikeC
  • Haha 7

57 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I take your point but can’t agree most harmoniously in  two respects

The first is that there isn’t a kit of a BoB spitfire in 1/32 that’s worth anything. So it follows it’s quite certainly not duplication and just another Spitfire. Not sure I’d say that if they’d done a mark IX.  Imagine if there several Fokker Tripes not worth a damn and WNW had produced the definitive kit. No one would be saying “Oh not another Triplane”

Secondly Kotare need to make an entrance statement to the market. If doing a WW1 subject it needs to be something that grabs Joe Public and not just WW1 modellers only. In other words it has to be addressed to the biggest target audience. There is a commercial reason why WNW didn’t survive despite making the most beautiful kits I expect to see in my lifetime. 

To risk an analogy art films can be beautiful art but don’t make money at the box office or win Oscars 

And for what it’s worth I’d love a Bristol Scout in 1/32 but I get why we haven’t seen three or four companies Scouts on the local model shop shelves. Or even 1 in my fifty years of modelling for that matter. 

Having said that I do sympathise with your point of view and in an ideal world where money doesn’t talk then ……

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, HMSLion said:

I always marvelled that Wingnut Wings didn't do a DH.5. 

Just looked up the DH5 and expect that a type history explains why. It’s sadly an interesting subject but not a commercial subject I expect. Not sure I’ve seen a mainstream manufacturer doing one in any scale?  

• Like 1

I mainly build 1/72.  Lots of variation (within RAF/RAAF), obscure aircraft and ground craft.  Except for F-14’s, p-40’s, Lancasters and, yep Spitfires.  I have the old Revell one - had it since I was a kid.  It is ‘toylike’ - the Tamiya Spitfires are superior is all respects.   I can’t wait to get this one.  I’m the target group for these kits - another Spitfire that will (well should be) better than the Revell one. Can’t wait 😜 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

59 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Well that told me!

I think you deserve a more considered, less flippant response.

Whether Spitfires as a type are interesting  is, of course, a matter of taste and opinion,  and ours clearly differ. However, Spitfires sell. I'd have been very chuffed to see most of the things you mention,  and  I'll add a Hart family and Avia B.534.  But if that, or perhaps a DH60 had been the first release,  would Kotare make a profit on it? I doubt it. 

Once they have money coming in, then maybe we will see some more esoteric types.  I  look forward to seeing whether that is the case.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 3

Have to agree with JohnT. This model will be a starting point to get money into the piggy bank and not a loss leader.

Ok. Most would love to see a return to the WNW era....but lets move on .... there are big gaps in the modelling community namely post WW2 jets as an example. Lets give the guys some breathing space and lets see what they come up with and then comment in say a years time.

Best of luck to them ....... you certainly have grabbed my attention and wallet .

Dick

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jenko said:

.....there are big gaps in the modelling community namely post WW2 jets as an example. Lets give the guys some breathing space and lets see what they come up with and then comment in say a years time.

Post-WW2 jets? Sign me up straight away.....more Spitfires (or WW2 subjects in general), not so much!

I'm delighted to see the news of this kit, I don't normally do 1/32, but I will probably make an exception in this case, after all a 1/32 Spitfire isn't that big is it?  I would agree with other posters, a Spitfire will sell, bring in money to a new company and will let them produce other kits that perhaps haven't been done in 1/32 (Hampden perhaps?  I can live in hope!)  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phas3e said:

From the horses mouth, interview starts 70mins in if podcasts arent your thing (tbh its a pretty good listen all the way through)

https://otbmodellerspodcast.libsyn.com/

I disagree with the "pretty good listen"* (different strokes, etc), here are some bullet points I took away from it

- not at test shots stage yet otherwise would be more concrete with release schedule

- when asked about oilcanning etc Richard said surface detail "makes" the real aeroplane

- no indication of PE as the kit should be able to be built OOB, maybe some ancillary accessories later but too early to tell

- an engine adds a huge amount of complexity, there is a market for that but it cuts out people who want to just do one they saw

- number of decal options has been decided on but not ready to say, except Kiwi as on box art

- multiple boxings? "Want to milk it for all it's worth"!

- at the moment no wheels-up option but as part of the design process modelled compressed and uncompressed oleos and retraction to see how it fits

*I'm not a regular listener, this is the second one I've downloaded - the first was also for a Richard Alexander interview. Interesting how the hosts have a light-hearted whinge, and are always surprised, about Richard not telling them about what's next....almost as though they were unware of Wingnut Wings (and now Kotare) policy!

Edited by k5054nz