Battle of Britain Day: 605sqn fabric winged Hurricane

Ralph

81 Years ago to the day, on the 15th September  1940 P/O Cooper-Slipper of 605 sqn heard the scramble at the dispersal at RAF Croydon. It was the height if one of the most emblematic battles in the UK's history. Racing to his regular plane, he found it unserviceable, so he made for one of the reserve 'planes, Hurricane L2012 UP*V. Climbing into position, he came through clouds and almost instantly collided with a Dornier of Kg3, ripping the wing off his fabric winged Hurricane and sending both planes down. He luckily managed to get out to fight another day, even if the same could not be said for the Hurricane. Nevertheless, it accounted for an enemy aircraft; the score was even.

The inspiration for this project was both my abiding interest in the BoB, and a rather more niche interest in early fabric winged Hurricanes that survived to fight in the Battle. The inspiration came from a photo from Dilip Sarkar's BoB Kaleidoscope books  and help from Andy of Britmodeller provided the elusive code letter-thanks to him! Bae kit is the Airfix 1/72 Hurricane, with Yahu instrument panel and seat belts, resin five spoke wheels, an Arma open Hurricane canopy, and scratch built details such as the bespoke mirror  fitted to the windshield. Paints were  a mix of Tamiya and Xtracrylix, with decals a mixture of kit and Xtradecal generic letters and numbers. I rounded it off with a trolley acc from Flightpath.

Thoroughly enjoyed this project, and my way of marking those  now far off events that nevertheless continue to shape our lives.

Work in progress link below, along with pics.

20210804_151356

20210914_213252

20210914_212910 20210914_213133 20210914_213228

20210914_221917

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1