Has anyone else dreamt about modelling?

Mr T

I have recently had a couple of fairly strange dreams that I remember. In the most recent, I dreamt I had managed to score an Airfix SRN-1 hovercraft for a decent price. In fact there were two and I was trying to decide which one to buy. 

In the other dream , I was in a shop and it had a load of old Airfix kits in bags with headers, but hardly any of them were from the catalogue. There were a whole host of stuff Airfix have never done and never likely to do. I can't remember much now, but there was some tasty experimentals from the fifties as well as some stuff like the Miles Gemini and Venom NF3. A bit of wishful thinking on my part! All the prices were pre decimal. 

Imagine the sense of disappointment when I woke up, almost as great as... oh perhaps I better not say anything more as it is a family friendly site. 😉

• Like 4

I've never had a dream about it but I find that if I'm having trouble sleeping then trying to work out what the hell I should do next in order to reduce the number of kits in semi-built states tends to help me drop off tout suite.

• Like 6

Not modelling, but from time to time that I’m in a model shop. Not any of the real ones I’ve actually been in though for some reason. Usually with an unrealistically wide and attractive range of stock and even attractive quirky features such as a spiral staircase. No doubt symbolic of....something or other.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, pigsty said:

Do you mean the sort of dreams where you wake up sweating at three in the morning and you daren't go back to sleep?

I can help you with that. Stop building Fonderie Miniatures kits and it will all go away :wicked:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

@Mr T You're going to hate  me for this. But years ago I  came across dozens, yes dozens of SRN-1 hovercrafts in a modelshop. I  bought  them all for 50p each and sold them on to shop in Lavender Hill in London for 2 quid each. His advert in the  next model  magazine had them on sale for a tenner.😮

I kept a couple  back and built them  badly. Oh yes I  also sold him various bagged Airfix kits. Including bagged SRN-1s.

Sorry 😞. Really I  apologise. If it's any consolation I  regret it now. Yes I  made £200 but think of what they're worth now? I suspect most of them on the market  now were mine.

On the other hand, my recurring model dream is that I'm in a model shop literally wall to wall with kits. I'm overwhelmed and can't decide. Then I  wake up in  a panic. The problem is that I have found myself in a real model shop wall to wall with kits and can't decide. A waking nightmare.🥵

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

Hi noelh, that was a cool move you made there and it is my fault I didn't get one when they were a better price. Was the shop the one that became the Comet Miniatures one. Before it shut I used to go there when we went to see my sister in law. 

The only real time I have had a waking nightmare was when I was a student nurse and doing my pediatric placement. The ward was really busy and I had a nightmare about it. Woke up with relief and then went into work to find it was worse than the nightmare. 

I still dream about work and usually glad when I wake up to find it was a dream. 

• Haha 2

Indeed it was Comet but Tee Jay models at the time. Tony  James. When I  saw his ad. I wrote to him joking about asking for more money. He replied quite tartly and justifiably that he had expenses i didn't have. I was properly embarrassed and  wrote back apologising. Those were the days of snail mail so  it was a slow  motion discussion.

I'd well believe working in a ward is a  nightmare. My wife's niece is a nurse and she matter of factly described removing a dead man from a  toilet cubicle as a student. Then of course the pandemic arrived.😬

My main job related dream is going  back to  my first job and seeing everyone as they were. Even those who've died since. In the dream I  went up to Ian and Larry and pointed out to them that they are in fact dead. They just smiled enigmaticly.

But often in my dream the company has expanded and now  provides shops for the employees. Including a  model  shop.......

You can  guess what happens next.🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I've never had a dream about it but I find that if I'm having trouble sleeping then trying to work out what the hell I should do next in order to reduce the number of kits in semi-built states tends to help me drop off tout suite.

I've regularly woken myself up while dreaming/worrying about how I'm ever going to make an impression on my stash or how to deal with a tricky build. Quite often I've come up with an ingenious plan that seems perfectly reasonable at 3am only to wake up again in the morning to find I can't remember the details, or worse, that it was all a load of tosh!!

Duncan B

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, wombat said:

Not modelling, but from time to time that I’m in a model shop. Not any of the real ones I’ve actually been in though for some reason. Usually with an unrealistically wide and attractive range of stock and even attractive quirky features such as a spiral staircase. No doubt symbolic of....something or other.

I've had that dream, too, bar the spiral staircase.  I can remember shelves full of models and display cases of assembles kits, but not what the actual models are, which is quite frustrating.  Not dreaming, but I've also had the little voice in the small hours telling me I'm barking mad for having a stash I can't possibly complete.