Heller 1/72 Potez 540 "Charles de Gaulle" (from the French Fancy 2 GB)

TonyOD

In the spirit of the French Fancy GB, my objective was to choose a subject as French as Charles Aznavour playing pétanque with Brigitte Bardot in the middle of the Champs Élysées (to a soundtrack by Jacques Brel). So here we are, with my finished offering.

It could only be one kit manufacturer, really: the venerable Heller (pron. “Ell-aire”!). This is their 1/72 Potez 540 kit, first issued in 1967, built almost entirely OOB (for if you seek aftermarket for this kit, you will find none!), with the addition of scratchbuilt seatbelts and navigation lights. This is the most recent “Musée” boxing, which comes with two new schemes to add to the ’67 original: I chose this rather handsome (in as much as the 540 could be handsome) government-registered plane that was used to ferry General Charles de Gaulle around French possessions in Africa in 1941. I’ll stick my neck out a bit and opine that you can’t get much more French than that!

For an old kit it built up really nicely. I did some modest panel line scribing, and the main assembly goes together beautifully; the side walls of the fuselage only took on their elegant tapering curves when glued around the ceiling and floor panels, and then, as if by magic, the nose panel and canopy fit perfectly. It’s quite clever. All that stuff under the wings was very fiddly of course! I didn't go searching too hard for information about the accuracy of the model; the most obvious issue is the ribbing of the fabric wings, which is exaggerated: the ribs are too many in number and too deep. I briefly considered having a go at sorting them, but quickly decided that it would take a modeller with more skill and patience than me to get it right. Painting was by brush with Humbrol enamels. I struggled with the turrets and canopies a bit, I used Montex masks for the main canopies and Tamiya tape for the turrets and had problems with sections of framing coming away with the masks, but I persevered with a bit of cocktail stick touching-up. The main exterior colour is no. 71, which was a pig to work with but I got there. Just a light enamel wash on top, et Robert est le frère de ta mère.

Build thread here if you're interested:

Thanks for looking!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 43

Magnifique! I used to have this kit, but got rid of it a long time ago and realized it was 'way beyond my skills as a modeler at the time, so I think I traded it for a Caudron C.714 and an Ms225...not much easier, as it turned out! Very nice model that does not look its age- you should be proud of this one! (Wonder if the arrogant DeGaulle had to hunch  down to get in and out of the cabin; if he turned his head sideways, I don't think he would have been able to get through the entry door with that proboscis! :giggle:

Mike

Seriously, that's a great build, Tony! Heller certainly did give us some very esoteric types  and not too shabby kits, considering when they were released, for which we should all be grateful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@72modelerThanks for your very kind words Mike, it was one of those that I didn't think would be up to much but it looks decent on the shelf. It was a bit tricky in places, Shake'n'bake Tamiya Zero next... 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

looks like you're getting the hang of this French bomber thing :D

Amiot 143 ✔️ 

Potez 540 ✔️ 

Just the Bloch 210 to complete the “blocky French bombers by Heller” trilogy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, noelh said:

You did a great job on that. My goodness didn't the French design  some quirky bombers pre war.

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is great, mate. I was tempted to say gorgeous but ……. Well, you know ;)

12 hours ago, kapam said:

A wonderful build - definitely a subject not often seen around here.

I don't see much evidence of the kit's age, which suggests you've got skills in abundance.

7 hours ago, BerndM said:

Fantastic result and a true classical kit.

I had this often in my hands back in the days at my local hobby shop but it never went with me.

7 hours ago, Wulfman said:

An excellent build on the old Heller, wonderful work !

5 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nicely done, bags of character. great job

So many kind words, I'm humbled, really... this was one where I thought well I'll get it done but it'll never make the cabinet (when i get around to getting one), but the more I look at it, the more I like it, and it holds its own against my other efforts.

• Like 4