Tim's Revell Super Tomcat - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nice, stalemates for some reason think this was a new tool but the parts layout are identical to my supposedly previous tool boxing.  

I've just compared instructions for this build (dates 2016), with those from my 2012 (dated 2008) build.

Unsurprisingly, they're exactly the same kit.

I've just edited some changes onto the Scalemates entries to link them properly.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2021 at 7:50 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've just compared instructions for this build (dates 2016), with those from my 2012 (dated 2008) build.

Unsurprisingly, they're exactly the same kit.

I've just edited some changes onto the Scalemates entries to link them properly.

Thanks, I would have done it had I not been on mobile, I've also update the entry for the other boxing as looked at the instructions (and ordered one myself) as it comes with a different sprue for the A parts 

• Thanks 1

My kit is embossed 1999.  According to Scalemates, the first year Revell issued an F-14D Super Tomcat.

Some progress on the cockpit.  

10-cockpit.jpg

Breaking news:

I've just revisited my 2012 GB thread, where I made this comment about painting white.

The smallest drop of blue paint possible mixed into a fresh tin of Humbrol22 enamel.

Reckoned to stop yellowing - I'll let you know in 5 years time.

Well, very nearly 10 years later, I have to report this does not work - and here's the evidence.

F14-Disproved.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/28/2021 at 6:09 PM, Col. said:

How good is everything fitting together so far Tim?

I can tell that the tool has worn a bit since my 2012 build, evidenced by flash on edges of parts.

I'd like to say that the fit is good, which it is mostly - but let down by that separated forward fuselage, requiring some serious pressure to fit properly.

• Thanks 1

I'll be following this one as I have this kit in my stash. My initial impressions were that it looked reasonably nice, but not quite up to the standards of the more modern tooling (or even some contemporary Revell tooling). I did some test fitting of my sample and I thought that there might be some fun joining the nose section to the fuselage but it looks like you were able to do that without any problems.

Great work so far, and I'm anxious to see how this ends up. The Ghostriders scheme is one you don't see too often, and being that it's almost Halloween, the Grim Reaper on the tail will be appropriate!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Morning in the airbrush shed.  So glad I waited out yesterday's naff weather.

Humbrol 127 over the underside.

25-H127.jpg

Demasked.  Yesterday I brushed the black nose and tail detail.

26-Demasked.jpg

Giving this effect at the nose.  127 underside, 128 sides,  145 rear fuselage, and black anti-dazzle areas.

27-nose.jpg

• Like 5

Day for decals.  Joining VF-101 Grim Reapers.

Ghost-Rider.jpg

Interestingly, there is a comment on the instructions that the upper wing insignia is applied upside down. Annotated onto the stbd wing!

I found a photo on Airliners.net, confirming the upside down - on the port wing.

35-decals-S.jpg

And underside.

35-decals-U.jpg

• Like 4

Completion of decals and detail painting.  And a selection of parts for the next stage.

A white metal set that I found in my Fujimi kit - but didn't use.  Undercarriage is of interest here.  Seats to use in a future built.

Those painted wheels from this kit, and will be used.  The metal wheels will finish up as nose ballast somewhere.

A TARPS pod from the Fujimi kit, and I've read that all F-14Ds are compatible - so fitting that.

Which restricts the payload to empty Phoenix pallets, and dummy/live Sparrows. 

However if the Sparrows are used it creates a CofG problem.

Those Sparrows are  from a previous project. I don't want to repaint them as dummies.

40-parts-P.jpg

40-parts-S.jpg

• Like 6