DH-82a Tiger Moth - Planes that I have flown

As some of you may know I am a pilot member of a (very) small flying museum in Canada the Edenvale Classic Aircraft Foundation.  We have three flying aircraft, a 1947 Fleet 80 Canuck, a 1943 DH82a Tiger Moth (RAF NM201) and a Fleet PT-26 Cornell II.   Recently I decided to try and replicate these three in 1/48 scale.  For the Cornell and Tiger Moth, kits a re available, Planet Models (scarce) and the new Airfix fit the bill.  So far I have not found a Fleet Canuck in any scale except for a paper model, which coincindentally is in our aircraft's markings. So I have built a Minicraft PA-18 Super Cub in the colours of our Canuck.  I will post all three over the next day or two.

This is my attempt of our Tiger Moth.  The 1-48 Arfix kit is very good and firly accurate in details when compared to our original.  There were no issues in construction.  The paints are Tamiya acrylics with the yellow being a custom mix.  The decals are from the kit but the serials were printed at home, not quite the right font but close enough for me.  I have not rigged it yet except for one elevator cable on the left side using elastic thread.  I will do more over the winter but the model has to go on display for a few weeks now.

Cheers!

First a couple of pictures of our beloved NM201

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now my attempt.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Hi Bill. Nice to see you have done a Tiger Moth. RE the Fleet, is the Canuck the biplane?? If so, AZUR/Frrom do one in 1/72nd.  I have got one in my Canadian builds.

It turns out brilliant. And I agree the Airfix kit is fantastic. Meanwhile built two of them as you can see in one of my topics. 
Perfect job Bill ! 
And now we start the ICM one in 1/32 ……one day…..

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 1

Gorgeous Bill,...... lovely modelling and I love the theme,...... had a spin in a Tiggie myself but only went through a few basic movements,...... nothing like yourself,

All the best bud,

Tony

On 9/14/2021 at 10:26 AM, Paul J said:

Hi Bill. Nice to see you have done a Tiger Moth. RE the Fleet, is the Canuck the biplane?? If so, AZUR/Frrom do one in 1/72nd.  I have got one in my Canadian builds.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, Graham Boak said:

I've got one too - but it's the Finch.  (I also have the IAR-built one.)  The Canuck was the popular term for the Canadian-built Curtiss JN (Jenny) of WW1 vintage, although I think the term has been used since more than once, including the CF-100.

Hi,  the "Canuck" we have is a Fleet 80.  A side by side basic trainer, light aircraft designed at the end of WW2 to capture the hearts and wallets of all of those returning pilots.  Unfortunately like so many other civilian designs, the market never appeared and most of the demand was filled by bargain priced surplus military aircraft. The Fleet 80 was built in Fort Erie Ontario, Canada and 225 were built.  There are still over 60 flying in Canada today and it is a very pleasant aircraft to fly.

We use this aircraft for pleasure flying for our pilot members plus keeping currency and also for training non-tailwheel experienced pilots on the intricacy of the "taildragger".  - Yes Graham, there has been at least three aircraft named "Canuck"; the Curtiss JN-4, the Fleet 80 and the Avro CF-100..   There may be more, but I don't know of them.

Our Canuck is in the foreground.   In the hangar behind is a 1947 Auster AOP VI that was donated to us.  This picture was taken on the day I flew another pilot down to ferry the Auster back to our museum.  

spacer.png

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Thanks 1