Fairchild / Fleet PT-26 Cornell II - Planes that I have flown

As some of you may know I am a pilot member of a (very) small flying museum in Canada the Edenvale Classic Aircraft Foundation.  We have three flying aircraft, a 1947 Fleet 80 Canuck, a 1943 DH82a Tiger Moth (RAF NM201) and a Fleet PT-26 Cornell II (RCAF FV720).   Recently I decided to try and replicate these three in 1/48 scale.  For the Cornell and Tiger Moth, kits aRE available, Planet Models (scarce) and the new Airfix fit the bill.  So far I have not found a Fleet Canuck in any scale except for a paper model, which coincindentally is in our aircraft's markings. So I have built a Minicraft PA-18 Super Cub in the colours of our Canuck.  I will post all three over the next day or two.

This is my attempt of our Cornell.  The Planet Models resin kit is pretty good but required a mostly scratch built interior as only the seats and instrument panels were of use.  The wing to fuselage joint need extra work and some modifications to the engine cowling.  See the link below for the WIP.

The model was painted in a custom yellow mix of Tamiya Yellow and Orange acrylic.  The roundels came from various leftovers and the serials were printed on my laser printer at home.  

I am pleased with the result, however, there's something about the canopy that is not right.  I think it is too tall but I'm not changing it.

Cheers!

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 20

That's a very nice build of a pretty aeroplane. Somewhat reminiscent of a chipmunk. Though much earlier. 

What is it like to fly? The real thing I mean😄. It looks like it's fairly viceless. 

I've gathered a  few models of aircraft I've flown. But they're rather prosaic compared to your collection.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the fleet. Or the 'Fleet'.

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Bill,...... I do like the Cornell and I do have a Planet Models kit,........ torn between a SEAC one,...... a Rhodesian one or a Canadian one,...... I know what you would say though LOL

Was the interior really so bad,...... oh dear? 

Cheers

Tony 

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, noelh said:

That's a very nice build of a pretty aeroplane. Somewhat reminiscent of a chipmunk. Though much earlier. 

What is it like to fly? The real thing I mean😄. It looks like it's fairly viceless. 

I've gathered a  few models of aircraft I've flown. But they're rather prosaic compared to your collection.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the fleet. Or the 'Fleet'.

Thanks!  It is a VERY nice airplane to fly.  It has excellent control balance, is stable and has few vices.   All who fly her admit another 100hp would help as it has 200hp and the rate of climb is not fantastic especially on hot days.  That said it is yellow, has roundels and is a WW2 veteran and that's pretty cool! The grin should say it all!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 4:17 PM, tonyot said:

Nice one Bill,...... I do like the Cornell and I do have a Planet Models kit,........ torn between a SEAC one,...... a Rhodesian one or a Canadian one,...... I know what you would say though LOL

Was the interior really so bad,...... oh dear? 

Cheers

Tony 

Hi Tony, - the interior is pretty basic, floor seats, instrument panels and sticks.  There are no secondary controls on the side walls.  I simply had to try my best to replicate the interior because the aircraft is so special to me personally.  I have all the access I want to take pictures and so I did my first serious scratch building attempt in 1/48.  You can see most of that in the WIP thread (link at the top of this page).  

Cheers!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Bunting said:

Hi Tony, - the interior is pretty basic, floor seats, instrument panels and sticks.  There are no secondary controls on the side walls.  I simply had to try my best to replicate the interior because the aircraft is so special to me personally.  I have all the access I want to take pictures and so I did my first serious scratch building attempt in 1/48.  You can see most of that in the WIP thread (link at the top of this page).  

Cheers!!

Cheers Bill,.... lucky lad. 

• Thanks 1