Airfix 1/72 Concorde - In hand (Let the fun begin)

Dean1700

Thanks Pin. I see what you mean and it's a shame they got it so wrong given the modern mold making technologies they have these days and would of had when they were tooling this kit. I think there is still a market for a retooled kit so I hope they revisit this one day.

Edited by dean700
  • Like 1

As I stated in the other post,I built one and I am happy with it.

She surely stands out in the collection.

If not for the sheer size of it,I would cetrainly do another.

Imperfections and errors are there,which is a pity but it looks the part,and its also in the eyes of the beholder if these are an issue or not. And if you wish to have a large scale Concorde,this is the one to get.

There is the 1/48 HPH kit,but as I have read,its a real dog of a kit and lots of details are missing and need to be scratch build.

And for its retail price,this is an absolute no go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

It is unclear to me from the photos exactly what is wrong with the fuselage underside.

The bottom of the fuselage sits lower under the wings than it should. It should be shallower and the way the rear of the wings blend into the fuselage is wrong as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just received this kit this morning and I can't believe its size. I knew it was big but didn't realise just how BIG!

I like to think I know the pros and cons of this kit and it was definitely a lost opportunity for Airfix to do something special with this, being such an iconic British aircraft and could have been so much better. Oh well. It is what it is. Regardless, I will enjoy it all the same.

• Like 7

I'm thinking of filling in the windows and using decals for the windows instead. Has anyone does this and what is the best way to fill them in? Back with styrene then fill with putty or another method?

Better get some resin wheels as well.

• Like 3

• Dean1700 changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Concorde - In hand (Let the fun begin)

Dear Dean

Glue a strip of white plastic card on the fuselage inside, then fill the window openings from the outside with white filler. Drawdecal make a window set for this kit. From experience, only use white filler on this kit, amything else needs a lot of white primer to cover the filler. Aiwaves I think make resin wheels.

regards Toby

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Dean

Glue a strip of white plastic card on the fuselage inside, then fill the window openings from the outside with white filler. Drawdecal make a window set for this kit. From experience, only use white filler on this kit, amything else needs a lot of white primer to cover the filler. Aiwaves I think make resin wheels.

regards Toby

I'll more than likely got for the Armory (full) wheel set as the Airwaves set is just the tyres and you use the kit's wheel pieces but those Drawdecal decals look great.

Edited by dean700

11 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Dean

Glue a strip of white plastic card on the fuselage inside, then fill the window openings from the outside with white filler. Drawdecal make a window set for this kit. From experience, only use white filler on this kit, anything else needs a lot of white primer to cover the filler. Airwaves I think make resin wheels.

regards Toby

Another way is to lay tape along the window line on the outside and pour superglue into the window cavities (carefully mind you to avoid bubbles). Leave to set for 24 hours or so and remove the tape. No need for sanding this way.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 3:28 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

If people want to moan about "accuracy"  or otherwise, fair enough. That's their prerogative. I prefer to to work on the TLAR (That Looks About Right) principles of modelling! It certainly looks about right when built!

I LIKE that approach to model building!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2021 at 11:32, Beermonster1958 said:

In addition to not doing boring grey jets, I don't do boring white jets either!!, 😉😂. Enjoy your build.

Does that mean that we can expect/hope to see wraparound camouflage then?

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, Dean1700 said:

I'm thinking of filling in the windows and using decals for the windows instead. Has anyone does this and what is the best way to fill them in? Back with styrene then fill with putty or another method?

Better get some resin wheels as well.

You may already have seen this, but I built this kit about 4 years ago. It's a challenge but looks stunning when finished. Here's my build thread. 

• Like 1

I got this for Christmas and as long as it looks about right, that will do for me. She will be wheels up and in the BOAC prototype colours - once I get around to it🥴

On 9/23/2021 at 10:47 PM, Dean1700 said:

I'll more than likely got for the Armory (full) wheel set as the Airwaves set is just the tyres and you use the kit's wheel pieces but those Drawdecal decals look great.

...but which set? Armory make two sets of Concorde wheels - 'early' and 'late', but when were these changed?   Not sure which period is 'early' and which is 'late'?

1 hour ago, AMB said:

...but which set? Armory make two sets of Concorde wheels - 'early' and 'late', but when were these changed?   Not sure which period is 'early' and which is 'late'?

I ended up getting the Late style wheels but I'm thinking of doing the kit "in flight".

On 10/8/2021 at 7:58 AM, Abandoned Project said:

Does that mean that we can expect/hope to see wraparound camouflage then?

There was a proposal to modify the Concorde for use as an RAF bomber, always fancied making one like this but I have yet to cross paths with a 1/72 Concorde kit at a reasonable price.  

concorde-bomber.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

There was a proposal to modify the Concorde for use as an RAF bomber, always fancied making one like this but I have yet to cross paths with a 1/72 Concorde kit at a reasonable price.  

concorde-bomber.jpg

Sweet! Oh yeah! Ooh wouldn't that be nice with a couple of Skybolts on the wings and a Blue Steel recessed in the belly. :hmmm:

16 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

Just read that Heller are planning to re-release their 1/72 Concorde kit sometime soon(ish), so it should hopefully be easier to get a hold of one of these big birds.

I pointed this out back in February last year:

It's been saying COMING SOON ever since...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 2:23 AM, Mig Eater said:

Just read that Heller are planning to re-release their 1/72 Concorde kit sometime soon(ish), so it should hopefully be easier to get a hold of one of these big birds.

Consider yourself warned :)

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010730-concorde-172-heller-no-airfix-no-revell/

Edited by Dean1700