Fruitbat's gone

DennisTheBear

In the hope of having an exiting scratchbuild if I have to be in lockdown again I went searching the pages of BM for the discussion on the (perhaps fortunately) umatched Farely Fruitbat.

To my dismay it appears that that riveting discussion across many pages full of facinating and fulsom information has been consigned to the theatre of memory.

I stand bereft. Sigh!

DennisTheBear

I seem to remember that the toilet (no Elsan in this British aeronautical marvel) was finished in tasteful fashion but can't rember if it was lime green grushed velvet or a delicate pink died shag pile.

DennisTheBear

• Haha 1

I recall there being a discussion regarding the fabric used in the Navigator's Study Area and Smoking Lounge, specifically the large, overstuffed wingback chairs. Red velvet, I believe the consensus was.

More pertinently, it is my belief these chairs are the primary reason no Fruitbats exist to this day - they were so comfortable that the Navigators would fall asleep, and no-one had the heart to wake them up. Pilots would simply drone on at 53mph cruising speed (unladen swifts deployed), until their fuel ran out.  This lead to many Fruitbats simply disappearing over the North Sea.

This in turn was the origin of the legendary 'Clacton Triangle'.  

• Haha 1