Saudi Hawks / Saudi Falcons Display Team BAe Hawk 1/72

The Saudi Hawks are a display team that I've been fascinated with for the longest time. With their vibrant green aircraft decorated with swooping white curves, and trained by former RAF Red Arrow Pilots,

I was lucky enough to see them in 2017 (the video below has some of that and links to the footage I had from then). When I saw them it was at Malta's International Airshow 2017 (their 25th in their series of airshows). The show was performed at 'Smart City' which is a business centre on the coast outside of the main cities. Performed entirely over the water against the beautiful blues of the sky and the sea their Green aircraft looked perfectly at home. The air show was on the first holiday I'd had with my parents 'as myself' and so has always held a particularly special place in my heart (for every team involved). 

I had previously obtained a kit on the subject by Fujimi, who made a 1/72 BAe Hawk with Saudi Hawk (now Saudi Falcon) markings. However, many of you know that I unfortunately had to leave my home in rather a hurry due to having a less than lovely housemate. I lost most of my models, equipment, and supplies. I promised myself I wouldn't be upset, but every now and again I find myself sad that someone forced me to lose so much. So, when the trusted DEKL'S showed they had Saudi Hawk decals....well, I instantly ordered them. I could finally build a display team that meant so much to me. 

I used the BAE Hawk NHS kit as the basis; I really enjoyed the construction. It was far simpler, and I assume this is the same 'simpler' version from the Best of British? Either way, it seems perfect for newcomers, or those who want a quick and easy build. On that subject, I still managed to mess it up slightly with the cockpit section as my cockpit no longer is flush to the fuselage. For the sake of me being sort of lazy, I have accepted that this is the way my model was destined to be and left it as is, as in it's current state it still brings me joy on my shelf.  

As usual DEKL's provide a singular sheet filled with all the pieces for you to cut out. They are not pre-cut like most kit decals would be, so you do need to trim them down a lot once on the model. the plus side is lots of pieces to help fix mistakes They are a lot more malleable than normal style decals in my opinion. Much resilient to the mistakes of an average model maker like myself. You have 2 sets of decals (standard with Dekl's) to allow you to layer the duplicates to get vibrancy. On coloured sections this really makes colours pop. For white sections it creates a rich solid white - something that can be harder to achieve for stick acrylic painters. I genuinely found myself enjoying these decals...compared to certain other manufacturers who will remain nameless. which cause rage and upset. 

l

For a full review visit my review: here

For a build video see the video below:

sJxNNWT.png

E5BRwZR.png

vcvSBeE.png

T5cW6rA.png

• Like 16

Nice. I have the Fujimi kit. I do wonder how the decals will go on when I get round to making it. I'll check out the DEKL's one's. I saw the Saudi Hawks at the Yeovilton Air Day some years ago. 

Very colourful and cool team to watch.

The Revell Emerald Green looks spot on :coolio:

On 13/09/2021 at 22:05, Smudge said:

Nice. I have the Fujimi kit. I do wonder how the decals will go on when I get round to making it. I'll check out the DEKL's one's. I saw the Saudi Hawks at the Yeovilton Air Day some years ago. 

Very colourful and cool team to watch.

The Revell Emerald Green looks spot on :coolio:

Thank you! I'm sad I'll never see the Fujimi kit - but maybe I'll find it at a show one day! 

Thanks! I was really nervous about choosing a colour I hadn't seen about online at all, so I'm glad that it turned out, imo, the perfect colour! 

On 13/09/2021 at 22:26, exdraken said:

Turned out great!

Saw them at  Zeltweg/Austria several times, always a fantastic and a bit unexpected show!

:thumbsup:

I think their shows are great! I love how much of Saudi symbolism they manage to include! It's inspiring honestly.

Few Fujimi Hawks on eBay ATM...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255130909325?hash=item3b66fcba8d:g:PncAAOSw-GdhMgoR

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185046524193?hash=item2b15a1e121:g:FBkAAOSwFqVhK4KH

You never know what you'll find till you have a look.  I an surprised at how much of the  1/72 scale ESCI, Italeri and Fujimi from back in the 1980's turns up on eBay.

Edited by matti64
additional text

On 15/09/2021 at 11:32, matti64 said:

Few Fujimi Hawks on eBay ATM...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255130909325?hash=item3b66fcba8d:g:PncAAOSw-GdhMgoR

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185046524193?hash=item2b15a1e121:g:FBkAAOSwFqVhK4KH

You never know what you'll find till you have a look.  I an surprised at how much of the  1/72 scale ESCI, Italeri and Fujimi from back in the 1980's turns up on eBay.

Yeah the Finnish and Red Arrows ones are always quite available...but sadly the Saudi variant has become a diamond in the rough! Thank you though! 

21 hours ago, MsModeller said:

Yeah the Finnish and Red Arrows ones are always quite available...but sadly the Saudi variant has become a diamond in the rough! Thank you though! 

Ah sorry, I missunderstood, I thought that what you'd wanted was  any issue of the kit  to use with your after market decals. I hadn't  realised there was an actual Saudi  release.