1/48 VF-1 ‘Wolfpack’ F-14A

Dansk

Oh my, is this GB here already?

I need to pull my socks up on the other projects I have in progress.

This is a holding page until I get time to work on this.

I intend to build a USS Enterprise ‘Wolfpack’ airframe from 1978 with the cartograf printed decals from DXM.

(The top one wearing red bands)

spacer.png

From the amazing 1/48 Tamiya Kit.

51468384044_e8a8939597_h.jpg

There’s helmet decals so I might go for a pilot and his RIO this time.

Excuse the tape on the lid, its to keep the box closed housing the leftovers from my previous f-14 build

together with an array of lovely AM.

51467652451_466773def2_h.jpg

The Wheels are not strictly a million percent correct though 🤫

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

Now that my Phantom build is approaching a conclusion, I can now concentrate on this build.

With this late start date and my slow build pace it definitely probably wont make the gallery. 
However let’s give it a go.

Mmmmm fresh uncut plastic all nice and organised. It’s always nice to start a new kit 🥰

51681428502_2a60d8fa28_h.jpg

And fresh untouched aires seats, aren’t they pretty?

51683113145_057c85e757_h.jpg

First things first: lets prep for Quinta’s IP decals.

51682226046_6d1fa0a903_h.jpg

• Like 10

can someone help me out here? 
This doesn’t look right to me?

51688326857_035348a0a4_h.jpg

see the RIO’s port IP side panel, the foreward section the looks like a box (tamiya K16)

it looks different to the quinta part shape (quinta 20)

@trickyrich your’s looked different?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

can someone help me out here? 
This doesn’t look right to me?

51688326857_035348a0a4_h.jpg

see the RIO’s port IP side panel, the foreward section the looks like a box (tamiya K16)

it looks different to the quinta part shape (quinta 20)

@trickyrich your’s looked different?

Take a look at the two pictures again and tell me you can see what's wrong. It has nothing to do with the kit or the 3D decals, that much I can reveal. ;)

Jens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jens said:

Take a look at the two pictures again and tell me you can see what's wrong. It has nothing to do with the kit or the 3D decals, that much I can reveal. ;)

Jens

hahaha now I see it jens! tak

goddamn. I spent so long looking at this earlier and now its blindingly obvious!

back to front 🤪 idiot me

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I wasn't going to bring it up........ 

7 hours ago, Jens said:

Jens

.........yes we know where the "real" issue is!!! :rofl2:  Paul probably would have worked it out eventually! :D

Good to see you've fallen down the Quinta Studio hole like the rest of us..... bet it'll now be the first AM bit you look for for each build!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I wasn't going to bring it up........ 

.........yes we know where the "real" issue is!!! :rofl2:  Paul probably would have worked it out eventually! :D

Good to see you've fallen down the Quinta Studio hole like the rest of us..... bet it'll now be the first AM bit you look for for each build!

yep, there seems to be one problem area with all my builds: the guy building the stuff is a moron. 

Quinta is ace but makes me lazy :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

evening all.

all the cockpit parts have been primed black, and I’ve been playing the fun game, ‘match the grey of the Quinta set’

51696000731_746c649051_h.jpg

not sure how close it is now painted, it’s hard to tell until you mount them. 

51696000696_1f3e00ac22_h.jpg

I’ve also been attempting to add some texture by using electrical tape to replicate the shrouds

51696000596_46209e0a73_h.jpg

51696679964_24448212cb_h.jpg

My new favourite stuff:

51696279063_e66f087eda_h.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

I've never used Quinta before (I have a set for the new ICM Cobra)...do you need to use the CA to stick it down?

no, you get them wet like a decal, slide them off onto the kit part where the kit part covered in white pva glue recieves them and secures them once dry.

the Black ca has rubber in it, its so nice to use for photoetch, less fragile and i used it to help the electrical tape bond more firmly here too. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dansk said:

no, you get them wet like a decal, slide them off onto the kit part where the kit part covered in white pva glue recieves them and secures them once dry.

the Black ca has rubber in it, its so nice to use for photoetch, less fragile and i used it to help the electrical tape bond more firmly here too. 

I need to find a good CA glue. Maybe this could be the one! I've  Just been using selleys from supermarket. It's a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it's a disaster. I know it can depend on humidity and other things but can someone just invent a glue that holds and sets within seconds consistently! 

Sorry. End rant! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

I need to find a good CA glue. Maybe this could be the one! I've  Just been using selleys from supermarket. It's a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it's a disaster. I know it can depend on humidity and other things but can someone just invent a glue that holds and sets within seconds consistently! 

Sorry. End rant! 

its very good and you can see where you put it too as opposed to clear ones.

I use kicker to set ca near-instantly though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jabba said:

One of the biggest problems with pre painted extras is trying to match up their paint colours wit what you have. Have you put any of the cockpit stuff on yet?

Would you agree that another matching issue is with the fineness of the details? As an extremely example, would a Quinta cockpit look out of place in an Airfix Quick Build (Lego) kit?

Quinta quality seems to call for (new)Tamiya type kits like this one. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:28 PM, Dansk said:

evening all.

all the cockpit parts have been primed black, and I’ve been playing the fun game, ‘match the grey of the Quinta set’

51696000731_746c649051_h.jpg

not sure how close it is now painted, it’s hard to tell until you mount them. 

51696000696_1f3e00ac22_h.jpg

I’ve also been attempting to add some texture by using electrical tape to replicate the shrouds

51696000596_46209e0a73_h.jpg

51696679964_24448212cb_h.jpg

My new favourite stuff:

51696279063_e66f087eda_h.jpg

Ive heard a lot of good things about this stuff from Uncle Nightshift too. Didn’t know it was rubberised though. I’ll add it to my Xmas resupply list.