Italeri 840 F-16C

tempestfan

For whatever reason, I had a somewhat closer look at this kit yesterday and noticed that the tailplanes are very slightly differential, with the port one a bit proud of the rear airbrake on top and the Starboard one very slightly below. I'm no F-16 expert - does it feature tailerons (or otherwise tailplanes/horizontal stabilizers for overseas users not interconnected), or is it a moulding glitch? Just curious.

Italeri F-16 tailplanes are glitched, they sit more forward when they should sit a tad more backwards.

F-16 tailplanes do not have a connecting rod, the can move in a symmetric manner but due trims and weight differences between port side and starboard side they will slightly move in an asymmetric manner, remember perfect balance does not exist and if it will a mere strand of hair will throw off your balance in a blink.

As for differences between tailplanes you have early ones who sit flush with airbrake mostly YF-16, F-16 FSD, early block 5/10, later ones updraded F-16A Block 10 are externally identical to F-16C tailplanes.

For export variants using small tailplanes it was just a thing in the early/mid 80s, I think some Denmark F-16B still uses them while all the others switched to later ones

Luigi

• Like 2