Legendary Blackbird - Part 3: AG-330 Starter Cart... (3D Printing)

Serkan Sen

Hi everyone,

As some of you already know I have currently three ongoing Oxcart projects reported regularly in this forum and some other Blackbird  projects that are ongoing in the background. But I realised that I don't have any starter cart for none of them.

AG330_start_cart.JPG

(Hill Aerospace Museum - Jaydec at English Wikipedia)

I decided to open a new topic to share the 3D modelling and printing of AG-330 starter cart in both 1:72 and 1:48 scales. I think it won't take long time to model a fairly good cart as the surfaces are very flat compared to Oxcart model.

To create a draft shape I have started to draw three view sketches from the pictures available in web:

2398.jpg

First planform view was extruded to create the rough cart shape:

2399.jpg

After then the wheelhouses at the front and rear ends were opened:

2400.jpg

The upper surface sharp edges were rounded by applying edge fillet:

2401.jpg

The next step is to start modelling the chassis and the wheels.

Here you can find the ongoing 3D Oxcart modelling WIP:

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

The wheels have been modelled as detailed as possible using the reference images:

2404.jpg

2405.jpg

The tyre and wheel profiles may not be in the actual form but I can simply update them when I get better reference materials.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, vags said:

There is a great kit in 1/48th for the AG-330 from Hypersonic Models. I have built it and posted it here:

Your build is awesome. It looks like a real cart with a great weathering.

Yes I am aware of the Hypersonic Models 1:48 model which is a highly detailed wonderful kit but also very pricey. Also my current Oxcart and future Blackbird builds are mostly in 1:72 scale. Therefore I decided to model and print my own starter carts to use in all these projects.

Serkan

• Like 1

The wheels have been updated by adding the grooves and the air ventil:

2408.jpg

2409.jpg

I don't think that all this tiny details will be printed as desired but the wheel now looks very eye catching...

I have seen that there are some new generation 3D resin printers with higher resolution screen and therefore better printing results (0.035mm instead 0.050mm) but I will wait until they will be a bit cheaper. Besides I have two Elegoo printers (Mars  in use, Mars Pro unboxed) in the inventory.

Serkan

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 9:42 PM, Serkan Sen said:

Your build is awesome. It looks like a real cart with a great weathering.

Yes I am aware of the Hypersonic Models 1:48 model which is a highly detailed wonderful kit but also very pricey. Also my current Oxcart and future Blackbird builds are mostly in 1:72 scale. Therefore I decided to model and print my own starter carts to use in all these projects.

Serkan

Thank you very much. Your work is also awesome to say the least. Please keep it up.

• Thanks 1