1/48 F-14D Tomcatters Last Cruise 2006

FortyEighter

8 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Maybe put about a third of the yellow into another bottle and add a minute amount of lighter/ darker shades until you match the decal. Even a shade just slightly off could pass muster, esp taking weathering into account.

So far, that paint job is looking good!

I did wonder about mixing but there isn't much left in the yellow bottle.  Perhaps a trip to my local nearest model shop??

• Haha 1

I've just followed @Thom216 suggestion and sacrificed what was left of my bottle of Tamiya Lemon Yellow by adding a few drops of red and spraying the fin tops. It doesn't look to be too bad a match to the decals in post #1 but will have another look in decent light tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Progress was slow in early November as I had a Phantom to finish but over the last fortnight it's got to this stage:

20211211_092840

The decals applied so far are all from the Crossdelta aircraft specific sheet - printed by Cartograph so no problems encountered.  However the No Push decals for the horiz stabs have a fatal flaw - they are printed in the same shade of grey as the top surface!  I might also use some of the numerous stencils from the kit decals but as most of them are not obvious in photos I'll be selective.

I tried one the kit decals (218) for the grey section over the exhaust but it went on with lots of creases which I couldn't smooth out with pressure and I'm not sure they would have conformed with multiple applications of micro-sol/set - so that area will be masked and sprayed instead.

This particular airframe looks fairly clean in most photos so weathering will be kept to a minimum.

Mike

• Like 8

looking great Mike, can't wait to see her completed.

O have used those Tamiya decals and they will conform quite nicely, you just need to use decal softening solution. The decals are quite robust and will handle it if you go gently. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

looking great Mike, can't wait to see her completed.

O have used those Tamiya decals and they will conform quite nicely, you just need to use decal softening solution. The decals are quite robust and will handle it if you go gently. 

Thanks Rich,

Having experienced some issues with airliner cheatlines that extend a round the nose (which I have great trouble getting totally flat even with lots of setting solution).  Looking at the number of creases on the first exhaust cover decal when applied I just thought it would never go flat so....

.... I've sprayed the areas this afternoon before reading your comment.

Mike

Hey Mike!

Very neat looking Supercat you‘re building there! Have you watched „Speed and Angels“? Or the „Tomcast“ podcast? That will give you enough punch to thrust through the final building stages of your model! — sidenote: I am going to build a garage for my house, on the big door I plan to paint a part of the full scale front silhouette of a Tomcat 😍 Looking forward to the Hornet group build, can‘t wait to start! 
Sam

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:07 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Looks great! How did you do the streaking effect where the wings sweep into the fuselage?

Thanks.

First I retracted wings and drew a pencil line around the wing gloves.  Then opened the wings and one at a time, brush painted Tamiya smoke as far as the pencil line and then removed some of it with a cotton bud (lightly dipped in IPA) held against the glove in various positions whilst opening / closing wing.  

Mike

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

Thanks.

First I retracted wings and drew a pencil line around the wing gloves.  Then opened the wings and one at a time, brush painted Tamiya smoke as far as the pencil line and then removed some of it with a cotton bud (lightly dipped in IPA) held against the glove in various positions whilst opening / closing wing.  

Mike

Was really effective, much better than the naff decals in my Academy kit. Will try that myself. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...