J 26 - Mustang in 1/48 and.. Possibly 1/32..

Hi,

my J34 will be done, but i got that urge to get a J 26 as well. I have not swung my airbrush in anger nor derped around with any weathering stuff for quite some time and felt I needed an easy kit to get back into the saddle.. So I will begin with the J 26.

I really like those Airfix boxing where I get the Swedish decals too. They have done alot of that over the years and I really apprecaite that.

However, I will use Moose Republic decals since the national insignias are a little off - and I want a special indiviaual.

51464103556_1ecadccdb3_h.jpgJ26MustangInstructionsPart3Page1_2MRD

(From Moose Republic Decals)

26031, the green and blue-grey one. A good practice subject for the (repainted in Swedish colours, the same ) J 34 afterwards. :)

I will not make the Swedish thing above the radio set for the dhingy (?) - I just want to make a simple build and get back into painting. An Airfix kits feels perfect for that!

I planned to keep it simple, after looking the parts over, I will probably not even use the Eduard steel seatbelts but paint the moulded parts. Saving those belts for the next one.(Probably an Eduard one!)

51463369137_ad20ed8483_k.jpgIMG_0133

I honestly do not think they look too bad in the box!

51464378608_513c4ee67e_k.jpgIMG_0134

Started by cutting some plastic and ordering the appropriate decals (getting them tomorrow, or even today?)

And that is where the 1/32 J 26 comes into play.. I have forgotten a Tamiya build I started.. Years ago.. I put alot of effort into the cockpit with extra decals and stuff from barracuda.

51463371042_bdfc5c2c72_k.jpgIMG_0135

But still a paint noob, sprayed a little too thick here and there which made the big assembly a bit messy.

51464138106_e02764131c_k.jpgIMG_0136

It made me put it away into a cupboard.. And I forgot about it, basically.. I see the big box now and then..

I have decals for "Daddy´s Girl" for it and originally I had "The Enchantress" but those were given to a friend that both builds and paints better so felt like a better home.. ;)

I think I will finish it off as J 26 instead. It might not be under this group build but it certainly made me want to do it some justice. If I can´t stand the defects alter, I´ll just give it to someone who doesn´t care (usually my siblings´ kids).

But the 1/4 J 26 will be done! Hopefully with less mistakes..

Also manage to pick up a book on the J26s, hopefully arriving this week.. Seems like a good read and written, by, iirc, an old J 26 pilot..

• Like 8

The big one is more than 25% built i guess.. But made a guest appaerence? ;) Sad I have not done it yet.. The picture makes the problems much more appaerent than they are "in real life". I think it can still be finished off decently however.

More Mustangs.... and a 1/32nd beast as well!!! :thumbsup:

Now you have the perfect excuse to finished her! As Bosse mentioned she's not eligible for the gallery but I/we would love to see her built as well.

A green an NMF Mustang would look great together.

20 hours ago, Marlin said:

I guess that as long as you don't post the 1/32nd one in the Gallery  it'll be ok to build it here. 

/Bosse

Yeah, I´m too slow to get it done within the time frame anyways.. ;)

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

More Mustangs.... and a 1/32nd beast as well!!! :thumbsup:

Now you have the perfect excuse to finished her! As Bosse mentioned she's not eligible for the gallery but I/we would love to see her built as well.

A green an NMF Mustang would look great together.

Yeah, I´ll finish her off.. :) i really liked the work I put into the cockpit.. But I guess the Airfix one will be the GB. :)

• Like 2

Right.. :)

Glued some stuff - but I have been (impatiently!) waiting for some stuff - the J 26 book and I will pick up Brett Green´s book on the Tamiya 1/32 build,  again.. Had it, foolishly sold it. But remembered how good it was for cockpit reference etc. A bus ride later and i have it too.

I did a couple of mistakes, already! Cut too much of the tail weel, the pin for the hole.. Oops!  Can´t just blame Airfix, was too eager.. But I think I managed to make it strong enough. Then the seat was glued it and somehow was listing.. Hmm.. Had to break it off the armour plate and re-glue... Note to self, calm the fakk down..

And shockingly, I won´t fill those, what are they called again? The push out marks?? In the cockpit walls. They won´t be seen.. It bugs me too knowing they are there.. But this was supposed to be a quick (lol) build, fast forward tothe painting - fresh up the little skills I have so.. It won´t be visible - so i don´t care..😚

The j 26 book is really good! As are the decals..

51482242272_f7214a9040_k.jpgIMG_0140

Looking forward to get some paint slabbed on..

• Like 5

Thanks. :)

Glued the wings together, so I can paint the wheel bays - undercoat it, when i start on the cockpit. It´s getting closer to paint.. ^^

In the meantime, compared Airfix decals with MooseRepublic´s

51486769699_88cc550fd5_k.jpgIMG_0142

Airfix at the top. I´ll go with Robban´s/Moose Republic´s, a little better blue. More apparent in real life even.

So, the flaps, will be lowered. But the colour of the insides - I googled a bit and see mostly metallic, some painted olive drab as the rest of the subject.. No zonk chromate or even interior green? metallic it is?

• Like 1

to be honest I don't think I've ever noticed what colour the insides of the flaps of a Mustang are!

I guess you can't really be wrong which ever ay you go, I expect there was a bit of variation out there.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think so too. :) The subject is mentioned in the book (I´m reading it from front to back!) as being damaged. Shortly after delievery they were starting the engine at Bromma airfield (which I can see aircraft taking off from as we "speak!" ;) ) - but they were yet fully introduced to it and the engine went to full power or something - amking it tilt forward and the prop shattered (the engine was oaky though). That is why this particular airframe was delayed to F 16 Wing in Uppsala - and used for testpainting at Bromma, Stockholm (FFVS).

If I can´t find any more info, I´ll just resume that it was repainted with flaps up and I will make it aluminium. :) Probably looks better too.

Started painting, primed the cockpit and wheel house - but my brother is sleeping voer here just now, in my one room flat so can´t paint today.. ;)

He does that since he works night shifts in town and they are working on the rails where he lives, 30km off - so takes too long on the bus until next shift.. Luckily I live close to his work - but that means I can´t use the airbrush - had I gotten the interior green in last night, I could have brush painted right now.. :(

Got a little bit done.. Every little step eh? ;9

Took a spare Draken upper half and primed for some later tests.. I still have alot of that older Vallejo one.

51492774166_ef1e0962ca_k.jpgIMG_0149

And then I got a single layer of interior green (Gunze) and a mix for zink chromate (Tamiya mix) on.. And then I read about the colours there "should" be.. Which is a bit inconclusive but it should, officially not be that.. Or so I read.. But the green one.. or sometimes this.. or sometimes unpainted... Ah well.

51493699865_2f99118b05_k.jpgIMG_0151

A couple of more layres tomorrow and then some brush painting! :D

• Like 4

Thanks.

It was kinda that..It´s been resting for five years I think.. 😚 But i liked the job I did in the cockpit - some Barracuda Stuioos placards, HGW belts and life raft.. But the work on the wheel wells - and some fitting issues (totally my fault) made me a bit.. Unsatisfied..

I remembered the stand and figured I should get it done. I learned the lesson and will be more careful the next time. :) It is a bit of an easy road and a little failure - but if I paint it okay, I can forgive myself.. ;)

• Like 1

Been playing too much War Thunder. flying J 26, P-51B/C, -D, Thunderbolt I, P-47Ds, M etc.. :D

But I have done a little. Had to fill some gaps - dunno if it was me or the kit.. I don´t mind the kit, but it is a bit "chunky".. I want to do my Eduard soon - and maybe try Meng´s.. Might do an Airfix again, but probably not..

Don´t feel like a kit snob but.. I kinda like Tamiya´s (newer, not their P-51D), Eduard, hasegawa more.. Or I might change my mind when I´ve tried the others! ;)

51515407549_9250a89cde_k.jpgIMG_0168

51514917278_2d737517bf_k.jpgIMG_0169

51515622360_51752b1d52_k.jpgIMG_0170

51514693741_0fcaecc887_k.jpgIMG_0171

Bought some new brushes too, my old ones - are old..

• Like 6

Yeah true.. :)  Well, I think I have built a few Tamiyas that did not require it.. Thought about that when I bought my filler - Tamiya.. And that is the kits I use it the least on, lol..

I don´t mind Airfix, I like them - it is the stuff I grew up with! (Though i preferred Matchbox! :D ) . And they make nice subjects.. So it was no critique on them.. I think they are good for beginners - they might be put off, from Eduard? And they are/have become much better..

• Like 1

Masked and painted the canopy parts Interior Green - and glued on the flaps.. I had planned not to. But looking the model over, it is.. Warped somehow.. Looking from the front, the tail is slightly out of alignment.. Kinda weird.

So I decided to finish it off a little quicker (so no alclad on the inside of the flaps for example), give it tto dad once finished and make another one! :D

My dad has not built models since the 80s I think - but he gets happy everytime I give him one of mine (usually something I find a mistake on but he doesn´t care.. ;) )

51525638787_4ee3e0a68b_k.jpg

Undercoated it with Vallejo´s Surface Primer. usually I use Ultimate primer (Bagder?) since it cures much faster. But I still have a big bottle of Vallejo´s - and the model will have time to cure properly, I will have less time to paint this week so will leave it until next week...

Saw that there is a custom skin for (Blue/)"Blå Niklas" in War Thunder.. Not totally correct (walkways for one thing) - but I like the colours!

51527369515_54bb90cbdc_k.jpg51527369305_c07e484a92_k.jpg

51526452126_07ea153063_k.jpg

That 325M has a nice feeling too it.. And the grey ain´t bad either.

Yeah I definitely want to do another one..! Maybe try Eduards - or Meng.. or I wouldn´t mind another Airfix now.. .) Just be a little more careful and not rush it too much..

...and then I also feel like making a Dark Green and Ocean Grey RAF (Polish?) Mustang......

• Like 8