Doodlebug Downer! Hawker Tempest V, 486(NZ) Sqn, June 1944

Alan P

Hi all,

Hot off the bench, the superb Special Hobby Tempest V as boxed by Revell. A beautifully detailed, sharply cast beauty of a kit with virtually no vices. Loved building it.

tn_Tempest V (58)

Even though the kit is fine as it is (slight nose/spinner inaccuracies aside) I used some aftermarket items to improve it.

tn_Tempest V (63)

The Barracuda nose and propeller did improve the overall look of the nose, radiator and spinner. Worth the investment if such things bother you!

tn_Tempest V (64)

Also used CMK's Seated Pilot set, with a finely cast pilot, although the face expression is a bit odd 🤔

tn_Tempest V (69)

The wheels were also CMK, perhaps need a bit of a wash to bring them up 🤨

tn_Tempest V (66)

The serial number and codes came from generic sets by Xtradecal to represent a 486 Sqn V-1 hunter from June 1944. 486 together with 3 Sqn RAF claimed over 500 V-1s shot down in the summer of 1944.

tn_Tempest V (65)

The V-1 kill markings were home-printed on decal paper. I used Klear mixed with water as a setting agent for the decals, which worked perfectly. Thanks @stevehnz@bigbadbadge for this toppest of tips 👍

tn_Tempest V (68)

This is one of the nicest kits I've had the pleasure of building in ages. So much so, I bought two more, which is unusual for me (I don't keep multiples of kits in the stash, donations excepted!)

tn_Tempest V (59)

And here's the build thread if you're interested, the cockpit construction is worth a look:

Anyway, thanks for looking in on this, hope you had a pleasant weekend.

Alan

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

Great job, if I wasn't in the midst of 2 builds it would tempt me to build another Tempest myself, and the pilot figure as JasonC said shows the size of the real thing.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Thank you very much @spitfire and @Spitfire31 👍

19 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It's a Kiwi 1000 yard stare, we're famous for it. ;) :D

Steve.

This made me laugh out loud 😂

6 hours ago, Tallyho said:

A work of art that mate, lovely craftmanship, what an aircraft too!

What scale is it, 32nd?

Thanks very much, yes it's 1/32.

4 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Amazing work, so glad you'll be doing 2 more of these. Certainly lived up to your controversial (and hilarious) WIP title! 

Thanks Jeff, glad you liked that!

Thanks again everyone,

Alan

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Wonderful work Alan!  Absolutely wonderful.  This is the scheme I was planning on doing too.

You nailed it...wish it was mine Lol

Cheers Anthony

Thanks so much Anthony... I'd be happy to swap it for your Phantom...😎😂

• Like 1

Thanks once again 😃

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Superb build as usual.

Thanks Stephen, you're kind as usual 😉👍

14 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Turned out a stunner Alan.

Many thanks to you as well Steve for the inspiration...also I wouldn't have bought the kit if you hadn't mentioned it on your build thread!

• Like 1

Love it Alan! Exceptional build. love the invasiòn stripes and your home made decals are a very inventive touch!

I did this kit recently.. tribute build to my Uncle's  plane from 56 Squadron. He flew some sweeps with 486 Squadron in 1945 I seem to recall. 

This kit was lovely to make I agree. Would love you to do a 56 Squadron bird for one of those you've acquired in your Stash! 

Regrds, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Thanks 1

Totally awesome Tempest!

The angle on your fourth photo provides an especially evocative view (to me at least).

You've done a brilliant job on that pilot too (though he looks like he forgot to visit the bathroom before getting in the seat 😁)

:clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Love it Alan! Exceptional build. love the invasiòn stripes and your home made decals are a very inventive touch!

I did this kit recently.. tribute build to my Uncle's  plane from 56 Squadron. He flew some sweeps with 486 Squadron in 1945 I seem to recall. 

This kit was lovely to make I agree. Would love you to do a 56 Squadron bird for one of those you've acquired in your Stash! 

Regrds, Andy

Thanks Andy, I referenced your build in my build thread as one of the inspirations 👍 I haven't decided what the other Mk.V will be yet, but I'd like to do it as a late one. The other kit is a Mk.VI 😉

13 hours ago, kapam said:

Totally awesome Tempest!

The angle on your fourth photo provides an especially evocative view (to me at least).

You've done a brilliant job on that pilot too (though he looks like he forgot to visit the bathroom before getting in the seat 😁)

:clap2::clap2:

That really made me laugh! But @stevehnz tells me it's a 1000-yard stare rather than the 100-yard dash to the thunderbox :lol:

Thanks very much guys, and also @James G much appreciated :cheers:

Alan

• Haha 1

Just a quick extra pic on my WW2 shelf (never had one before this year!)

tn_Kurnass (35)

Opposite the jet shelves:

tn_Kurnass (36)

All 1/32, and I've never had so much fun with model building than now, so at least something good's happening!

Alan

• Like 3