1/72 SH-2F Seasprite (Airfix 1986)

Hello, today I'm sharing a little build of a classic kit: the graceful Airfix Seasprite, which I completed slightly over a year ago. I built it as a gift for a friend I had in college, who had served as a US Navy landing signalman. It is built out-of-the-box, even making use of the supplied pilot and crew figures. The surface detail and rivets are largely out of scale, but I think it's a charming reminder of the way kits used to be tooled: without the use of CAD software and so on. It was a rather straightforward build with little problems, and the clear parts still look good after rattling around in the box for the better part of 4 decades! The decals were difficult however, thick and with a noticeable "adhesive" on the backsides - I probably should have masked the tail rotor stripes instead of using the decals there. Just don't squint too hard at it. 😅 Also, as with all of my builds, it's entirely brush painted.

Thanks for looking!

spacer.png

D9nhf3k.jpg

XEbYzKk.jpg

0CkznlT.jpg

ShVVcis.jpg

deCBWiz.jpg

• Like 46

Age is not a barrier if you have skills 😉

Great to see any older kit finished with up to date techniques, you'd never know this was such a vintage kit. I'm sure the new owner was impressed!

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ForestFan said:

That’s turned out very nicely for an old kit. Lovely job

I appreciate it. Yes, I especially love how Airfix kits always come with the option to depict it with crew all aboard. Not sure if that's the case with their most modern kits though.

50 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Age is not a barrier if you have skills 😉

Great to see any older kit finished with up to date techniques, you'd never know this was such a vintage kit. I'm sure the new owner was impressed!

Alan

My friend was thrilled to receive it in the mail! I think it survived all intact, as I didn't glue either the main or tail rotor on. Got lucky with that one.

48 minutes ago, Winenut said:

Charming and colourful!

Great job

27 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

Nice job!

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind words. It is a treat to try and polish a dusty old kit once in a while, and it most definitely helps me become a better modeller!

Cheers

Pyradus.

Kinda wish, after seeing how nicely yours turned out, that I had not gotten rid of the two Airfix and one Fujimi kits that I had. It would be nice to get a state of the art Seasprite, including the USN gunships and upgraded versions, but rotary wing models are not as popular or as numerous as fixed wing for some  reason. It would have been nice if Italeri had done one back when they were releasing helicopters left and right. You did a 4.0 job with the old Airfix kit, and BTW, those tail rotor bands are not too shabby!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1