1/48th VF-31 "Tomcatters" F-14A - USS John F Kennedy April 1984 - Completed

trickyrich

Wow this one came fast, it was a planned build I was really looking forward too but not this quick!!!

Ok this is build #4 of my VF-31 Tomcatters group of build (have the F-14D & F/A-18E built and F-4B underway).

The model of course, Tamiya’s gorgeous F-14A, there’s not much you can say about this model…….. except there’s an updated one just about to be released with flap & slats positionable and some other nice new goodies. She’s on the next must buy list….and probably will be the next model I’ll build.

IMG_4010-L.jpg

IMG_4011-L.jpg

Scheme wise, as mentioned she’ll be a VF-31 bird, I have a choice of 2 schemes, one for a early grey Lo-Vis bird off the USS Forrestal…….

IMG_4014-L.jpg

………… the other an even earlier grey bird with a bright tail off the USS John F Kennedy.

IMG_4015-L.jpg

I do like this scheme so probably will build that one…. I even for a sample photo of them …

s-l1600-L.jpg

…and just a couple of AM bits :whistle:  …… yeah ok I have problem, I know but I just can’t seem to help myself….especially when I buy 2 of the same thing…. guess I now have to buy another F-14A! :D

IMG_4012-L.jpg

IMG_6203-L.jpg

IMG_6204-L.jpg

IMG_6205-L.jpg

IMG_6206-L.jpg

Yeah I bought the Eduard cockpit stuff before the Quinta Studio Cockpit was ever around...... I have had this model for a while.

Will not be a quick start as have 2 x Phantoms, Draken or Tufted duck to finish or sort of first. But knowing how nicely this model builds up I should be able to complete her in time……… maybe.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th VF-31 "Tomcatters" F-14A - USS John F Kennedy 1982
1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Yeah, where are all the Masters pitot-tubes and M61-gun? 😇

well actually........ :D

I discovered the masters set in with my Hasegawa F-14A, which scares me (have the Avionix conversion set to turn it into a Bombcat)...... plus I found heaps of other "extra's" I'd forgotten I had. 

....... the Masters set has now been moved! :D

On gun, too many panels to remove.... and I'm lazy!

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Dansk said:

Cool. 👌

Thats a lot of aftermarket even for you Rich

you can never have enough AM stuff!  :D But yes I do know my limits and sometimes I do get a bit carried away.....but have to support these wee businesses in these trying times..... that's one of my excuses! 

• Haha 4

On 9/12/2021 at 11:11 PM, trickyrich said:

…and just a couple of AM bits :whistle:  …… yeah ok I have problem, I know but I just can’t seem to help myself….especially when I buy 2 of the same thing…. guess I now have to buy another F-14A! :D

Oh dear, that's a shame :lol:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow…… 2nd from the bottom, guess I’d better start this one!

Ok, the F-4EJ is like decal purgatory….. never ending, F-2 Digital scheme…. KUTA purgatory…. KUTA life after death?, F-4B, postal purgatory…. still waiting, Mythical Draken……. just plane purgatory! 🤣

So guess I’d better start of something that won’t send me to hell in a handbag….

….so usual blah blah blah…. Not following instruction, jumping around all-over the place, forgetting to take photos….. a normal Rich build! :D

But first up I did some extra research on the aircraft/time frame of this particular aircraft, I now have a pretty good matrix of what went where. She was a  Block 85 series in the build, so an earlyish one, with a mix of early and new bits. Still had the early 7 hole style gun cover, later standard model Beaver tail, ALQ-100, solid nose tip. Luckily all except the gun port are supplied in the kit. Plus was able to find out her standard weapons loadout as well.

That sorted, I just decided to prep lots of bits, glue stuff, add PE, glue fingers to PE/model….. but had lots of fun, so here’s where it’s at….

… flying surfaces together, the wings…. if I had been just a wee bit more careful, I wouldn’t have had to even clean up the edges, the fit is that good!

IMG_6250-L.jpg

Said now/old gun post cover added, just need to fill small gap, resin bit was not 100% perfect fit.

IMG_6247-L.jpg

I hate PE, especially this super thin stainless-steel stuff from Aumr Reaver! It’s really detailed but nearly 1/3 the thickness of the Eduard PE, so quite hard to handle. 

IMG_6256-L.jpg

IMG_6248-L.jpg

These were a absolute pain to fit, and theirs still a fan to go behind.

All cockpit detail removed…..

IMG_6251-L.jpg

….and new PE bit fitted.

IMG_6257-L.jpg

PE bits fitted into the wheel wells.

IMG_6254-L.jpg

All resiny bits given a good wash.

IMG_6258-L.jpg

This is the bag of leftovers so far, still few more bits to go.

IMG_6259-L.jpg

As mentioned I have the weapons load sorted, had though of fitting the AIM-54 Phoenix’s, but the more common mission profile was BARCAP, so Sparrows & Sidewinders it’ll be.

IMG_6246-L.jpg

Have made a good start, so can put her aside now and finish the F-4EJ……and maybe do something on the Draken……maybe! :D

Plus in a moment of madness/Lockdown fever, I’ve bought another Tomcat (that’ll be 6 now), Tamiya’s updated F-14A, the late model, well it’s on pre-order. This one come with flaps-n-slats, “squat” position for launch, deck, deck dude, and other goodies, release date in November. 🥰

• Like 14

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th VF-31 "Tomcatters" F-14A - USS John F Kennedy 1982 - started
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I’ve finally gotten to spend some quality time with this baby, gosh I’d forgotten just how nice she is to build  :wub:  , things just fit perfectly and there’s no effort required to get them to fit too.

I had spent lots of time inbetween other builds assembling bits and pieces, so yesterday was just a matter on painting lots of stuff. The main gear was assembled with new PE bits, same with the intake ramps. Lots of detailed painting now required.

IMG_6363-L.jpg

IMG_6368-L.jpg

The nose wheel well assembly is together and painted (almost), have some tiding up left to do, but as it for the most part will not be seen I won’t go too crazy here.

IMG_6362-L.jpg

The intake trunks and engine faces are done, look quite good I think.

IMG_6366-L.jpg

The cockpit work has started, will probably spend the day playing in here.

IMG_6367-L.jpg

Amazing how it’ll just sit here mostly together without any glue.

IMG_6369-L.jpg

So with a nice glass of Rye Whisky the rear fuselage went together last night and the fit!!! It’ll take just a couple of minutes with a fine polishing tick and the joins will disappear. Modelling engineering at it’s absolute best.

IMG_6365-L.jpg

IMG_6364-L.jpg

I’ll probably have the intakes painted and masked and together by the end of today.

New resin cans do look nice.

IMG_6361-L.jpg

Typical TF-30's config, one nozzle open (engine that shutdown last) and one closed. Again fit so nice I can probably fit these right at the end after all the painting is done.

IMG_6370-L.jpg

So here she sits for now.....gosh I love the look of a Tomcat, so sad they're not around anymore.......

IMG_6360-L.jpg

I so love these Tamiya models, happy I still have another 3 to build….. or maybe some more will show up…….. lots of VF-31 scheme to do!

• Like 13

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th VF-31 "Tomcatters" F-14A - USS John F Kennedy 1982 - 04/10 update

just a very minor update, been hugely busy with work!!

The QS decals have been fitted, no dramas at all with using them, just a wee bit of white glue is all that is required. They so improve the look of the cockpit, I'm still blown away by the detail in them, those wee knobs have position marks on them even!!

IMG_6371-L.jpg

IMG_6372-L.jpg

As can be seen I've started on the Legend seats as well, they are very nicely cast with nice fine detailing. There's still quite a bit of detailed painting required here. This build will now by pushed back until I finish my F-4EJ, which doesn't have that much to go before she's finished.

IMG_6373-L.jpg

...and as mentioned elsewhere my hostaged QS F-4B decals have been finally released....... that build has been pushed back to the KUTA GB. 

• Like 15

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th VF-31 "Tomcatters" F-14A - USS John F Kennedy 1982 - tiny update
On 10/16/2021 at 8:03 AM, Dansk said:

Wow the f-14’s are even more impressive than the Phantom’s. 
looks amazing when combined with the seats too.

Guess you're going to have to get yourself one or three!!!  :D

Ok some work has been done of this build too, last Sunday was a very productive day.

So like the Phantom the canopy was given a treatment with micro-mesh and polish to remove the seam.

IMG_6389-L.jpg

The forward fuselage was closed up, some really nice joins, will need just a slight touch with a sanding pad to sort out.

IMG_6406-L.jpg

More test fits with new Legend bang seats.

IMG_6405-L.jpg

The fits look good…..ok awesome!!

IMG_6404-L.jpg

Ok a smallish change to the stores load. As per the previous photo I was for a CAP loadout, but after looking at all the photo’s I have for VF-31 birds of the early 80’s this config was maybe not so normal, 4 x AIM-9s & 4 x AIM-7s. In the majority of photos I’ve found showed Phoenix pallets fitted. With a load out of 2 x AIM-9s, 2 (or 3) x AIM-7s, and 2 x AIM-54s, fleet defence config, so I’ve decide to go with.

IMG_6403-L.jpg

It looks cool and by the sounds of it was designed to cover all forms of attack, plus AIM-54’s just look soooo cool fitted!

The build is go alone very nicely, it’s such an enjoyable build.

• Like 13

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th VF-31 "Tomcatters" F-14A - USS John F Kennedy 1982 - 20/10 update