1/48 F-14B BuNo 163225, VF-102 'Diamondbacks', OEF, 2002. Finished 14/01.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my first of (hopefully) two entries for this GB - Tamiya's simply wonderful F-14D, which will be backdated and marked as an F-14B of VF-102 'Diamondbacks' during their Operation Enduring Freedom cruise from October 2001 to June 2002.

BuNo 163225 was built in early 1989 and delivered to VF-124, before being assigned to VF-101 and VF-103 before eventually serving with VF-102 from 1998 until May 2002, when it was transferred to VF-101 and finally disposed of in August 2004. During OEF, VF-102 would drop a total of 450,000lbs of ordnance while logging 5000+ hours of flight time over Afghanistan. Squadron aircrew were awarded a number of Distinguished Flying Crosses for their actions during the cruise.

The Tamiya kit doesn't need much introduction, so I'll summarise. It's the best kit ever :lol:

51458250086_a750eaf21a_b.jpg

51458981759_2e15f38647_b.jpg

Aftermarket:

51459198140_e6742a14c4_b.jpg

I'll be using the Phase Hangar Resin B conversion set (which includes seats, correct instrument panels, HUD etc), Master pitot tube, Quickboost TCS, New Ware masks and Fightertown decals.

Scheme:

51457479422_dd00bc0daf_b.jpg

References:

51458490293_216d76b9d4_b.jpg

She'll be loaded up for the predominant Close Air Support (CAS) role with either 4x GBU-12 or 2x GBU-12 and 2x MK.83. To be decided!

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

The Tamiya kit doesn't need much introduction, so I'll summarise. It's the best kit ever :lol:

.... until they made the Phantom, so 2nd best!!   :D

Gosh that AM stuff looks like what I have for mine, I even have that decals set too, though mine will be an A model.

looking forward to following this build.

• Haha 3

On 9/12/2021 at 10:26 PM, trickyrich said:

.... until they made the Phantom, so 2nd best!!   :D

Gosh that AM stuff looks like what I have for mine, I even have that decals set too, though mine will be an A model.

looking forward to following this build.

:lol: I'll reserve my opinion until I build it!

On 9/13/2021 at 11:50 AM, Christer A said:

That is one fancy CAS-machine!

I'd say go all in with LGB:s. It looks fancier 🙂

Probably will! Though later on in the cruise when less ordnance was dropped the jets regularly carried two 'dumb' bombs along with the LGBs as they were cheaper to ditch prior to landing!

You're certainly not holding back on the aftermarket in this one Dave! Although I think you need at least a couple more examples of the kit to get full value from that decal sheet ;) 

16 hours ago, Col. said:

You're certainly not holding back on the aftermarket in this one Dave! Although I think you need at least a couple more examples of the kit to get full value from that decal sheet ;) 

Have another 3 Ds and 2 A's in the stash and will be ordering one of the new A models when it's released! Plan for the D models would be VF-2 (Iraqi Freedom cruise) and VF-31 x2 (Iraqi Freedom and last cruise) and a VF-154 A model then Maverick's jet. Not sure what I'll mark the newest boxing up as though. Plus that plan could all change :lol:

• Like 2

I "need" 3 more.  2 more As and a B.  I almost had a 2nd AMK D at 50% off...but I took too long trying to decide if I wanted to update an A, or backdate a D and ended up missing out.  I still have a couple in the stash, so I'm not in any hurry.

What we really need are more low-viz non-CAG schemes.  I want workhorse markings...not gaudy CAG birds.....and yes, I know I'm in a minority.

5 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I "need" 3 more.  2 more As and a B.  I almost had a 2nd AMK D at 50% off...but I took too long trying to decide if I wanted to update an A, or backdate a D and ended up missing out.  I still have a couple in the stash, so I'm not in any hurry.

What we really need are more low-viz non-CAG schemes.  I want workhorse markings...not gaudy CAG birds.....and yes, I know I'm in a minority.

The upcoming A boxing (the one with the wings swept forward only with everything dropped) has all the bits for a B minus the engines and interior bits. The Phase Hangar set is worth the few $ as it's comprehensive and very nicely detailed to get a D right back to a B!

I do like the low-viz but hard to knock a colourful cat! Strange thing is, I much prefer the low-viz on the F/A-18E/F 😄

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-14B BuNo 163225, VF-102 'Diamondbacks', OEF, 2002. Update 14/11.

Finally, a start has been made on this one, albeit fairly minor. The ordnance and fuel tanks!

51679199401_25b0974c1a_b.jpg

Went with the 4x GBU-12 bomb option. GBU-16s and various iron bombs were also dropped by VF-102  but this was the most common option so will do nicely.

Pretty pathetic update really but it's a start! There's not a hope that I'll get this one done before the deadline so will just toot along with it and roll it into the KUTA GB. Should be a relaxed time frame in the run up to Christmas and the F/A-18 GB at the turn of the year (already!).

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 6

On 11/14/2021 at 6:30 PM, DaveJL said:

Pretty pathetic update really but it's a start! There's not a hope that I'll get this one done before the deadline so will just toot along with it and roll it into the KUTA GB. Should be a relaxed time frame in the run up to Christmas and the F/A-18 GB at the turn of the year (already!).

More soon and stay safe

Same plan for me Dave. (Also with F/A-18) 

I feel like we ‘re the kids in class who didn’t do their homework.

Let’s resign ourselves to the fact that we have no hope of passing the exam;

Casually stumbling along at the back of the class stress-free but having a good time.

Hey, we’re the maverick tough rebel cool kids 😎😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Same plan for me Dave. (Also with F/A-18) 

I feel like we ‘re the kids in class who didn’t do their homework.

Let’s resign ourselves to the fact that we have no hope of passing the exam;

Casually stumbling along at the back of the class stress-free but having a good time.

Hey, we’re the maverick tough rebel cool kids 😎😁

Difference between homework and this kit is that the latter is much more enjoyable :lol:

• Haha 1

you really do need to get moving!!  :D

I should have that new F-14A early this week, had it pre-ordered from Japan. The wings are going onto the D, have a plan in my head to do the VF-31 Last Flight one, launching for the last time..... plus I need another D for one of the USS Carl Vinson birds...so that'll take it up to 6! VF-31 never operated B models.

Scalemates has the instructions up for the new A model, the new wing setup looks cool!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you really do need to get moving!!  :D

I should have that new F-14A early this week, had it pre-ordered from Japan. The wings are going onto the D, have a plan in my head to do the VF-31 Last Flight one, launching for the last time..... plus I need another D for one of the USS Carl Vinson birds...so that'll take it up to 6! VF-31 never operated B models.

Scalemates has the instructions up for the new A model, the new wing setup looks cool!

No point in rushing it :lol:

I’ve the latest boxing en route too. Hope it’s here soon. Not even sure if I’ll use the extended wings or swap them for the retracted examples!

On 11/22/2021 at 12:49 AM, DaveJL said:

I’ve the latest boxing en route too. Hope it’s here soon. Not even sure if I’ll use the extended wings or swap them for the retracted examples!

Mine arrived last night!!!! :yahoo:  I'll post photos of her in the Reference section for those interested. The "deck" is just printed on card but it's very nicely printed, plus obviously the wing position is now fixed in this model (there are 2 new sprues, plus the old wing ones have been removed) and looks like you screw the wing box in place. Wings still slide in, plus you get some new stores as well! 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:56 PM, trickyrich said:

Mine arrived last night!!!! :yahoo:  I'll post photos of her in the Reference section for those interested. The "deck" is just printed on card but it's very nicely printed, plus obviously the wing position is now fixed in this model (there are 2 new sprues, plus the old wing ones have been removed) and looks like you screw the wing box in place. Wings still slide in, plus you get some new stores as well! 

Had a look on scalemates, it looks a very complete kit! Mine is in transit from Hong Kong still!!

I have been trying to put a thread up showing all the differences, but keep getting distracted on my own build!

Will try and post it this arvo, yon get some nice new Mk.82 slicks with it as well.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, trickyrich said:

I have been trying to put a thread up showing all the differences, but keep getting distracted on my own build!

Will try and post it this arvo, yon get some nice new Mk.82 slicks with it as well.

I've been looking at the instructions on Scalemates, looks very good indeed! Royal Mail have updated me to say it's now en route for delivery 😀

• Like 1

A bit more done and a nice relaxing pace! I started by opening the Phase Hanger conversion set. Nicely detailed parts. 

51714249445_fd30865224_b.jpg

51713640678_d3c8a30bb8_b.jpg

I didn't require all the bits as some are included in the D boxing. The seats are very nicely done, but the ejection pulls had broken in the packet. I was able to fashion the lower ones from the kit seats and thankfully @Dansk is sorting me out with the upper pulls (these aren't included in the D boxing as this version used the NACES system which did not have overhead ejection pulls).

51714037524_85df2fb016_b.jpg

Onto the cockpit itself. I'd have liked to use a Quinta set here but none exists for the B model just yet, so painting would have to suffice. I painted the screens on the resin instrument panels in gloss black to replicate them in a powered down state. A light wash was also applied to the cockpit.

51712588462_12609b7d65_b.jpg

51714249645_44cd545e66_b.jpg

The B cockpit is broadly similar to that of the A model, the major change in the front being the installation of a more traditional style HUD (the F-14A used a small camera to project HUD information directly onto the windscreen) with the big change in the rear being the addition of the PTID screen and control column on the left hand side.

Another difference between the B and D is the presence of ECM bulges beside the air intakes. Tamiya have conveniently placed locating holes to allow for correct alignment of the resin parts:

51713640418_1c010d3f21_b.jpg

Alas these parts are included in their latest A model release, 2 of which have just arrived in the post 😀 . 

51713641633_4fd9b31373_b.jpg

Note the angles of the bulges.  As all that was drying, I assembled wings, tails and stabilisers.

51714037164_f95215611c_b.jpg

I was then able to pop the cockpit in and close up the front fuselage:

51714046739_95231e7a87_b.jpg

51713640183_8e69c4d1ec_b.jpg

BuNo 163225 was fitted with the reinforcement panel around the RIOs boarding step. The vinyl piece provided by Tamiya is a great way of replicating this. Since those pictures were taken, I used an AK weathering pencil over the black panels in the cockpit to 'chip' and 'wear' them a touch.

Hoping to get the intakes painted and assembled tomorrow.

This is still the best kit ever (sorry Tamiya F-4) :lol:

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

• Like 4