The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A Pair of Kittens - Part 1

This is the first of a pair of builds I hope to make using Revell's 1/144 F-14A Tomcat boxing. The original plan for this 'Black Tomcat' version was for an OOB build, and with the exception of a Master turned brass replacement for the Alpha probe that is what I have done. Having made the decision to fit the probe early on in the nose assembly stage, the last 1mm of the said probe would give up the ghost later in the build process after I had managed to embed it in my thumb for one final time. Here, albeit a 1mm shorter in length, is my build of "Vandy One".

Grumman F-14A Tomcat "Vandy One"

Air Test and Evaluation Squadron VX-4

NAS Pt. Mugu, California, USA, 1991.

Revell 1/144

51651503241_27832ba1d3_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51650679652_542357493a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51650680177_3987dbdf7e_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51651732758_ecd008045c_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51652360325_33a15ffc89_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 24

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I actually finished a group build on time! This is the recent 1:72 F-14D from Fine Molds and in my opinion fine it is! This is the first kit I can remember building where I did not use putty at all (and I've been building since fish sprouted legs). Sure, a squeak of Mr. Surfacer 1000 here or there, but no filler. My cap is doffed to Mr and Mrs Fine Molds. Great job!    👍

I chose the Tomcat Sunset commemorative display scheme from VF-31. These markings were purloined from a Hasegawa kit, and I like this scheme because it's Gull Gray over White - the way all USN aircraft should be painted. The words "Felix Rules" that are prominent on the drop tanks are not on the Hasegawa sheet so I reconstructed the artwork in Corel Draw and printed the decals on a lousy old stink jet printer that I hadn't turned on in years. Who prints things anymore? Oh, right, modellers...     :)

I think the paint was still drying when the actual aircraft was on display at the Tomcat retirement ceremony as photos show it looking squeaky clean. Accordingly, I did no weathering or panel line washes other than a bit of grime on the wheels and in the wheel wells. The WIP thread is here if you're interested. The Fine Molds kit is engineered so that several avionics bays and the cannon bay are open and can be detailed. Although I painted the hinged panels I did not add them to the model as they would hide a lot of the detail if mounted according to my reference photos. Let's just assume that the panels were removed lock, stock, and hinges.

The only aftermarket added to the kit were some photoetched parts from Eduard designed for the Revell F-14D (including mirrors, canopy locks, seat harnesses, cockpit sidewall details, landing gear torque links and brake lines, HUD, and vent covers), a Master alpha probe for the nose (I think my doctor used a full sized one of these for my recent COVID test), and resin wheels and tyres from Res/Kit.

IMG_6177

IMG_6185 IMG_6179

IMG_6188

IMG_6170

There are a few things I would change when I build another one - the afterburner petals don't look exactly right to me and could use some resin replacements. The pitot tubes and other sensors on the side of the nose section seem a wee bit too large, but this is true for most 1:72 Tomcats. Photoetch might be better.

Looking forward to the F/A-18 group build coming up!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 20

F-14A VF-31 "Tomcatters" - USS John F Kennedy 1984

Model: Tamiya 1/48th F-14A Tomcat

Paint:  AK Interactive Real Color, and MRP, Tamiya Acrylics, Alclad Lacquer 

Extras: 

Amur Reaver – F-14 Tomcat Detail set

DEF Model – F-14A Early Type wheel set

Eduard – BigEd PE set

Legend – F-14A/B Ejection seat set LF4046

Mircoscale Decals – F-14A’s

Quickboost – F-14A Gun Cover Early

Quinta Studio – F-14A 3D Decals

ResKit – F-14A Exhausts Open & Closed set

IMG_6564-XL.jpg

IMG_6568-XL.jpg

IMG_6588-XL.jpg

IMG_6573-XL.jpg

IMG_6581-XL.jpg

• Like 24

Here's mine in NSAWC Aggressor scheme. The build thread is here  but to recap:

Kit:  04038 1/72 Hasegawa F-14A 'Atlantic Fleet Squadrons'

Build: OOB

Paints: Halfords plastic primer; Tamiya & Mr Hobby Acrylics; Klear; Flory Models wash.

Decals: Hi-Decals 72-051 for Iranian & Aggressor schemes

Extras: ACMI pod scratchbuilt; AIM-9 training round from spares

51749242690_dc1023a02b_b.jpgHasegawa_F-14_Tomcat_1_72_NSAWC_done (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51749011359_3cf2abc0de_b.jpgHasegawa_F-14_Tomcat_1_72_NSAWC_done (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51749242545_57984b9a8e_b.jpgHasegawa_F-14_Tomcat_1_72_NSAWC_done (4) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51748608593_eb8cff95cc_b.jpgHasegawa_F-14_Tomcat_1_72_NSAWC_done (5) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51748608418_ab3928b062_b.jpgHasegawa_F-14_Tomcat_1_72_NSAWC_done (6) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and your words of encouragement and to @Col. for leading.

Take care and happy modelling.

Dermot

• Like 28

• 2 weeks later...

This is my entry for this GB. It is the GWH 1/72nd kit along with Wolfpak decals to make an aircraft with one of the shortest time operators of the Tomcat, in a one off colour scheme.

The build thread is here:- 

resized_7912e82e-cda1-40d0-ad45-ff47b7f9

resized_3ca0d813-4c34-46ef-bf60-7175a14a

resized_c16fae13-bacb-4269-8bd4-2c3a219e

resized_06b72f33-a112-4ce5-aaa9-b1a12f68

resized_4faf559f-bbb0-4f6a-89f5-ce53d868

• Like 17

Kit: 1/48 Academy/Minicraft Model Kits Grumman F-14A Tomcat 

Subject:  Modelled as BUNO 160913/13 of the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Centre (NSAWC) -  'TOPGUN' -  US Navy, NAS Fallon, USA, circa 2000

Details: Modelled as per reference pics from interweb - I have taken various pics with external fuel tanks, CATM rounds, Phoenix pallets etc to build a representative of the airframe

Misc:  Mr Paint paints, Mr Color paints, Vallejo paints, Floreys Dark Dirt Wash, Tamiya Panel Accenter Dark Brown/Gray,  Hi-Decal decals set HDL 48021

Build Thread: 

FullSizeRender(83).jpg

FullSizeRender(97).jpg

IMG_0482.JPG

FullSizeRender(92).jpg

IMG_0744.HEIC

Thanks for all the support along the way, the 2 week extension and @Col. / @Enzo Matrix for their work...

• Like 19

F-14A VF-51 'Screaming Eagles'

Kit: Academy 1/72 (new mold)

Decals: Milspec for the unit markings, kit decals (Cartograph) for the national markings and data stencils.

Configuration: Built with the wings fully forward, engines shut down (one burner can open, one closed), and a load out of one x AIM-54, one x AIM-7 and one x AIM-9. I know the F-14 was generally parked, especially on the carrier, with the wings overswept, but I did hear on the F-14 Tomcast that sometimes they'd be parked with the wings extended for maintenance checks and preflighting.

Subject: F-14A BuNo 160665 of VF-51 'Screaming Eagles', circa 1979-81.

Build: Out of the box with some Eduard masks for the canopy and windscreen.

Paints: Mostly acrylic lacquers, AK Real for the light ghost grey, SMS for the dark ghost grey, black, white, aluminium and gloss coats, Mr Color for the burnt iron and transparent green on the windscreen. Also a few touches of Humbrol enamels here and there, and Mr Weathering Color used to weather the landing gear.

Comments: Only my fourth build since returning to the hobby after nearly 30 years. Overall very happy with it, and although there is much I could improve upon, and I made my fair share of mistakes in the end, it was a big improvement over my previous efforts. And that was my major aim, to build a clean model and to keep developing my skills (as well as enjoy the experience of a group build!).

The kit itself is excellent, really well engineered and goes together beautifully, with very little need for filler. If there are any negatives the main one is that the flaps and slats are fixed, and the canopy is designed to be glued shut.

The Milspec decals were very good to work with, they're a little thinner and slightly more fragile than the kit Cartograph decals, and so a tad trickier to manoeuvre into position, but they were mostly well behaved. The kit's Cartograph decals were excellent.

I've landed on lacquers as my paint medium of choice I think, I've been getting some great results with the SMS line, white I was super impressed with the AK Real and My Color paints.

I didn't really weather it in the end. I decided I quite liked the clean gloss finish, and a lot of the photos I found of the jet showed it to be very clean (at least that's my excuse!)

Build thread is here.

Gallery 2

Gallery 1

Gallery 3

Gallery 4

Gallery 5

Thanks for looking!

Gerard

• Like 15

Grumman F-14A, Bu.No.159855

NSAWC 10 1996-99

As represented in 1998

Kit

Revell 1/144

Aftermarket Parts

Resim - F-14A resin detail set, F-14 Wing set

Master -Turned brass Alpha Probe

Paints

AK Real Colors - Adversary Blue, Aggressor Blue

PollyScale S - FS36440 Gull Grey

Lifecolor - FS36375 Light Compass Grey, FS36320 Dark Compass Grey

Revell Aquacolor - Various for details

Decals

Fightertown - Adversary Bad Cats

Having built my first kit as it comes in the box, I thought that for this second build I would see what I could do using the Revell 1/144 kit and some aftermarket parts. The Fightertown decals I had bought some time ago but had not got around to using them, however I was keen to have a crack at one of the splinter schemes on this build.  I made masks for the pattern by scaling up the decal profile sheets and cutting out the relevant areas. It was also my first use of AK Real Colors paint, and when thinned down with Mr Color Levelling Thinner they sprayed beautifully.

Here 159855 is portrayed as she appeared around 1998 and at some point around 97-98 she sported a grey canopy and a darker grey area on the nose. The decal sheet says that the colour was FS36237, but I could find no colour with that reference, so assuming that the call out was a misprint I chose to go with FS35237 which seemed to be close to that shown in the profile, and was used on Tomcats in the three greys scheme.  Anyway here are my photos of the finished model.

51794455754_287f4b794a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51794455499_490704748f_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51794207688_e9aa1e58cc_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51794820150_36b220e026_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

and a final shot of both builds together.

51794455634_4bb9980427_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 17

Hobby Boss 1/72 F-14A VF-1 Wolf Pack, 'Easy Assembly Authentic Kit'

Kit supplied decals

Eduard interior PE and paint masks

Aero-bonus resin figures

Modified to be 'in flight'

Mr Color lacquer paint (and the odd bit of Tamiya and Vallejo).

Kit went together well and seems to be pretty much just a rebox of their older F14 kits, had a few paint woes and could have done with a final flat coat but happy with the results. Build log here

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17