Avro 504K Air Ministry descriptive handbook from 1923.

Geoffrey Sinclair

3 hours ago, NORTHDUK said:

How do I download a copy?

I was able to download a copy as JPEG images, one page at a time. For some reason, TIFF images would not open in Photoshop on my computer. Here's how I did it:

1. In the main window, scroll to the page you want to download.

2. In the download control panel in the left frame, select desired format and resolution by clicking on the radio buttons. 'Range' should indicate the page showing in the main window, for example, "Current page scan #1."

3. Click on the rectangular "Download" button. A new window will open with the file name and its source and asking you what you wish to do the file. Click "Save file," click "Okay," then in the next window, find the folder (or create a new one) in which you wish to save the file. Rename it if you wish, then click "Save."

4. That's it.

• Thanks 2

@Geoffrey Sinclair,

Thank you for your reply.  I have never come across Hathi Download Helper but will certainly try it.  It sounds as if it would speed up the process of downloading books and periodicals considerably.

I've never had much luck with the Hathi Trust but this sounds like the answer to the problem.

@Space Ranger,

Thanks for your reply.  It certainly looks as if your method would work well.  It's a pity that they only allow downloading of one page at a time. It makes for a very slow and laborious process and is presumably intended as a deterrent.

Many thanks again to you both for your help,

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

12 hours ago, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

There is an public domain program "Hathi Download Helper"

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hathidownloadhelper/

It will download the individual pages and merge them into a PDF file.

I didn't know about that, but it will not run on my ancient but honorable steam-powered FrankenMac.